setting up windows xp

• Members

hi... sorry if this has been hashed out before...

i want to do fresh install of windows xp, and am wondering if i will have to connect to the internet in order do do any necessary updates... i really don't want my music computer to be online unless i have no choice...

any other things i should be aware of before i do this? i want to completely erase the hard drive and get rid of all crap that is not for music editing, and also don't want windows to install anything other than is necessary...

thanks a lot...

paulski

Or, if you'd rather not connect the DAW to the Internet at all, you can use a second computer to D/L any upgrades and then burn a disk and sneakernet that to the DAW machine for installation. I tend to do things that way. I virus check the disk twice - once at the Internet machine and then again at the DAW before installing anything.

Most any copy of Win XP you're likely to find in the stores these days is SP2, which has most of the major updates you're likely to want / need. A lot of the times, the updates are just patching Internet-related security holes, and you really don't need those unless you're taking the machine online. IOW, unless it is an update that addresses a problem you're having, I normally would recommend just a standard SP2 installation. Of course, you can choose what to install, which I recommend. I pull MS Messenger off, as well as a few other things I don't need. The less that's there - beyond the stuff I have to have - the better I personally like it. ;)

• Members

thanks for the info... i'll have to find out what sneakernet is... i have version 2002 of windows, whatever the heck that means... i assume that you don't have virus protection on the music computer?

thanks a lot... i have waited too long to get past my 20 bit adat, although i have dabbled with some daw programs... now, i am trying to dedicate a computer for the studio...

thanks for a cool site... ustadkhanali, aka ken, sent me here...

next is to figure which daw to run without breaking the bank...

paulski

• Members

Originally posted by paulskirocks

thanks for the info... i'll have to find out what sneakernet is...

Maybe I'm missing some sarcasm here, but sneakernet is a longstanding joke. It means to put something on disc and walk (in your sneakers/ tennis shoes/ sandals/ barefoot) to the other computer.

Airplane-net would be burning a bunch of DVD's, loading them onto a 747, and shipping them to their destination. :)

• Members

no sarcasm on my part, in this case, although i like to think i'm an expert on sarcasm! i'm one of those guys that knows what lol, or lmfao is, and that's about where my lingo ends...

what i was wondering was if microstuff required a connection for the upgrades, or if i could use sneakernet... see, i'm learning!

thanks,

paulski