A Thread About Gear Safety At Gigs..SXSW Story.

sventvkg

• Members

Buddy of mine got a vintage ES-335 sunburst stolen right off the stage at a club in Austin....Full club full of people, band members, musicians and him!! Theives are getting brazen AND really good!!! Good thing was because of Twitter, text messaging and Facebook they got the word out FAST and it was recovered today (within 48 hours)...

That said, I used to play in Europe and downtown Copenhagen the pubs can get rowdy..At this place Rosey McGee's the stage is right near the front door and it get so crowded that on your break you would have to sit there to keep and eye on your gear. I had my Taylor 714ce with me so I wasn't about to leave it. What I did was get a backpack lock thing from REI for my gear bag and I combination bike lock for my guitar case. I wrapped that lock around the handle and the buckle lock and then wrapped it around the brass railing in front of the stage. I locked the gear backpack to it...It would have taken someone some tools and time to get my stuff and this effectively stopped my gear from being a target of opportunity. Thought I would share that. Anyone else ever do anything similar to protect your gear at gigs?

• Members

I don't take my eye off my gear, basically. During set breaks I'll get a drink or whatever but I'm facing the stage or playing area.

I'm more concerned with the walk to the car at the end of the night, sometimes. I like to walk out with other musicians around.

• Members

i "heard" a story about a guy who just finished playing a party, who put his dan armstrong in the case and went to fetch his tuner. when "he" turned around his guitar was gone. so he ran the only way there was to run. "he" saw a pickup truck with people in the back yelling "come on come on" and noticed some movement in the trees flanking the long driveway to his right. he barreled through the trees and came to a clearing where he found a very large person sitting on the ground huffing and puffing as if he had been running from something and got tired. "where's my f____ guitar?" he yelled adn the large man could muster just enough to point in the direction. "the guy whos guitar got stolen" then proceeded to hold and swing the solid lucite guitar like an axe and soon the very large man got very sleepy and his head probably hurt in the morning.

another time "my friend" worked at a bar and a band just got finished playing. a man, who probably thought he was a roadie or something, ran down the street with the guitar. a group of people caught up to him. the guitar was returned to the people and the only thing missing at the end of the night was the "roadies" teeth. they were found by the curb.

these stories are good deterrents for these situations. now the bastards just steal the vans and trailers.

• Moderators

oddly enough, a while back I was stopped by someone while removing my own guitar from a club (we were in Tulsa for the Geezerfest*, a bit off my usual circuit)...I had to take it outside to tune it (too crowded inside) and the guy thought I was lifting it...fortunately for me, I had two things going for me...one, about thirty people there who knew me...and two, that particular guitar is a custom made model with my initials as teh logo on the headstock. I thanked the guy profusely, though, for his diligence, and bought him a beer... :thu:

*for those of you who are unfamiliar: Geezerfest was started a few years back by a bunch of us old guys in the Cool Jam Forum. Blue Strat and I met at the first one...but did not get a chance to play together.

• Members

I always keep my eyes on my gear whenever I am out playing. I have heard stories of people's stuff get stolen and I am not going to let that happen to me.

I really liked your method of locking up your equipment to the brass railing, sventvkg! Definitely will remember that for the future!

Archived