Favorite set up for "77" punk...

voneville

• Members

Originally posted by augustin25

We have a fairly nice 2/br apartment here in Mountain View. It's not huge or spectacular, but the complex looks good, residents are all middle class: $1600 a month.

Beat you - we rent a three-bedroom house in Santa Clara for $1800/month. There are bargains out there, you just have to search 'em out!

PS: When I was playing punk (back around 1980), I pretty much stuck to a black custom telecaster through a Kustom amp. I sure wish I had that tele (I don't recall, probably a 74 or 75) back. I sold it for $150 bucks!

• Members

Originally posted by augustin25

We have a fairly nice 2/br apartment here in Mountain View. It's not huge or spectacular, but the complex looks good, residents are all middle class: $1600 a month.

maybe I was exagerating. You can find nice places but there's a lot of s***holes around here. My old place was pretty nice except my roommate had his car stereo stolen and we had to live the sirens from hwy 85 and Los Gatos Community hospital. 2 br was 1300/mo

o yeah, did I mention that I love Craigslist?:D I actually almost moved up to Mountain View to live with my friend but staid here in Campbell/Los Gatos (border) because my job is here, the awesome access to freeways, and it's an easy commute to SJSU

I'm afraid the only thing I know about punk is that I used to love Rancid in the 90s and Matt Freeman is the man

• Members

Originally posted by jjpistols

Ramen gone

RAMEN LIVES MY FRIEND!

Im a friend of Mike Ramen, and used to help run shows when the Richmond location was new about 6 or 7 years ago, long before John the Baker stepped in and really made the place a "propper" venue.

But no, Ramen NEVER actually shut down. At least as far as being a venue. Things got REALLY quiet after that whole thing with people dying at that glam metal show. Slaughterhouse kinda picked up where Ramen left off, but now Slaughterhouse is gone too.

But Johm still puts on shows at Ramen, its not as crazy as it was like 3 or 4 years ago when there were like 3 shows a week, or free beer shows (yes, I said free beer)

But yeah, I put on a show at Ramen just back in November.

If ur touring up in the bay, especially if ur headin to Ramen, give me a heads up JJ!

PS {censored} Campbell

• Members

Originally posted by orourke

For what it's worth, I played on the NYC punk scene back in the late 70's and early 80's like CrackerD said, we played whatever we could get our hands on, we probably spent more time shopping for used threads then worring about gear. But most of us liked to use Fender Twin Reverb amps if we could get our hands on one. My band used to do gigs with Johnny Thunders band, and he told me to just turn the volume and mid all the way up. And that's how most of us approached our sound.

That's pretty cool! I've never been as much of a gear head as most of the guys here. For a long time my rig was a fender bassman silverface 50 watt with a 2x12, an epiphone sheraton II, then a PRS, and I used a couple different distortion/OD pedals. I recorded the bottom of the bottle 7" E.P. with the rickets when I was 15 and I played through a peavey rage plugged into a 100 watt peavey P.A. head with 8x12's! That was actually a good sounding set up, but definatley not practical for gigs, or for getting around on the train (when most people were saving for a car I was buying gear).

I got rid of all my {censored} when I joined the navy (had bills to pay before I left town). I was so broke the first two years in the navy the best I could afford was the affinity squire and a marshall MG30. That got me by for a long time. It wasn't tell I started playing in bands again last year that I started upgrading guitars and amplifiers. I make a lot more money then I did 8 years ago when I was fresh out of boot camp. It's just ironic that a really nice gig worthy rig (2 guitars, a pedal and an amp) cost less then the Gibson I bought and sold last year. The Squire Tele Custom was a christmas gift from my wife. It's the most comfortable guitar I've ever played (for me).

• Members
Originally posted by No Soul

PS {censored} Campbell

And {censored} skankin pickle while we're at it :) I dated a girl from campbell, and she wasn't from cadillac drive. She was a DJ as KSJO or something. I used to DJ at free radio berkeley back in the day.

• Members

Originally posted by orourke

For what it's worth, I played on the NYC punk scene back in the late 70's and early 80's like CrackerD said, we played whatever we could get our hands on, we probably spent more time shopping for used threads then worring about gear. But most of us liked to use Fender Twin Reverb amps if we could get our hands on one. My band used to do gigs with Johnny Thunders band, and he told me to just turn the volume and mid all the way up. And that's how most of us approached our sound.

that's awesome Steve - got any good Johnny stories?

a couple years back, pre-reunion and all, I stayed up all night with Sylvain and my drummer and a couple other folks after a show here in town - he told Johnny stories all night, he really loved that guy

• Members
Originally posted by walfordr

London was an expensive place to live at that time.

It still is, bub. Five years on from buying my flat in the East End, i wouldn't be able to afford it now ('sa gone up about seventy grand since then - yay for day jobs). but hey, I'm punk as {censored}. A rich girl from SF told me so once.

And don't knock sensible property investments - it's how Uncle Johnny R made all his money! ;)

Feeling the love for SLF. Saw them last about four years ago (I gotta get back out and see them gig again...), and they can still cut it. Sure, the only original member left is Jake Burns....but then it was ALWAYS the Jake Burns band from the start.... Bruce Foxton works really well with them - and he seemed amused the time i told him at a show in Belfast they were "Better than Paul Bleedin' Weller any day a the week..." :D ({censored} the Brit awards - Weller hasn't mattered for damn near 25 years).

