FedEx just dropped off a new PRS...

Dean Medlock

• Members

...that I did not order. The box has my wife's name on it. I know she doesn't play guitar (and really has no intention of doing so), so I'm suspecting this is supposed to be my Christmas present.

There's a tag on the box that says..."Custom 22/Emerald Green/WT/T/GH"...it came from Sweetwater, so I went to their website and looked at it...and damn, it is nice.

Believe it or not, I asked my wife to return it because I don't like the W/T neck and I don't like or use trems. I also asked her to return this because I know how much they cost, and I also know she probably charged it...and the last thing we need is another bill. And I told her that I already have a PRS Custom 22.

I really love my wife, and she's one hell of a woman...but sometimes I wish she would think with her head and not her heart.

• Members

Be carefull that she is not playing in your back. Some woman can do that when they feel guilty !

;) Joke

Mush

• Members

I was in a somewhat similar situation last X-mas.

My wife ordered me a Martin 00028EC, the $2900 Eric Clapton model. It wouldn't have been my first or second choice, (maybe third) but I didn't want to disappoint, so I've kept it.

But like yours, the surprise was also blown. I didn't see the package, but she had ordered other stuff for the kids as well from AMS, and she had a question with the packing list from one of the other shipments. She was showing me the packing slip without realizing that it had the information from the other shipments also printed on there. :rolleyes: I didn't say a word to her about it, but I could feel myself turning white from the shock as I was reading "Martin 00028EC".

And then after Christmas and well into June, I had to pay most of all of the household expenses while she made those 5 "E-Z" payments charged to her credit card of almost $500 a pop. :eek:

Part of me wanted to send it back because you really need to be a very articulate player to make those guitars sing, and I'm more of an electric player and fairly rudimentary with an acoustic.

But I kept it and it gives me something to strive for.

P.S.

I agree with you on the W/T necks. I have a PRS CE22 with birds, figured maple cap, etc. I grabbed it off the shelf because the price was right and I really liked its tone better than its cousin they had sitting next to it, but it had the W/T neck. I thought I'd learn to love it, but I haven't. "Where's the beef". Sort of my philosophy to a neck design. Cuz I like to dig in rather than be a shredder on the fly.

• Members

I don't think I could have returned it.

I had mentioned to my wife, christmas before last, that I had seen a used fender blues deluxe (tweed) at the local music store.

Come christmas, she made me open a box that contained a fender shirt. I got excited, but a little scared. The next box was far too small. Some cheezy salesman had talked her into a solid-state Deluxe 90 for more $$$.

I tried.

I tried so hard.

But me and Mr. Solid State just don't see eye-to-eye.

I had to take it back.

I still feel bad.

But a clerk there told me the Blues Deluxe had come back repeately, and they just couldn't seem to fix whatever was wrong with it. So he sold me a HRD for $100 more. At the time that added up to his cost.

I wound up with a nice amp, but still feel bad for my wife, who tried SO hard.

• Members

Originally posted by Burgess

Wow....

Great way to break your wife's heart.
:(

I've learned to just accept gifts whatever they are, it really hurts the giver when you kind of throw it back in their face, but when it can affect the financial situation of a household its a tough call........ if I was well off I would have just kept it:(

• Members

that's a tough one.

I know all too well about not really being able to afford big purchases. I just sold every one of my guitars but one back in the summer.

I also know all too well about looking a gift horse in the mouth.

The bottom line is that owning it makes you feel guilty, not happy, so it's having the opposite effect that a gift should have. If your wife understands this, then I don't think there's anything wrong with sending it back.

• Members

Originally posted by jasevenny

That's a bit harsh. She was just trying to do a good thing.

Seriously.

One of two things is going on here.

1. You wife has no idea how to manage money and has no idea when she can and cant afford something, or...

2. Youre a controlling tightwad.

• Members

If my wife bought me a guitar..... first I'd have to wipe the jell off my chest left there by the paramedic's defibulator paddles..........

... and then I would lead her to the bedroom and [----------CENSORED-----------] and [----------CENSORED-----------] until the neigbors complained about the noise. ;)

BTW... My 20th Anniversary PRS should be here this week. I bought it myself though. ;)

If you think you're impressing us with your G.A.S. self control... it's not working. ;)

• Members

Cool car!

Originally posted by db never

My wife will not be able to top last Christmas. She got me this...

car.jpg

My wife thought that also when I bought her this a couple of years ago...

IMG_0417.jpg

...so last year I got her this.

car.jpg

• Members

I think it's nice when a loved one tries to feed the GAS. Luckily, my wife understands that music gear has to be matched to the musician and doesn't mind when I return stuff.

I guess she's been about 50/50 with surprise music gifts over the years...

Fender P-Bass Lyte: A real keeper. MIJ with active controls. She got an Asian guy to audition it at the store because he had small hands like me. :D

Tama drum throne: For a drum kit I had borrowed for a few years. Still have it and use it.

DigiTech Whammy Pedal (the first year it was introduced): It went back to the store since I wasn't gigging at the time. And thought it was kind of a one trick pony. Now I wish I had it - to put on Ebay.

Yamaha DT Express electric drums: cuz I'm a drummer at heart.

Fancy, shmancy Dunlop wah in a velvet bag: That went back, too, since I wasn't gigging at the time.

Misc percussion: Now I've got a box of this stuff. Fun at parties.

Nowadays, since I have more than I need and gig regularly, she mostly sticks to "gig shirts".

SR

Archived