Hartley Peavey's take

jjpistols

• Members

Hartley Peavey's paraphrased opinion about his products:

"I can't believe people buy those hand-wired, point-to-point, higher quality component and craftsmanship amps from the 50's and 60's. LOL!!!!!1111 What makes them so great, when my chipboard cab and computer chip amps are just a such a huge {censored}ing value! GAWD!!!!!111 LOL!!!!1111

How can boutique builders charge so much for their PTP, high-quality amps that take them the same amount of time to build one as it takes us, the greatest company in the world, to build 100. How can that friggin' be? LOL!!!!!!11111 What are they doing charging a mark-up? Are they trying to make profit or something? EVIL CAPITALISTS, I say! LOL!!!!!11111 My products are such a fair value!!!!!111 BUY THEM!!!!!1111 I hate it when boutique builders fill their amps with chicken-{censored}!!!! LOL!!!! They are so misinformed!!! The rat feces we put into our amps is SO SUPERIOR!!! LOL!!!!11

My amps are such a DAMN GOOD VALUE!!!!1111 Maybe no one realizes it, but chipboard is a damn good tonewood for a cab. It's indestructible!!!! LOL!!! It's so much better than the crappy solid wood used in boutique cabs!!!!!111 What's with this PTP wiring? Hello, this is the 21th century!!!! LOL!!!! Computer chips rule!!!!1111 LOL!!!!!

Buy my stuff!!!111 It's not better, because it's cheap. It's cheap, because it's better. Or something!!! LOL!!!!!1111"

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Originally posted by OldFenderGuy

There was a big thread about this a month or so back....

Bottom line was that no guitars are actually "made in the USA", as imported components are used on all of them. They are actually "assembled in the USA", with
most
on the components being manufactured here.

And yes, that includes Fender and Gibson.
;)

Anyone know if the plastic part accessory kits from Fender are MIA? If not, are there any MIA plastic parts? Those are the only parts on my Warmoth that may not be US made.

I feel like a cork-sniffer.

• Members

Hartley Peavey is pretty much like Ed Roman, talking {censored} about other companies and their practices in order to make his own seem better. I've said this before, but if hes trying to cut us guitar players such great deals, why do his USA guitars sell at the same price as equivalent PRS? Wheres the value and the deal he is apparently passing on to us? I dont see it, I just see another big company trying to make a buck like anyone else.

• Members
Originally posted by jec

I'm thinking that for Thanksgiving, I'll invite John Mayer over for dinner.

While he's enjoying his turkey and wine, I'll look at him and go, "MMmmmmmmmmmmmmmm." and he'll look at me and go, "MMMmmmmmmmmmmmmm" then, I'll suggest that we sit on the couch and just kinda chill and watch the foot ball game.

Then, when he starts to snooze and dream his turkey dreams, I'll scream and the top of my lungs, "MMMmmmmmmmaaarrrrgggghhhhH!!!!!!" and I'll beat him in the neck with that steel rod that you use to sharpen the carving knife.

Then, when he begs for mercy, I will yell, "There might be room for squares but there's no room for you!!!!! FINISH HIM!!!!"

Then, I will give him the Kit Kat fingers to the throat box and yell, "Ryu-ken!!!!"

After this, there will be no doubt that I am, truly, THE JOHN MAYER FIGHTING CHAMPION OF THE WORLD!!!!!!!

Oh dear. :o

• Members

I think the real problem with Peavey (other than the name) is that they have really pigeonholed themselves to the hard rock and metal genres over the years with the exception of the Classic line. Then the problem is that those hard rock and/or metal guys that survive the the beginning-intermediate stages of guitar playing to buy a more expensive amp either go for the tried and true Marshall or the hardcore metal lines of amps.

Then those players that might be interested in the tones of the Classic series go for Fenders (because they do better cleans) or Marshalls (because they do better distortion). Those Peavey's just seem to do a middle of the road thing better.

• Members

Originally posted by AtomHeartMother

I think the real problem with Peavey (other than the name) is that they have really pigeonholed themselves to the hard rock and metal genres over the years with the exception of the Classic line. Then the problem is that those hard rock and/or metal guys that survive the the beginning-intermediate stages of guitar playing to buy a more expensive amp either go for the tried and true Marshall or the hardcore metal lines of amps.

