Q's on warming up a bright sounding guitar

dachuckster

• Members

I have a cheap guitar (samick fastback 1-agathis body, super thin maple laminate, maple fingerboard). It sounded very bright beofre a complete wiring overhaul (and pots, switches, jack), and the install of a dimarzio virtual PAF in the bridge position. TUSQ nut is on the way as well as new brass saddles.

Still sounds very bright (cheap wood, i know). This guitar is so dammned easy to play, and for $198.00, it's great. i prefer it over my other guitars. it just feels like butter in my hands. major mojo!!!!!!!!

Now, has anyone had any luck in using alnico humbuckers to warm up their sound, such as the SD alnico II or others. any recommendations?? (before i switch to 250k pots). How about a motherbucker?????

For reference, i tried that dimarzio (virtual PAF) in my ESP LTD EC-400AT and it sounded darker that the Seymour Duncan JB i have installed in there.

thanks!

• Members
Originally posted by dachuckster

I have a cheap guitar (samick fastback 1-agathis body, super thin maple laminate, maple fingerboard). It sounded very bright beofre a complete wiring overhaul (and pots, switches, jack), and the install of a dimarzio virtual PAF in the bridge position. TUSQ nut is on the way as well as new brass saddles.

Still sounds very bright (cheap wood, i know). This guitar is so dammned easy to play, and for $198.00, it's great. i prefer it over my other guitars. it just feels like butter in my hands. major mojo!!!!!!!!

Now, has anyone had any luck in using alnico humbuckers to warm up their sound, such as the SD alnico II or others. any recommendations?? (before i switch to 250k pots). How about a motherbucker?????

For reference, i tried that dimarzio (virtual PAF) in my ESP LTD EC-400AT and it sounded darker that the Seymour Duncan JB i have installed in there.

thanks!

What have you done with your pickup heights? That makes a lot of different but I assume you've exhausted that and the basic "roll back the tone a bit" obvious stuff.

• Members

yup, also installed pickup rings, cause the pickups were mounted directly to the body. lowering them helped a bit. i guess you can call it "twang" brightness. It's a EVH MM copy.

i've tried some EQ as well. I'm looking at the SD customs. agathis and maple don't seem to go very well. its a hard brightness to EQ out.

• Members
Originally posted by dachuckster

yup, also installed pickup rings, cause the pickups were mounted directly to the body. lowering them helped a bit. i guess you can call it "twang" brightness. It's a EVH MM copy.

i've tried some EQ as well. I'm looking at the SD customs. agathis and maple don't seem to go very well. its a hard brightness to EQ out.

Oh,no tone control on the guitar? Ick.:cool:

• Members

A good solution is a cheap solution.

Try these strings.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitar/navigation?q=GHS+eric+johnson

I put a set on a Squier Affinity Telel Special. The stock strings sounded real thin and shrill. These guys actually toned it down a hair too much for my tastes, but then again, you should always still have some jangle on a tele..

Give 'em a try.

Pure nickel wound is a warmer tone than "plated" and the roller wound is a slight flattening process which is a lesser degree of the flatwound process they do for jazz strings.

• Members

Originally posted by GAS Man

A good solution is a cheap solution.

Try these strings.

I put a set on a Squier Affinity Telel Special. The stock strings sounded real thin and shrill. These guys actually toned it down a hair too much for my tastes, but then again, you should always still have some jangle on a tele..

Give 'em a try.

Pure nickel wound is a warmer tone than "plated" and the roller wound is a slight flattening process which is a lesser degree of the flatwound process they do for jazz strings.

Excellent advice

Also, if the guitar plays like butter... you might be able to use higher gauge strings comfortably... A lot of guys use thin strings to make up for a bad guitar setup... but a guitar that is comfortable to play often still feels good with very heavy strings.

Archived