Nitrocellulose=overrated

Angry Grimace

• Members

it reacts bad to some stands

Main complaint about my '78 Guild S-300... has stand-rash on the back of the neck... I hardly notice it when I'm playing anymore, having had the guitar for 10 years, but when I look at it, grrrr.

:mad:

• Members

IMHO you have to evaluate a finish on a few different points than just tone influence when discussing this issue because finishes are there for more than one reason in the first place...you have to consider the level of protection, appearance, level of care required, susceptibility to damage, durability, ect. as well as considering if the finish has an effect on the guitar's tone. Nitro is not a make or break for me, but the playability and tone of a given guitar is.

• Members

Originally posted by sandfly

I think that's called addiction .
:D

Just like a crack head won't turn a good deal on some meth! Not quite what he wants, but will do the trick!

I like nitro finishes personally. I don't think I iever shopped for a guitar based on finish though.

• Members

There was a time when you wouldn't have even considered posting this thread. :rolleyes:

Me - I don't care one way or the other.

My S-500 has a great looking poly finish and a satiny poly neck - feels fine to me.

My Axis has a tung oil neck - that feels fine too. I think it has a poly finish.

My 335 has nitro - feels fine to me too. It's harder to keep it looking clean.

Hamer supposedly used 17 coats of nitro on my Monaco. It doesn't look any better than my G&L to me.

• Members

Originally posted by Stratmaster

Mr Mow hit it on the head!

A well done guitar is a well done guitar.

I prefer poly.

Nitro finish is not a very hard finish. It rashes easy, it reacts bad to some stands, it checks (cracks along the surface after some time) it scratches if you touch it wrong.

Next we need to discuss if color effects tone. I know my white guitar will sound better then ANY red guitar out there!

Pick your guitar on how it plays not how it is finished.

Guitarist are interesting "musicians". Solution to "bad tone" buy a new guitar, amp or pickups. Not what you want? Buy another! Try that with pianos. Well I dont like the sound I get out of my baby grand.. BUY ANOTHER! (they start at like 10Gs and take up about 20 sq ft).

Stratmaster

LOL. True,true. while different guitars may sound better it really comes down to how good you play. In other words how much time you are willing to practice. My dad has been playing the piano since age 6,same one since '66 btw, he's 70, and he still plays 1-4 hours every single day. If you own 50 guitars and your tone still sucks it's doubtful that it's the guitar that makes you suck.

• Members

maybe I'm weird, but I like the fact that it gets sticky when my arm sweats, that way my arm stays put on the guitar... when I sweat on my RG570, my arm starts slippin and sliding all over the place:freak: .... something else to keep in mind about nitro finishes, they are cheap and easy to repair, poly is not, though poly is more resistant to small scuffs and scartches, but big dents and such are worse on poly and harder to repair. Just a thought:wave:

Archived