That "BIG" room sound. Advice needed.

• Members

Been tracking demos for a couple months, and about to start actually getting sounds I want for my album. Right now I am in a tiny, soundproof studio that has been great for ease of recording. But I want much more ambience, so I am going to do some tracking at my house:

Basically I am confused as to what makes a room useable acoustically. I understand phase issues and frequencies, but not overall room sound. How do you elimnate crazy waves without making the room "Dead?"

My new living room has 11 foot vaulted ceilings, hardwood floors, and plaster walls. It has a nice natural reverb ambience to it that I think drums would sound lovely in. I havent moved things in and started testing yet... but thought I would ask before I start. It would seem opposite my intention to tack heavy blankets everywhere, and neighbors shouldnt be a problem.

Anyone have experience in rooms like this? Any tips to getting a big open ambient sound, but not a mess.

Im much more of a re tune, move things around kind of guy than a "fix in the mix" kind of guy.

• Moderators

You can try to break up some of the slap by moving furniture into places that will obstruct a straight refection. If you have a china cabinet in there for instance, you might angle it some. Turn any tables on their side and do the same. The ambience should be nice as long as you don't get a ping going from the slap. Refine your ambience if you can with diffusion.

Use close mics and room mics. Give yourself options. One thing I did was stick a mic around the corner in the other room. That sounded cool.

Sounds like a good time! What kind of beer should I bring?

• Members

I do things like roll up large carpets and stick them in the corners, and put things in front of large windows. Diffusors are wonderful (bookshelves filled with books is one great solution, but there's others).

But first, try and mic up the drum set and see how it sounds. If there's problems, then try and address them. If it sounds fine, then start recording!

Well, since the ceilings are vaulted, I doubt the floor / ceiling geometry is parallel. Some of your side walls might be though, and parallel walls can produce slap and flutter echoes. If that is indeed the case, try breaking up the flutter echoes by applying thick blankets to the wall on ONE side... leave the other one untreated. IOW, if your east and west walls are parallel to each other, a blanket on one or the other (but not both) may help. Ditto that for the north / south walls.

Furthermore, placing those blanket(s) several inches out / away from the walls (instead of directly on them) can also increase the low frequency absorption a bit. And as Ken said, re-arranging the furniture a bit and sticking rolled up carpeting into the room corners might also be beneficial.

Don't forget to experiment with the actual placement of the kit within the room... you might be surprised by the differences in sound a different placement in the room can give you. :)

• Members

Originally posted by Lee Knight

A picture's a good idea.

Ken's makes sense with the listen then fix perpective. One thing though... slap your hands and listen for the ping, then kill it.

See? Once in a while I actually make sense! :D

Yes, clapping your hands is a good quick way to check for funny pings. And banging on a snare is not so bad either.

Carpets in the corners.

"Bass Traps" for the kick: I get a sofa and plop it in front of the kick drum, and then stuff blankets tightly underneath. Is it ideal? I seriously doubt it. But it's better than nothing, that's for darn sure.

RealTraps are really useful. I have four of those. But darn it, those actually cost money!!! :D

Archived