Worst Tone from a Major Recording Artist?

curseoftruth

• Members

This is an easy one, and I'm not going to pick on all of the overly distorted, tone dead metal bands out there. I've noticed this consistantly poor tone from this artist on about every record and song they have ever made.

And the Oscar goes to: Mick Mars of Motley Crue..

Sounds like a solid state Randall amp running a Boss Metal Zone. Really staticy, no body to it. Just cruddy static distortion that is really flat.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by mikeyzc

metallica has been my favorite band since '89 and still is, but their guitar tone on St. anger was TERRIBLE

+1 even though I've only really heard it on SKOM.

I don't think tone gets more {censored}ty than Evanescence. I even like a few of their somgs, but the band needs to be replaced by session players with real guitars and amps.

• Members

Originally posted by curseoftruth

I'd have to disagree about Nickleback, I heard a new song on the radio the other night that actually was sounding ok guitar tone wise.

This isn't the band you hate the most either. I like some of the early Motley stuff, just that the guitar sounds like ass.

I seriously don't like their tone. Not a big fan of them as songwriters either.

I also don't like Mudvayne's guitar tone.

• Members

Originally posted by guitarslinger213

+1 even though I've only really heard it on SKOM.

I don't think tone gets more {censored}ty than Evanescence. I even like a few of their somgs, but the band needs to be replaced by session players with real guitars and amps.

+1000 on Evanescence. Horrible tone.

Your avatar is kickass. I love those album covers on Ebaums.

• Members

Jack White is not the worst but not the best either. I find people wanting to rip on SKOM, I think Hetfield gets some nice bluesy hard rock tone on that album. Yeah the drums and the mix suck, but the guitar is not overly poor. Mixed poor but not tone poor. I don't like U2 but I wouldn't rip The Edges tone, it does what it is supposed to.

And Zakk having brittle tone? I don't really like his tone but its not brittle by any means nor weak. Its sterile EMG tone for sure.

Don't mention artists just becuase you hate them or don't like them, thats not the point. Like I said, Motley Crue has some great stuff on the first two records that are classic, but the tone of the guitar is just not very good on those and actually gets worse on later albums.

I am a huge Neil Young fan, but I have to admit that his tone is somewhat annoying at times.

• Members

Originally posted by curseoftruth

Jack White is not the worst but not the best either. I find people wanting to rip on SKOM, I think Hetfield gets some nice bluesy hard rock tone on that album. Yeah the drums and the mix suck, but the guitar is not overly poor. Mixed poor but not tone poor. I don't like U2 but I wouldn't rip The Edges tone, it does what it is supposed to.

And Zakk having brittle tone? I don't really like his tone but its not brittle by any means nor weak. Its sterile EMG tone for sure.

Don't mention artists just becuase you hate them or don't like them, thats not the point. Like I said, Motley Crue has some great stuff on the first two records that are classic, but the tone of the guitar is just not very good on those and actually gets worse on later albums.

I am a huge Neil Young fan, but I have to admit that his tone is somewhat annoying at times.

Moley Crue?? - I love his tone it's so raw and in your face. For me it would have say any EVH album after 1984, a real let down.

• Members

Despite not particularly caring for them, Evanescence never really struck me as having poor tone. To me they sound very over-produced, almost Linkin Park-ish. But their tone never jumped out at me as being poor.

I can't really think of any one band that hasn't already been mentioned, so I'll cast a vote for the worst "live" tone I've ever heard: These Arms Are Snakes. They had the most ear bleedingly bad tone. WAY too much high end.

• Members

Keef on "Sympathy For The Devil" is high on my list too, mainly the lead tone. That has to be one of the thinnest, trebliest lead tones ever.

Metallica's tone sucks on St. Anger..muddy, indistinct mess plus crap songs. The ..And Justice For All tone is the opposite, it's really thin and buzzy plus kickass songs. I really think they had their best tone on Load and Garage Inc.

Evanescence..well, the only thing I can remember is that out of tune disaster video and the guitar tones were horrible on that.

• Members

Originally posted by LaXu

Evanescence..well, the only thing I can remember is that out of tune disaster video and the guitar tones were horrible on that.

I love that video. I also love Amy Lee's "Wow". Makes me laugh just thinking about it.

The band was tuned to the album. The orchestra, piano, and singer were 1/2 step down.

Unbelievable how dissonant parallel minor 2nds can sound at concert volume.

Archived