MIM Strat sounding dull

XH913X

• Members

any suggestions on how i can get more life into my strat? it just sounds lifeless and dull. it really lacks sustain and its just weak sounding. I put in some GFS reverse staggered anlico pups in it and thats the only mod I've done. Its just not real fun to play because its so weak and lifeless. any suggestions?

• Members

hmm thanks, im doubting its my playing...im getting like 2 seconds of sustain on the upper frets and was wondering if it could be how the guitar is set up? im the 3rd owner so i really dont know what the previous owners have done with it...any help?

Thanks

• Members

im playing through a traynor ycv-50, w/ a VS Jekyll & hyde for overdrive. im also getting some fret buzzing on the 12 fret on the low e string. ive never really had to mess much w/ my les paul's set up so this is all new to me.

• Members

Well, a lot of us like to think that 3 months isn't a long time for strings, but it is. You might try new ones.

Make sure your pickups aren't too high, their magents can overpower the string vibration and kill sustain. THese days a lot of people crank them really high to get a lot of output, but there is a sweetspot that shouldn't be passed for optimum tonal range and performance.

Of course, it could just be the wood.

-Y.

• Members

Originally posted by XH913X

any suggestions on how i can get more life into my strat? it just sounds lifeless and dull.

I know how you feel. I have an MIA strat that is like you described. It's probably not the strings, but it wouldn't hurt to change them.

I was able to improve my wife's MIM Classic Series strat by installing an OEM made in U.S. Fender Vintage tremolo. The Mexican Standard units are not great for sustain. The Mexican Classic Series tremolos are a bit upgraded, but even so they are not great units. You can see the differences here:

http://www.guitarpartsresource.com/gbridge_genuinefenderstrattrem.htm

Also, I think that guitars with tremolos need heavier strings (I use .011's). And it never hurts to use a bone nut and upgrade all of the electronics (including the pickups). I put Abby Ybarra-wound 69's on my dead sounding American Series. That, along with the heavier strings yielded a noticeable improvement. I took one of the trem springs out (it now has two), and that seems to have helped. When I had three springs, they were too "relaxed" and I think they were absorbing energy. So it soundes better after the upgrades--still it lacks the really high end shimmer of my $2000 Custom Shop NOS 56 Strat, but it's now in the acceptable range.

I change my strings every 6 months on all but my two main gigging guitars. But it's really super dry in Colorado, and I don't sweat when I play.

• Members

Originally posted by -Bong-

Pretty sure it won't be so dull after you change them.
:D

Throw some BLUE STEELS on there.
:o
fun
:)

One thing I've learned within the past year or so is that "pure nickel wound strings" can sound pretty dull compared to nickel plated or as Bong has suggested, pure stainless steel.

Now I don't know what your last string installation was. 3 months isn't that long, but it is if that guitar is getting all or a lot of your play during that time.

So try strings with different string compostion and as others have mentioned, make sure your pups aren't adjusted up too high.

I fixed my middle of the road MIJ strat by putting Fender Texas Special Pickups in it.

• Members

you mentioned buzzing, maybe the neck needs adjusting or possibly the action. these things when not set correctly (for a given guitar) can make it sound very dull and lifeless.

even if all your parts are stock (other than the pups you installed) im willing to bet with a good setup (and fresh strings) the guitar could sound as classic and powerful as it should

Archived