Im in pain!!!!! My Gibson, .....!!!!!!!!! @^%#!!!

fuzzylogic220

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

thanks for all your "it will be ok's" Im in for a 3 hour drive
(one way) tomorrow to take it to a repair shop, I live in kentucky, where ky va and tn all meet. The people i called in Knoxville tn said that these guys were really good. so wish me luck, they said it would take probably a month to fix it and refinish it. depending upon the break and if they have to cut some wood away and incert some more. I duno but i dont think they will have to do that.

wish me luck.

The guy who knocked it over was a visiting youth pastor from cali. that we had preaching the youth event. He is the youth pastor at this huge church in cali. where Head, from korn goes, and various other famous people. He gave me his email and said that he would be willing to do anything he could to help me. But i emailed him and told him the he didnt owe me nothing. I have been given mercy, and i must give mercy. Reguardless of how much money he has. It dosent matter, It will all turn out ok. God owens everything!!! He could cause Gibson to call me up, not even know why they are doing it and say were going to make you a custom guitar. You never know. All i know is that God is in control of my life. I play guitar for him. (maybe this was his way of saying JOE you need to pratice more ) :D jk. well wish me luck on my trip tomorrow.

• Members

That SUCKS!

If it makes you feel any better (which it won't) a friend of mine had his Taylor 12 string on a performance stand before a gig last weekend and the roadie's teenage son asked my friend if he could play it. He said sure. The kid played it and when he walked away the guitar went flat on it's top. Hard. Cracked it all the way around the side from fretboard to fretboard about an inch and a half from the top. Came apart! Nobody saw what actually happened but I'm thinking the kid hooked the cord with his foot. Because I have one of those stands for my acoustic and it's bottom weighted. No way it went over on its own. The roadie offered to pay for it and the kid felt like crap but..... he was so mad and upset that he didn't know whether to cry or punch the kid's dad. He actually was pretty cool about it.
He found one on ebay for $1300 and replaced it.

• Members
Originally posted by fuzzylogic220

thanks for all your "it will be ok's" Im in for a 3 hour drive

(one way) tomorrow to take it to a repair shop, I live in kentucky, where ky va and tn all meet. The people i called in Knoxville tn said that these guys were really good. so wish me luck, they said it would take probably a month to fix it and refinish it. depending upon the break and if they have to cut some wood away and incert some more. I duno but i dont think they will have to do that.

wish me luck.

The guy who knocked it over was a visiting youth pastor from cali. that we had preaching the youth event. He is the youth pastor at this huge church in cali. where Head, from korn goes, and various other famous people. He gave me his email and said that he would be willing to do anything he could to help me. But i emailed him and told him the he didnt owe me nothing. I have been given mercy, and i must give mercy. Reguardless of how much money he has. It dosent matter, It will all turn out ok. God owens everything!!! He could cause Gibson to call me up, not even know why they are doing it and say were going to make you a custom guitar. You never know. All i know is that God is in control of my life. I play guitar for him. (maybe this was his way of saying JOE you need to pratice more )
:D
jk. well wish me luck on my trip tomorrow.

Hey man, as a Brother in the Lord....I prayed about this, and I DEFINITELY feel that I got STRONG direction from the Lord to advise you to:

CHOKE THE LIFE OUT OF THE GUY!

LOL I'm kidding.....it's admirable you're being so cool about it. I truly do hope, however, that the guy responsible steps in and takes care of it, I do feel it is his duty, just as much as it's your duty to forgive hiom for it. Good luck with it!

• Members

I nearly had a broken R9 today.

Had it in a softcase and it slipped off my arm, no damage done.

Then I was playing and the strap lock came off and plummeted to the floor (on to the front of it... again) luckily no damage just knocked out of tune.

God must like LP's today. :o:)

• Members

I've repaired a few of those. Pretty simple and harmless. The real trick is to make the remaining hairline crack invisible which requires overspray and buffing.

Some tips. Get that guitar into a case fast. Put a plastic bag over the headstock. Don't remove the headstock from the neck..And don't remove the strings. Don't let anything get in the crack.

