Is there a reference chart?

• Members

Wondering if anyone can point me to a chart that shows some form of 'recording 24 bit @96k of 12 tracks' uses how many gig per? or 24/48k per x tracks on a 36 gig SCSI gives?

What is the math equistion used? Can it be found out there?!

Thanks,

blas

Here's some "close enough" figures for various common sample rates and bit depths:

16 bit, 44.1 kHz = 5 MB per track minute

16 bit, 48 kHz = 5.5 MB / track minute

16 bit, 88.2 kHz = 10 MB / track minute

16 bit, 96 kHz = 11 MB / track minute

24 bit, 44.1 kHz = 7.5 MB per track minute

24 bit, 48 kHz = 8 MB / track minute

24 bit, 88.2 kHz = 15 MB / track minute

24 bit, 96 kHz = 16 MB / track minute

All of those amounts are in "track minutes"; in other words, per single mono track recorded for one minute's time, you will need approximately that amount of HDD space. You can see from a quick glance at the figures that doubling the sample rate doubles the storage requirements. Going from 16 to 24 bit, while staying at the same fs (sampling frequency) requires 50% more storage space. For example, a one minute 16 bit 44.1 kHz mono track will take about 5 MB of storage, but a one minute long 24 bit 44.1 kHz mono track recording will require 7.5 MB of storage.

For calculating multiple tracks, locate the amount for a single track at the sample rate and bit resolution you're using, then multiply that amount by the amount of tracks you're recording.

24 bit, 44.1 kHz = 7.5 MB / track min. X 24 tracks = 180 MB per minute. Track a 5 minute long song and you're using 900 MB total... 180 MB per min. X 5 minutes.

Of course, that doesn't take into account alternate takes, undeleted false takes, extra tracks, etc. etc. I've done plenty of recordings where we've used way more than 900 MB for a single song. ;) Actually, single songs in the 2-3 GB range are not at all uncommon for me. YMMV on that of course. :)

• Members

Phil, Thank you sir for the info. I've heard (not sure where),of freeware that can give you a "running count-down" of disc space left as you track along.

I just don't know where to find it. :confused: NOW THAT'S what I need to find!

blas

• Members

Originally posted by blas

Phil, Thank you sir for the info. I've heard (not sure where),of freeware that can give you a "running count-down" of disc space left as you track along.

I just don't know where to find it.
:confused:
NOW THAT'S what I need to find!

blas

Not necessary, and it's just something else to sit there and use up cpu and disk power. If you're really that low on hd space, either clean it out or buy a new one. Check the amount of available space before the session starts. If you've got at least a couple gigs free, you shouldn't have any problems, unless you plan on leaving all 24 tracks recording while you go out to lunch.

-Dan.

• Members

Originally posted by blas

I just don't know where to find it.
:confused:
NOW THAT'S what I need to find!

blas

MOTU Digital Performer has just such a feature in the recording monitor window. It shows a "time remaining" column as you record the audio.

Don't know what other programs have such a feature.

• Members

Sonar, too, has a count of free space on whatever drive you're currently recording to, in MB and percentage. (There's also a drive load meter, too.)

If you use Windows but your DAW doesn't have such a report, just open a Win Explorer window one level above the drive in question (ie, My Computer)... in Details mode (as opposed to Icon view, List view, etc) you'll see the MB total and amount free for each drive.

Archived