Then those players that might be interested in the tones of the Classic series go for Fenders (because they do better cleans) or Marshalls (because they do better distortion). Those Peavey's just seem to do a middle of the road thing better.

thats exactly how I view their products as well. They do some things decent, but not spectacularly enough to hold me over forever. I was in the market for a high gain amp (I dont play NU metal just so you know lol) and was looking at the 5150 or XXX, but after playing with them, I just opted to save up some more money and get a Mesa single rec halfstack, it does the job better, and the build quality is superior. I am sure even if I bought one of the peaveys, I would probably trade up for a mesa or rivera knucklehead etc eventualy....

• Members

There was a big thread about this a month or so back....

Bottom line was that no guitars are actually "made in the USA", as imported components are used on all of them. They are actually "assembled in the USA", with
most
on the components being manufactured here.

And yes, that includes Fender and Gibson.
;)

I have been inside the Gibson Factory and I can say that with exception of a few switches and pots the rest of the guitar was built right here in Nashville. I would think that would easily qualifiy for a "made in the USA" label.

• Members
Originally posted by Ripfence

I have been inside the Gibson Factory and I can say that with exception of a few switches and pots the rest of the guitar was built right here in Nashville. I would think that would easily qualifiy for a "made in the USA" label.

Same as Fender; "Assembled in the USA using Domestic and Imported Components and Woods".. ;)

• Members

Same as Fender; "Assembled in the USA using Domestic and Imported Components and Woods"..
;)

I don't think that there are many companies that use USA wood anymore. Or am I wrong? Doesn't most mahogany come from other countries? I'm sure maple and ash come from the US, but what about alder, basswood, and rosewood?

• Members

Who cares if the wood comes from outside the US?
Some great woods come from outside the US: Africa, Brazil, and beyond!
That's the whole point of exotic woods!!! People love them, they're only available outside the country!
The only "exotic" wood that comes from the US is Koa. Yeah, I understand the contradiction there between "exotic" and "USA."
Even many woods not classified as "exotic" come from other countries.

Since when did anyone buying a USA-made guitar care if the wood was imported?

• Members

Originally posted by AtomHeartMother

I think the real problem with Peavey (other than the name) is that they have really pigeonholed themselves to the hard rock and metal genres over the years with the exception of the Classic line.

well why not? they've had the C&W genre pretty well wrapped up for 30 years, along with most churches and schools

another point not yet mentioned - when it comes to the import line, those come from factories owned by Peavey - not the same factories spitting out nearly every other brand produced in Korea/China/wherever - they have complete control over the product - that's pretty cool and different

• Members

Originally posted by ColorsoundKid

What difference does it make? Peavey is the one saying all boutique stuff is a ripoff. If you can't look at that and see it for bull{censored} you are a moron.

Boutique companies are sticking it up the customer's ass? This is a guy who runs a business, no less. He obviously has no clue, or he is simply seeking to discredit the boutique movement. It's a threat to his money-making.

Well you have {censored}ty reading comprehension to say the least.

I don't see him generalizing about all boutique companies at all.

Furthermore, the boutique companies are nowhere near a threat to his business....you've got to be smoking CRACK to believe that. Look at where the bread and butter of his business is.......they are working man's amps....they do not cater to the same clients....not even close.

Furthermore, your JSX price is way off too....it sells for $250-$300 less than that....$1200 is the MAP price.

• Members
Originally posted by Vox Boy

I have owned and still do a couple fender amps, vox and marshall.

I also own a couple peavey classic series amps. Name one of the above companies that hasn't put out amps (certain models) that were not pure {censored} including peavey. My very first guitar was a Peavey T-60 natural ash with maple board (1979). Still have it to this day.....one of the best sounding playing and best built guitars I have ever played. Check out user reviews on this site.