The luthier will simply inject epoxy into the gap, clamp it all up and wipe off the excess. The trick is to get the epoxy deep into the crack/gap. I recommend slower curing epoxy to allow it to sink in good before you clamp up. That honey thick stuff might take more than 5 MINUTES to work in there and you don't want it to cure too fast before you have time to clamp. I think the slower curing stuff is stronger too.

I'm of the opinion that the repaired guitar neck WILL be stronger it was than before the neck broke.
Usually the neck breaks along it's weakest point where the wood is the thinnest. Since you are gluing there, it will never break again at that spot. It might break someplace else...but since that spot isn't the weakest spot on the neck it will offer more resistence

• Members

Gotta' watch the epoxies. Some have a small amount of 'creep', especially at temperature extremes. PVA has less, hide glue has none.

PVA can be thinned with water to inject into the crack-this will also swell the wood fibers back together.

But DON'T try-fit the break! The first fitting is always the cleanest!

Larry

• Members

One thing my repair guy does is wets the wood, lets it expand.. glues it, clamps it, leaves it..

Reckons the wood shrinks back down and creates a cleaner 'crack line'..

But I'm glad you are getting it done by a pro.. nothing worse than bad home fix jobs (shudder)..!

• Members

Originally posted by larryguitar

Gotta' watch the epoxies. Some have a small amount of 'creep', especially at temperature extremes. PVA has less, hide glue has none.

PVA can be thinned with water to inject into the crack-this will also swell the wood fibers back together.

But DON'T try-fit the break! The first fitting is always the cleanest!

Larry

Epoxy is stronger than the other glues you mentioned. Forget about hide glue. You can open up a violin glued together with hide glue with a thin blade. As for temperature extremes, both are way weaker under heat/humidity conditions than epoxy.

Epoxy is the one glue I fear when trying to open up a guitar for a neck reset or major repair. Nothing removes it or weakens it. Which is why cheap Asian guitars are hard to do neck resets on. The neck is glued in with epoxy. You can't steam it out.

• Members

Originally posted by fuzzylogic220

I'll let the pictures do the talking............... It got knocked over at a Church Tonight. It was a Standard Plus, now............ its a complete TURD....... I feel like diping it in water.

that sucks!

dont worry gibson has a repair shop.

send it home for a visit

http://www.gibson.com/Products/Places/Repair/

next time you are in church make sure you have a sg and this wont happen, the devils horns will protect you

lol

• Members

Originally posted by guitarcapo

Epoxy is stronger than the other glues you mentioned. Forget about hide glue. You can open up a violin glued together with hide glue with a thin blade. As for temperature extremes, both are way weaker under heat/humidity conditions than epoxy.

Epoxy is the one glue I fear when trying to open up a guitar for a neck reset or major repair. Nothing removes it or weakens it. Which is why cheap Asian guitars are hard to do neck resets on. The neck is glued in with epoxy. You can't steam it out.

Any epoxy can be weakened by heat. Here's what Frank Ford (Gryphon Instruments, and one of the absolute BEST repairmen around) says about headstock repairs:

Regarding a nasty Martin peghead repair-

"Hide glue is the stuff if you're worried about heat exposure, and I'm always worried about heat exposure.

On a worse Martin peghead repair-"Some nice hot hide glue would hold the peghead together, and would have made a nice repair in itself on the treble side. The bass side would need more help. Hide glue has terrific resistance to heat and is strong as the devil, so I have good confidence in it for long service."

On this page, Ford gives epoxy just an 'OK' for headstock repair, where both hide and cyanoacrylate get a 'good.'

Frets.com Glue Chart

Epoxy is strong in tension, not so good in slow, ongoing pressure, where almost all epoxies exhibit 'creep'; the slow (almost glacial!) movement under unyielding pressure. Some epoxies resist better than others (Westsystems has some that are designed to resist creep in particular), but generally epoxy would only be used on a headstock if extreme gap-filling were required.

Larry

Archived