Control Surfaces....worth it??

• Members

I've always used a mouse for my mixing, but I can see the benifits to using a control surface. Whatever you're used to, how can changing multiple paremeters at the same time not make things easier?

But

Control surfaces are expensive. As someone already says, it seems like a lot to pay for a glorified mouse. A control surface is definitely on my shopping list, but there are a LOT of things ahead of it.

• Members

There are many things I can do with keyboard shortcuts/mouse very quickly. Track groups are especially handy. It may take me a little longer, but it gets the job done.

I do sometimes wish that someone would make a videocassette-sized control surface with one or two high quality faders and few buttons. I would use it for vocal rides and things like that.

• Members

I have a control surface built into my new weighted 88 MIDI keyboard but I haven't bothered sussing it out yet.

What I DO use, at least when I'm recording in the center of the room, away from the computer, is a small $20 infra-red remote. It has a receiver that plugs into my USB port. It comes mapped for typical media player/presentation uses, MusicMatch, Winamp, Powerpoint, and a whole slug of templates. The relatively tiny receiver software reads the foreground app and interprets remote signals accordingly. I remapped it in a way that made sense for me using it with Sonar (there were only 17 keys on the unit I got, so I had to think about what I really needed... but it works out great, as a rule. I can record take after take, moving back and forth from track to track, enabling/disabling rec ready, etc).

Only minor bummer is it uses a couple of camera type batteries... I bought replacements at Rite-Aid and they were $3.50 a piecce... All of a sudden, it took $7 worth of batteries to power my remote for a few months. BUT, I did some searching and found a "wholesale for everyone" joint that had retail card multipacks for $5 for 5 batteries -- a whopping savings. I bought 3 cards of batteries. So I think I'm probably fixed at least until I lose or step on the remote...

And one of these days, I'm gonna figure out the control surface on my keyboard -- if only so I can set up the drawbars for use with my organ plug ins...

• Members

Good call... one thing about IR -- it's line of sight. RF goes around corners and through (some/most) walls.

All that said... once I got my little $20 remote I liked the idea so much I found myself thinking... gee, if it only had a few more controls and maybe some metering... the Tranzport looks pretty cool. ;)

I learned to record and mix WITHOUT computers -as many of us here-. When I switched into computers I was not into control surfaces. You know... a mouse can be enough... NOT.

I got my company's flagship new toy and I'm eating my words now. The same can apply to Digi002, Command|8, Tascam's, etc :

Read this: once you have tactile control over faders and reach plug-ins with the touch of a button... YOU CAN GET BACK TO THE DAYS OF MIXING WITH THE EARS.

Yes... grab those faders and identify all the controls of the plug-in... then close your eyes and move those controllers until you find the sound you want. Mix without being worried about looking to the screen...

And yes, it is way faster to work with a GOOD control surface. If you can afford 100 mm 10-bit faders and rotary encoders, you're in heaven.

Yes, they are worth it. Just buy a quality, good support and compatible board. :thu:

• Members

I have a Command 8. I like it well enough, but I really would love to have a scrub wheel on my board. I have a trackball next to the board, but it would be nice not to have to jump back and forth.

I'd consider selling it if I could find a decent replacement that does that and would integrate well with my 002R/ProTools LE setup. I haven't researched the available options though.

I'd definitely agree with Gus that it's much easier to mix when you can do it with your eyes closed.

• Members

The jog wheel was one of the reasons why I opted for a 002R/MCU setup instead the 002, though I like the one unit convenience and thus firewire connection for the controller. And correct me if I'm wrong as it's been a while since I compared features, but you also can't access memory locations (though you can create them), enable an automation mode, or even save. The overall "feel" was also a factor. I know some didn't consider the MCU because they didn't think it worked well with PT, but I took the leap of faith because of the success of the HUI, and I'm glad I did.

Peace

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Regarding why not to just go for the Tascam 2400...

sure it has 24 sliders, but it doesn't have any way to know what they map to w/out looking at the computer screen and doing the mapping in your head. It also doesn't have any timecode display on the unit itself.

That's what keeps me focusing on the MCU.

--Mike

Archived