I was having a problem with one of my classic amps that was years past the warranty, I called peavey to see if they could help trouble shoot the problem. I talked to a few people (very very nice) when one of them asked me to hold for a moment. The next voice on the phone said "Hello...Hartley Peavey speaking. At no charge to me they sent a couple of tone posts and resistors. Peavey is O.K. in my books.
:thu:

I still have a 1978 T-60 (patents applied for model) that I bought new when it first hit my local store. I like that better than any other electric I've tried. Truly great and versatile guitar. One of the best bargains out there to this day. My biggest problem is getting my 15 year old son to set it down so I can play it.
:thu:

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I went to a blues show last night and WC Clarke was playing an old 70s vintage Aims Les Paul copy through an old Peavey Bandit. His harp player/sax player was playin through a much bigger Fender Twin. They sounded great. I see alot of blues shows and I'd say Twins and Dr Zs seem to be the amps of choice. WC is probably the first guy I've seen playin through a solid state. Long live Peavey! :cool:

• Members

Originally posted by thx1136

To me the deal with old or vintage stuff is more of finding something that is incredible by weeding through stuff that isn't. I don't think 'every' Bassman or Deluxe or Plexi or whatever is going to be a great amp - same with guitars. But there are great ones around. I have a '56 Fender Pro (which runs very reliably as does my Dual Showman) that sounds wonderful with my '69 ES 335. That doesn't mean it'll sound great with your Strat, PRS, McNaught, etc. It's a combo that works for me and, most likely, very few others.

The comment about the talented players using that vintage stuff is even more to the point. We human beings are basically lazy and want to find a way to sound like out favorite player without going through all the sweat they did. So what do we do? We buy the same gear as they use figuring we can sound the same as they do. It ain't gonna happen. There are so many variables from gear down to one's approach to the instrument (finger pressure and the like) that affect the tone/sound one is going to achieve. Should you give up on getting that sound you hear? Of course not!! Just don't get hung up on whether it's old or new - use what works for you regardless of what's fashionable or in.

yep, the man is correct

nopw get off the net, learn a riff or two to play, and hit the shops and try spme stuff

• Members

Originally posted by Wolf-Gain

I've been talking "complete bull{censored}?" Have you even read what Bruce Bendover has been claiming? He's a tool. I've been reasonable. Get over it.

You certainly prove my point, every time that you post, that you are an asshole.

• Members

HP may be pushing his own agenda but lets just consider what was actually said.

Originally posted by jjpistols

Hartley Peavey, from the new issue of Guitar World:

"There are people who actually believe that the best guitars and amps that ever will be were made back in the Fifties. I think that's ludicrous.

Maybe I've drunk the kool-aid, but I have to agree. Sure there are some truly amazing instruments from 'back-in-the-day' but over time the level of knowledge, craftsmanship, skill, and innovation have increased and the best guitars of today stand head and shoulders above what came before. I'm not sure I would include Peaveys but I didn't hear Hartley naming specifics either.

I don't want to recreate the glories of the past; I want to build the best guitars and amplifiers that ever will be."

A great sentiment, but that's about all it really is, just a sentiment. I'd love for him to do it - he certainly has the resources to try.

"The biggest frustration of my career is that people assume that you get more if you pay more. And that just isn't true. I went on the internet and saw some boutique amp company had basically built a Champ amp - way less than $100 worth of parts and a ridiculously simple circuit in a little chicken-{censored} box - that he's selling for $1,700! And there are probably people misinformed enough to pay that."."

Obviously a generalization, as most people would agree that often you do get what you pay for. Likewise I don't read this as an assault on all, or even most boutique manufacturers - just some. The ones who are selling mojo more than quality, and we have all seen them. Snake oil salesmen are all over the guitar market, to pretend otherwise is to be willfully blind to their bull{censored} and the gullible souls who buy into it. Hell, the ridiculous prices for 70s Strats is a prime example of just how P.T. Barnum everything has become.

"I've never charged what the market would bear, only what I thought was fair."

Um, this is laying it on a little thick. If he means he believes he has never gouged anyone then o.k. I think he may believe that. If he thinks we will believe he never designed a product to meet a price point then he's the one whose being fooled.

"But because I'm telling the truth, some people belive I'm the one building the low-quality stuff."

O.K. but maybe some of this rep was rightfully earned, eh Hartley?

"They
want
to believe the very guys who are sticking it up their ass."

As a generalization this is completely true. It's human nature. How many of us bitch about the product reviews done during the honeymoon period? Why? Becasue they are not as critical or meaningful as one done later. Like it or not, when somebody lays down serious green (actual amounts vary from person to person) they have a vested interest in their own sense of satisfaction, this skews perception.

I don't hang on HP's every word so maybe he's said some other things that are causing him to draw so much fire, but from what was quoted at the start of the thread. I really don't see much here to argue with.

Archived