Line 6 POD. OMG.

• Members

hi, you can check this out, i recorded this heavy song with m-audio 1010LT, gibson les paul standard 93 (with drop Csharp B on top), PODxt with metal pack (triple rectifier and mesa cab).. and of course the tone is just my preference, some people dont like it.

bass was Warwick streamer (5stings) with PODxt too

http://www.purevolume.com/hongkongmetalband

• Members
Originally posted by chili1222

hi, you can check this out, i recorded this heavy song with m-audio 1010LT, gibson les paul standard 93 (with drop Csharp B on top), PODxt with metal pack (triple rectifier and mesa cab).. and of course the tone is just my preference, some people dont like it.

I will check it out this weekend when I can get a wireless connection (I still have crappy dial up).

• Members
Originally posted by chili1222

it does sound better then NI GR 2.

• Members

Maybe you should just get a BOSS MT-2. :D

Seriously. This pedal is capable of a very wide range of tones. It can scream and it cleans up with guitar volume chnages better than any other distortion pedal I have used.

I never use the gain channel on an amp anyway. I always use the clean channel with some sort of front end. And I do have a Peavey Classic 50 VTX 2x12.

• Members

Since we record cabs at such low volumes (quiet neighborhood ) we combine a room mike & a cab mike ---with the direct outs of the guitarist amp, and the accessories they bring to the studio. Most use pedal/boxes they prefer > Hughes/Kettner, Love, SansAmp ... We provide the TC G stuff in our racks. Very little thrashin/hard rock is ever been recorded here, though:

Hey it all gets down to a MP3---my ears can't tell a ribbon mic on a vintage amp...from a 58 on a $50 Behringer amp. Now give me vinyl ~ recorded from a 2in,,from a classic studio. It's there~!~

3 guitars here --all with very, very low volume cabs

Blues Junior or a Crate

SAVE YOUR LIFE

• Members

I'm glad I have a simulator. I can throw down quick sounds and, with the ToneLab, have them sound surprisingly good. But all the best tones I've gotten are through my amp with a mic stuck in front. Still, though, so convenient.

You know what does sound really good to my ear is going direct with my bass through my Roland Bass Cube 30. That thing never fails to get compliments, and so far, every bass player that's brought his rig over has been blown away by it and has wanted to just go through the Roland instead. Kinda strange...I'm so used to sticking a mic in front of everything.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I don't think anyone needs to have an excuse to use a simulator over a real amp. If you hate them, more power to you, but I LOVE the Line6 XT sound, both Pod and Bass Pod.

Does the Rectifier sound like a Boogie stack? I have no idea, and if you haven't recorded the two in identical conditions, neither do you. All I know is that for the type of music that I do, a tube amp through a 4X12 miked with a ribbon will NOT get me the sound I need, nor will a Les Paul through a Twin.

So does that make my guitar sound less valid? Does that make my music less valid?

I'm seeing a lot of anecdotal opinion being strewn around like fact on this thread.

For the original poster, a Pod XT may be just the ticket for you to get a stable recording sound. It will certainly eliminate a lot of variables. Just buy it from somewhere that has a return policy, if you can.

• Members
Originally posted by zeronyne

All I know is that for the type of music that I do, a tube amp through a 4X12 miked with a ribbon will NOT get me the sound I need, nor will a Les Paul through a Twin.

So what kind of music do you do?

Why do you prefer the sound of the LIne6 over micing your guitar for your style of music?

Do you prefer the Line6 XT over some of the other simulators out there?

Are there kinds of music that you prefer micing over using a simulator, and if so, what kinds of music?

I'm not being facetious or trying to goad you into something. I'm genuinely curious.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I posted this up in the amp section here. First time over in recording though.

This track is all PODxt with a device I use called the Buffer2 from Red Iron Amps ( http://www.redironamps.com ) not only for the guitar, but as well for the Bass which then went direct (no POD here). It not only works with the POD great in direct mode, it also serves many purposes in mix mode for drums, vox or other lifeless guitar parts already tracked.

There's an article on it in the latest TapeOp mag. My mix engineer did the article and used mine for the article.

A bassist buddy has an endorsement with Traben Basses and needed to do yet another clip. So I used my Tele Special, Lil 59 in bridge using the PODxt's 18w Marshall model for the rhythm guitars, Jumped Plexi patch for most of the lead, and the Bomber XTC model for some of the lead bursts and effected guitars.

This clip is called the "Tooled Mix" and it's about a minute-fifteen in length. Sort of a mix of Tool and Satriani inspired sound. Hope ya like it! Go here...

http://www.myspace.com/andyztunes

• Members

Thanks for sharing the POD is very underrated, the key is taking the necessary time to make it work for each persons particular needs. Personaly I usualy have presets, after modifacation (for hours) I was able to make many awsome patches that work for me. Also don't forget to try new things such as running it through an amp while the unit is set on direct.:thu: