Favorite set up for "77" punk...

voneville

• Members

Main Guitar Squire Tele Custom (Alternate Affinity Tele customized with a single GFS P-90 bridge pup), Boss DS-1, Peavey "The Classic" 50 watt 2x12 (circa 1982ish I think).

I play in a late 70's influenced punk band (favorite bands and main influences are the clash, stiff little fingers and the jam).

It's funny, I've owned some nice (and also expensive) gear over the years and probably one of the most budget set ups I've ever played is what finally nailed the sound I've been searching for. I think I might break down and buy a strat for playing ska and reggae though.

Anyway, just thought I would share, since I don't have any gear head friends to talk to...

Oh, and my "bastardcaster" also sounds great for rockabilly and pyschobilly through my Blues Jr with a little slapback thanks to my 10 dollar dano echo pedal.

• Members

Originally posted by voneville

Main Guitar Squire Tele Custom (Alternate Affinity Tele customized with a single GFS P-90 bridge pup), Boss DS-1, Peavey "The Classic" 50 watt 2x12 (circa 1982ish I think).

I play in a late 70's influenced punk band (favorite bands and main influences are the clash, stiff little fingers and the jam).

It's funny, I've owned some nice (and also expensive) gear over the years and probably one of the most budget set ups I've ever played is what finally nailed the sound I've been searching for. I think I might break down and buy a strat for playing ska and reggae though.

Anyway, just thought I would share, since I don't have any gear head friends to talk to...

Oh, and my "bastardcaster" also sounds great for rockabilly and pyschobilly through my Blues Jr with a little slapback thanks to my 10 dollar dano echo pedal.

its always a nice thing to "find" your sound...though for Jam tunes you cant beat the Rick 330 thru a vox...

• Members

Originally posted by jjpistols

that's ugly as {censored} - I like it
:thu:

Thanks!

Originally I was going to refinish it and put the neck pup back in, but I like it this way. I used a chisel to open up the bridge pick up hole. It fits nice, I put some fiberboard on one said and pressed it in, rock solid. The best part is that I have a router. I was just too lazy to set it up.

• Members

Originally posted by No Soul

pull a Steve Jones and steal from a rockstar, now THAT is Punk
:cool:

If he stole it from Pink Floyd that would be punk, but he stole it from The Wailers, that's just criminal. It's still pretty damn funny though. I wonder if they even noticed it was missing, you know how stoners are!

• Members

If he stole it from Pink Floyd that would be punk, but he stole it from The Wailers, that's just criminal. It's still pretty damn funny though. I wonder if they even noticed it was missing, you know how stoners are!

he stole stuff from A LOT of musicians from what I recall reading.

and I wouldnt mind stealing gilmours 1952 tele

• Members

u know whats funny, in the bay area punk bands seem to be playing A LOT of Gibsons now,

I mean even like the super "Im a real street punk, and this jacket filled with 100 dollars worth of studs proves it" are playing them. Granted, its usually faded SGs and Lp specials.. but far from cheap.

• Members

Originally posted by No Soul

u know whats funny, in the bay area punk bands seem to be playing A LOT of Gibsons now,

I mean even like the super "Im a real street punk, and this jacket filled with 100 dollars worth of studs proves it" are playing them. Granted, its usually faded SGs and Lp specials.. but far from cheap.

You can afford a 1000 dollar guitar when you are splitting rent 15 ways for a 4 bedroom house in East Oakland, especially if your parents in Walnut Creek pay your rent and your tuition. Gibsons and Marshalls have always been a staple to the east bay punk sound. Oh, and Ampeg bass amps. I used to get some really good deals at Univibe.

• Members

You can afford a 1000 dollar guitar when you are splitting rent 15 ways for a 4 bedroom house in East Oakland, especially if your parents in Walnut Creek pay your rent and your tuition. Gibsons and Marshalls have always been a staple to the east bay punk sound. Oh, and Ampeg bass amps. I used to get some really good deals at Univibe.

:eek: ahahaha too funny!

/from Walnut Creek

if you can afford to even live in the bay area (not way the f*** out in Stockton), you're doing pretty well for yourself. And if you're in Stockton you're not doing too bad either because housing there is expensive now too

• Members

Originally posted by 70 Cam Guy

:eek:
ahahaha too funny!

/from Walnut Creek

if you can afford to even live in the bay area (not way the f*** out in Stockton), you're doing pretty well for yourself. And if you're in Stockton you're not doing too bad either because housing there is expensive now too

I couldn't even afford a meth lab in Antioch! I'd have to move out to Winters and commute! haha.

• Members

:eek:
ahahaha too funny!

/from Walnut Creek

Really? I just moved back to the states and living in the DC area sucks balls for the housing market. I was thinking about moving back to CA, used to live out in Vacaville, but Stockton was one area that seemed affordable. Of course that was 12 years ago.

• Members

Originally posted by ashasha

Really? I just moved back to the states and living in the DC area sucks balls for the housing market. I was thinking about moving back to CA, used to live out in Vacaville, but Stockton was one area that seemed affordable. Of course that was 12 years ago.

Vacaville is getting really big now with Genetech adding on to it's huge facility there. They also have all those outlets up there. Of course you're only like 35-45 minutes from the east bay or closer to the north bay. Stockton and Tracy really took off because even Livermoor is pricey. People just commute

my dad has customers commuting to Oakland from Suisun (can't spell it), Discovery Bay, Los Banos, Tracy, Manteca etc, etc

lol@ meth labs in Antioch

Winters isn't too bad... I think they have a general store there :p

• Members

SJ huh? I turned down a job at Sony about 10 years ago because I figured out that with the cost of living out there I would be around poverty level. :eek: I had a feeling that it was going to blow up out there, I am kicking myself for not buying when I had the chance and rented. I loved it out there for the short time I was there. 45 minutes from the bay or Sacramento and just a few hours to Tahoe. And the weather was great.

• Members

For what it's worth, I played on the NYC punk scene back in the late 70's and early 80's like CrackerD said, we played whatever we could get our hands on, we probably spent more time shopping for used threads then worring about gear. But most of us liked to use Fender Twin Reverb amps if we could get our hands on one. My band used to do gigs with Johnny Thunders band, and he told me to just turn the volume and mid all the way up. And that's how most of us approached our sound.

• Members

SJ is still outrageous to live here. ****y apartments that aren't in the ghetto here on all over a grand a month. Houses are just insane. I have 2 roommates and I pay 475 a month. Thankfully I'll be done with school soon enough

the median price now in the bay area is supposedly around $620,000 :rolleyes:

I think it may have gone up again but that's the last number I remember seeing on the news

• Members

SJ is still outrageous to live here. ****y apartments that aren't in the ghetto here on all over a grand a month.

We have a fairly nice 2/br apartment here in Mountain View. It's not huge or spectacular, but the complex looks good, residents are all middle class: $1600 a month.

Archived