Another SS vs. Valve thread

deva_da_man

• Members

Originally posted by deva_da_man

Interesting article found here:

I personally will start buying solid state products that can emulate tube driven type sounds perfectly, as long as they're cheaper.

but there will always be die-hard fans who will never let go of the past...

Did you check the date on this article? It's not really news.

• Members
Originally posted by deva_da_man

I personally will start buying solid state products that can emulate tube driven type sounds perfectly, as long as they're cheaper.

but there will always be die-hard fans who will never let go of the past...

I'd buy them too. But I don't think that day is here yet.

• Members

Well some tech 21 sansamp stuff really kicks ass. I don't know if they are spending much time and money on bringing sansamp technology to an even greater level but what they have now rocks.

My trademark 10 amp is one killer little solid state amp thats rocks for home apartment amp that also doubles as backup for playing live or band practices (driving a a larger amp or direct and for recording. I still wish they made the same amp in 2 channel format with separate eq, vol,gain, mini switches and extra footswitchable clean boost for solos. If they improved upon the tueb emulation too that would be all the better. By the way the trademark 10 (and 30) absolutely kill the 3 channel tri ac sansamp pedal tone wise and versatility wise.

• Members

For me the day when they can equal the tone is here. Maybe not the exact playing dynamic, though they're more than close enough for what i want. I have to admit went SS (with a decent OD pedal) a long time ago for cost reasons; once i could afford a great tube amp I ended up choosing to go digital anyhow.

If it looks like a wheel and rolls exactly like a wheel, you'll never see me paying out twice the price for an actual wheel just because it's "the real thing". But there will always be (an ever shrinking band of) those who will.... I would expect over the next ten to 20 years we'll see tube amps gradually disappear from the mainstream, and become a very custom, boutique thing for a small number of players who don't see the need to, or simply won't, move on from tube technology.

Something that i actually think would help to push this process on would be if you could buy high-quality, non-modelling digital amps. I'm a Valvetronix guy now myself, and I'm really glad I made the switch - for a long time i wasn't into the idea of so much choice, and especially built in f/x.... but when they got cheap to the point that I could look at it as buying the amp and using just the bits i wanted (as it turns out, i get a lot more use out of all of it than I'd have thought), I went for it. I could still see situations though where I'd be wanting to have a little 1x12" combo that looked exactly like a little tweed 50s amp. Say you're in a band where you're gonig for a certain look, you don't need the range a modeller offers, but you could still have the convenience and sound quality of a digital model of that single amp..... Plus given what they can pump into a Microcube or a Valvetronix at such a keen price, can you imagine how cheap a "single modelling" model could be? That's where and when i think we'll start to see the breakthrough. The visual side of it is very important - I personally didn't like a lot of the early modellers as they were too "futurist" in look for me - love my big Vox (it looks like a bionic ac30 - the only real difference is the blue cloth and the VT label.

as far as bass and acoustic are concerned, of course, valves became obsolete years ago IMO.

• Members

I've owned both. I don't actually mind whether the amp I play is driven by silicon or valves, as long as it produces the tones I want. Currently I'm building valve amps and therefore using valve amps most of the time. However for 10 years before this I used SS with my processor and was very happy indeed - in fact I am still struggling to reproduce the purity of some of those tones with valve power and ditto the strength and power of some of the drive tones.

I do own a hybrid amp, and that also works quite well.

Archived