Optimal mic hole size for 22" kick?

• Members

In all these years, I don't know why this hasn't crossed my mind more often. Today, I'm downstairs tinkering around, changing things up a bit, and got to thinking about changing the size of the hole; then I realized that maybe...just maybe...someone's charted out optimal sizes for kick drum mic holes.

Beuller? Anyone?

• Members

smaller the better... in my opinion.. lets the heads resonate and do there thing as much as possible... kicks sound best with no hole but the micing is hard unless you use a may internal mic system. but they are a pain in the ass.. i used one for years..

i hate that 70's dead open front sound.. same with the open taped up concert toms.. that crappy cardboard sound..

• Members

I use a #10 coffee can, literally.

I learned this trick a long time ago. Put the head on a flat surface that you don't care about, scrap wood, work bench, etc. Take a #10 coffee can, and, using a propane torch, heat the edge of the can for a bit, then place it where you want the hole. It will melt a perfectly round hole through instantly, and create a nice edge that will resist tearing.

I make the hole offcenter on the opposite side as the snare, I find that creates a bit more low end than in the middle, and helps with snare leakage.

However I agree, the best sounding kick is no hole. For recording, this really doesn't pose a problem, and you can still dampen it to your hearts delight. I use a front and back mic, the front mic giving me the meat, the back the attack. Typcially I use Shure Beta52's for both. Often I use a speaker mic as well for added sub lows. I use cotton blanket scraps as damping as needed outside both heads, and the shell of an old 24" kick to suspend the speaker mic, and to use as a tent support for a heavy packing blanket that I put over it and the kick drum to help isolate the mics from bleed.

Archived