Help! Can't afford change strings so frequently

expertune

• Members
Originally posted by warriorxtman

10 pack of D'addarios from MF for $30...if you can't afford that, you can't afford to flush your toilet for the water bill.
:)

I don't often see eye to eye with warriorxtman, but he has a point. Buy in bulk. It's much easier to take a $30 hit every couple of months than to take a $5-$10 hit every week or two.

I mean, on the couple of guitars of mine that get played the most, I change strings about once or twice a month and usually only have to buy a couple of the 10 packs per year. It's also a great go-to gift for my family to buy me. Every year my mom sets me up with about 20 packs of guitar strings, a couple sets of bass strings, and a few dozen picks.:cool:

• Members

10 pack of D'addarios from MF for $30...if you can't afford that, you can't afford to flush your toilet for the water bill.

:D :D :D

I don't flush my toilet every time!

If it's yellow, it's mellow...

:thu:

I'm a cheap bastard I guess, but for some reason the water bill kills me!:confused:

• Members
Originally posted by ExtraGum

:D

I don't flush my toilet every time!

If it's yellow, it's mellow...

:thu:

I'm a cheap bastard I guess, but for some reason the water bill kills me!
:confused:

You forgot the other half.

If it's brown, flush it down.

• Members

Originally posted by expertune

I have sweaty palms that cause guitar strings no longer playable very soon. I use a kind of Gibson string lubrication to protect strings. It doesn't help much.

Any idea/solution? What kind of strings I should use?

Thanks

try steel strings. in my experience they are much less prone to corrode and whatnot then nickel strings.

• Members

Darn, MF doesn't ship to Canada... BTW, the water bill, shoot, I almost forgot. Can anybody tell me how to minimize toilet flush?

• Members

Agreed 100%. DRs are the only strings that I can get to last at least a month, they actually sound a little better I think when they just start to go flat, lose a little of that brightness. I prefer Tite-Fits, but hi-Beams work well also. The rest of the brands, 2 weeks tops. I also use Dr. Stringfellow String Cleaner and Lube on them. Put some on right when they go on and about a week later.

Originally posted by ExtraGum

DR Strings are the best strings I've ever used.

The ones I use (Tite Fit, Pure Blues) are not coated in any way, but it seems they decay and lose their snap slower than any brand I've used.

I can't stand Elixirs and similar.

• Members

i use d'addarios, which are half as cheap as ernie balls here, so i can replace them twice as often..

There is a great little device, you MAY be able to get in the USA, but over here anyway, its called the string swipe. You just fold it over the string and run it up and down once or twice on each string after you play. The swipe is impregnated, but lasts ages.

It SHOULD save you money.

Also, you could try washing your hands with soap BEFORE playing to dry out your hands a little and you won't sweat as much.

• Members

1) Wash your hands before playing to remove excess salt.

2) Buy a ghs Fast Fret. They are only about $5 and last a long time. I've gotten about a year out of mine and it's still got life left in it.

The Fast Fret is a real easy way to wipe the strings down after playing, so you'll be more likely to do it.

I'll sometimes slide a piece of white paper under the high strings to get a better look at them. If they are the color of a graphite pencil line drawn on the paper, you've lost too much tone to keep em.

• Members

I've got acidic sweet and I can't stress it enough to wash your hands before you play. I've got 60 guitars here and that's a lot of strings to keep fresh.

Find out how much a box of strings costs at a store you frequent. Many times you can get a good deal. Also, try different brands. I get an hour off Fender strings, but GHS and Gibson last me much longer... but everyones body chemistry is different.

Archived