P90/Soapbar guitars

Ratae Corieltauvorum

• Moderators

I've been bitten by the bug!!!:love:

So......what P90 based guitar to buy?.....and at the reasonable end of the scale....so far Ive come up with:

Epiphone Goldtop

PRS Soapbar

Squier Tele Custom II

The Epi and PRS get superb reviews, but theres also the:

Vintage V100GT...a very nice Goldtop copy which is very reasonable and also gets good reviews.

Can anybody think of any more...I'ma talking no more than 200GBP....thats about 350USD

Sean

• Members

Godin LG-SP90. US made, Seynour Duncan pickups, they go for around $300 on eBay (mine was $280).

Peavey Firenza - also US made, and even less expensive.

Both of these come in humbucker models as well as soapbars, so make sure you are looking at the right guitar.

• Members

Originally posted by Fosse Fox

Epiphone Goldtop

PRS Soapbar

Squier Tele Custom II

Sean

Of those, I'd take the PRS. Used ones are gonna start going cheap now that the flamey capped one is available. I'd rather have the plain mahogany one myself.

• Members

Gibson Les Paul Melody Maker Faded:

lpmm_sy.jpg

I swear this is the guitar you need. I bought one and it is incredible! After I bought the Melody Maker I purchased the following P90 guitars (in this order): a Gibson Historic '54 RI, a PRS Soapbar II, and a Gibson Doublecut Les Paul Faded. None of them (including the Historic R4!!) sound as good or are as versatile(!) as that single pickup Melody Maker! Our bass player makes no bones about it - he thinks that my Melody Maker is the best sounding guitar that I play.

There is just something about a single bridge pickup on a guitar. Something like less magnet pull on the strings or less wood routed out of the body, but that basic single pickup Melody Maker sounds completely incredible.

My Melody Maker is 100% stock as it came from the factory except I bought a black Les Paul Jr looking pickguard on eBay. It is a really great looking addition and I feel Gibson should look into putting a similar pickguard on them new. I think sales would go up.

• Members

Originally posted by Spudro

Gibson Les Paul Melody Maker Faded:

lpmm_sy.jpg

I swear this is the guitar you need. I bought one and it is incredible! After I bought the Melody Maker I purchased the following P90 guitars (in this order): a Gibson Historic '54 RI, a PRS Soapbar II, and a Gibson Doublecut Les Paul Faded. None of them (including the Historic R4!!) sound as good or are as versatile(!) as that single pickup Melody Maker! Our bass player makes no bones about it - he thinks that my Melody Maker is the best sounding guitar that I play.

There is just something about a single bridge pickup on a guitar. Something like less magnet pull on the strings or less wood routed out of the body, but that basic single pickup Melody Maker sounds completely incredible.

My Melody Maker is 100% stock as it came from the factory except I bought a black Les Paul Jr looking pickguard on eBay. It is a really great looking addition and I feel Gibson should look into putting a similar pickguard on them new. I think sales would go up.

If they changed that and the headstock... They'd make millions.

Sometimes I have to believe I should be running all the major guitar companies, my ideas kick ass.

• Members

Originally posted by Hopeless

If they changed that and the headstock... They'd make millions.

Sometimes I have to believe I should be running all the major guitar companies, my ideas kick ass.

they do, and I want one:o

273929.jpg

and they're making millions, believe me;)

• Members

I just bought the Squier Tele Custom with humbuckers, and it's awesome. I had to tighten up some parts, and file the ends of the frets (ouch!), but now it rocks. I haven't tried the version with p90's, though. I actually sold my Agile with p90's after I bought this Tele!

• Moderators

Unfortunately Dillion are not available in the UK....bugger!!! They do look rediculously close to Shine in their finish and style tho, the McCarty and Gold Top reps are very very nice. Interestingly there is a very reasonable McCarty copy available in the UK:

http://tinyurl.com/eqmao

Thanks for all the suggestions.

The PRS, Godin, Vintage and Epi are at the top of my list at the moment....the nice thing is P90s are very fashionable here at the moment

Sean

• Members

Originally posted by Fosse Fox

So......whens it for sale then?

Serious....

Sean

I'm in Northern Ireland so postage might make it a little pricey for you, even over to Bath.

Have given a mate first refusal on it but will let you know if he turns it down:thu:

Perfect condition, very rarely played (for the above reason - just never bonded with it at all).

• Members

Originally posted by hondro

they do, and I want one:o

273929.jpg

and they're making millions, believe me;)

Actually that's not what I meant. If they did the faded style TV yellow juniors it'd hopefully be cheaper, and yet do a damn good job of capturing the Jr. Steez, that would be even better than the junior they're doing already, which is kinda pricy for a beater (Which I mean in a good way when I say "beater").

Archived