I'm a total gearhound, though I'm no snob at all - I'll lust after anything from a Ric down to the cheapest of the cheap.... I've got a cheap little (probably Chinese) Strat rip off, 50sish with the soft vee neck - damn, it plays beautifully and all stock has a real vintage Strat vibe. I dunno how durable it'll be (fretwear etc - i find the cheaper the guitar, the quicker you see pock marks on the frets) but hell for all it cost, I'll think nothing of junknig the original neck and fitting a repalcement down the line. Just like Leo intended! My gear is a mix of pricey and cheap - when i say pricey, I mean probably nearer mid price - my 1994 US Std Strat (bought new) is my most expensive guitar (a lefty, and probably cost about double here what it would in the US), others so far have all been cheap. Latest acquisition this week is a Squier Standard Strat, which i bought on ebay (not here yet) with the intention of fitting a set of GFS lipsticks and blocking the trem. Should be a fun guitar..... and I'm loving the CBS make over they gave Squier a few years back. I just wish they's make the Teles in lefty as well (only the Std Strat and Affinity Strat models in their six string range are made lefty). I always loved the look of Phil Chevron's Radiators From Space-era Hendrixed Telecaster, but those edge mounted jack sockets aren't kind on the ribs.

Jonesy stole most of his gear according to legend, yeah - the Bollocks LP (which, let's face it, is the only reason to want to own an LP Custom (or a standard) - what other reason do you need?) was IIRC stolen from the Dolls, though i think this was "liberated", along with a bunch of other stuff, by Talcy Malcy as the Dolls collapsed during his brief stint as their manager. He was also infamous for wandering out of Denmark St stores with new LPs. I'd love to know where the real Bollocks guitar is now - Sothebys i think it was sold what was claimed to be it last year, though by jonesy's own admission he's sold so many LPs to so many people over the years claiming they were that guitar, it's hard to know where the actual one ended up...

Incidentally, I can get a fantastic Jonesyesque Twin sound from the Blackface 2x12" sim in my Valvetronix.... add a touch of the onboard phaser, crank the mids and you're straight into solid "Liar" territory.... yummy!

• Members
Originally posted by Edward

It still is, bub. Five years on from buying my flat in the East End, i wouldn't be able to afford it now ('sa gone up about seventy grand since then - yay for day jobs). but hey, I'm punk as {censored}. A rich girl from SF told me so once.

And don't knock sensible property investments - it's how Uncle Johnny R made all his money!
;)

Feeling the love for SLF. Saw them last about four years ago (I gotta get back out and see them gig again...), and they can still cut it. Sure, the only original member left is Jake Burns....but then it was ALWAYS the Jake Burns band from the start.... Bruce Foxton works really well with them - and he seemed amused the time i told him at a show in Belfast they were "Better than Paul Bleedin' Weller any day a the week..."
:D
({censored} the Brit awards - Weller hasn't mattered for damn near 25 years).

I'm a total gearhound, though I'm no snob at all - I'll lust after anything from a Ric down to the cheapest of the cheap.... I've got a cheap little (probably Chinese) Strat rip off, 50sish with the soft vee neck - damn, it plays beautifully and all stock has a real vintage Strat vibe. I dunno how durable it'll be (fretwear etc - i find the cheaper the guitar, the quicker you see pock marks on the frets) but hell for all it cost, I'll think nothing of junknig the original neck and fitting a repalcement down the line. Just like Leo intended! My gear is a mix of pricey and cheap - when i say pricey, I mean probably nearer mid price - my 1994 US Std Strat (bought new) is my most expensive guitar (a lefty, and probably cost about double here what it would in the US), others so far have all been cheap. Latest acquisition this week is a Squier Standard Strat, which i bought on ebay (not here yet) with the intention of fitting a set of GFS lipsticks and blocking the trem. Should be a fun guitar..... and I'm loving the CBS make over they gave Squier a few years back. I just wish they's make the Teles in lefty as well (only the Std Strat and Affinity Strat models in their six string range are made lefty). I always loved the look of Phil Chevron's Radiators From Space-era Hendrixed Telecaster, but those edge mounted jack sockets aren't kind on the ribs.

Jonesy stole most of his gear according to legend, yeah - the Bollocks LP (which, let's face it, is the only reason to want to own an LP Custom (or a standard) - what other reason do you need?) was IIRC stolen from the Dolls, though i think this was "liberated", along with a bunch of other stuff, by Talcy Malcy as the Dolls collapsed during his brief stint as their manager. He was also infamous for wandering out of Denmark St stores with new LPs. I'd love to know where the real Bollocks guitar is now - Sothebys i think it was sold what was claimed to be it last year, though by jonesy's own admission he's sold so many LPs to so many people over the years claiming they were that guitar, it's hard to know where the actual one ended up...

Incidentally, I can get a fantastic Jonesyesque Twin sound from the Blackface 2x12" sim in my Valvetronix.... add a touch of the onboard phaser, crank the mids and you're straight into solid "Liar" territory.... yummy!

Damn, I thought I was long winded! Haha :) Paul Weller is too mod for his own good now, with his crap style council music. But I love the song writing on the Jam records.

I remember seeing a piss yellow LP Custom with pinup girls on it in a guitar magazine that Steve J sold to repair his harley way before the 90's punk resurgence and I thought it was the real thing. If he's selling knock offs that truely is the greatest r&r swindle ever.

The british scene is weird, on one hand you've got the trendy crowd that goes from one thing to the next and then you got the other guys who haven't changed in 30 years (like the mods that still go to the all nighters and dance to the same {censored}ty northern soul songs). I'd love to go over and visit some day. But I would probably just do what I normally do when abroad, drink cider, eat fish and chips and go to strip clubs. If I do come visit I'll bring a guitar over with my luggage and sell it while I am there :) I'll tell people it's Steve Jones NMTB guitaR!

Archived