Well, I put $$ down on the PRS SE Soapbar Maple II Blue Matteo. Mad Wife Now!

curseoftruth

• Members

Me and my wife give each other an allowance every month for stuff, I save mine for guitar gear so it never comes out of house money.
She still gets annoyed though, she's terrible at saving up for things, so when I get something new she always gets annoyed, wether its paid for with the sale of something or if I save up for it.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Originally posted by riffpowers

Me and my wife give each other an allowance every month for stuff, I save mine for guitar gear so it never comes out of house money.

She still gets annoyed though, she's terrible at saving up for things, so when I get something new she always gets annoyed, wether its paid for with the sale of something or if I save up for it.

If she feels a bit "left out" on shopping I think it's your duty to make sure SHE gets all the attention in the bedroom. That is of course if she doesn't already ;)

• Members

Let's be honest here. Sometimes we need somebody to reel us in. If you are prosperous & wifey is fussing, tell her to shut up. However, if, like most of us, you are not rich, you have to ask yourself whether you're spending more than your share of the disposable income. Be honest, now...

• Members

Originally posted by Keelbolts

Let's be honest here. Sometimes we need somebody to reel us in. If you are prosperous & wifey is fussing, tell her to shut up. However, if, like most of us, you are not rich, you have to ask yourself whether you're spending more than your share of the disposable income. Be honest, now...

Yeah, if one has to "put down" on a guitar, that would imply that it's beyond their means.

Perhaps the wife is the voice of reason in that relationship. Sounds like a smart woman...

• Members

My wife doesn't necessarily approve of my gear purchases, but I always make it a point to tell her about all of my friends' motorcycle purchases. She would much rather I be into guitars than riding a motorcycle, and it's cheaper too.

• Members
Originally posted by mcinku

I have a special understanding with my wife also.... I can buy only one music item per year... and if it's expensive item like a guitar (I never buy expensive guitars
:confused:
.) - I can do that every second year.....

...Is that weird or what?

and I love that PRS - maybe next year, I already bought a guitar this year
:cry:

Who is the primary bread winner in your guys household? Is it your wives? If so then this is understandable. But if i was the one who was making the majority of the money there is no way i would be letting my wife tell me how to spend it. T

• Members
Originally posted by markaf19

Who is the primary bread winner in your guys household? Is it your wives? If so then this is understandable. But if i was the one who was making the majority of the money there is no way i would be letting my wife tell me how to spend it. T

I'm the primary in my household. As long as I keep all the bills paid my wife doesn't care what I buy but I don't surprise her with any purchases either. I also just simply purchase the guitars I want.

Even with being the primary and all that, I still consider things we need for the household and put that on a much higher priority than any GAS related purchases. So in that respect, yeah my wife definately has a voice in all this. Even so I still somehow have 22 guitars. Go figure? :freak:

• Members

This thread was deleted last night! Funny...

Before everybody dogs my wife -- she is incredibly cool, understanding, and forgiving of my GAS! We've been together 20 years and married for almost 17 years. While I make a really good living, we are a one income family as she is a stay home mom and that is by our choice. Private school for the kid, 2 cars, house, regular bills, etc. from one paycheck can be challenging at times. Like when a major plumbing issue occurs that cost big $$ to fix, such as happened last week. Not a good week for disposable income!

As someone mentioned, I usually do one purchase a year. I just got an SG Classic in December, so I can see her point.

She was pissed for like 10 minutes then totally didn't even mention it the rest of the evening and we had a great evening, went out to dinner and looked at some new houses. We stopped by some friends house where my kid was spending the night with their daughter (first night of Spring break), and he got an 87 Gibby LP Standard that was really sweet! Got to play it for a minute, really nice. Wasn't thrilled with the Boss ME-50 it was going through though.

• Members

Originally posted by markaf19

Dude I am the primary bread winner and I like being married, thus I don't rub the fact that it's "MY' money in her face.....because it is "OUR" money. If I didn't want it that way I would not have gotten married. When you get married the whole primary bread winner bull{censored} should go out the window......it's a partnership....two people working for the common good of the family. I let my wife run all the finances and I ask before I make major purchases. She asks me too if she can buy something that is expensive. It's common courtesy, and it is a way of checking each others spending. IT is funny to joke about asking the wife or getting the wifes permission, but in the end all your doing is letting the person your spending the rest of your life with in on the decisions that affect both of your lives (children too if ya got 'em). It's about respect, and not being an ass to your best friend.

• Members
Originally posted by curseoftruth

This thread was deleted last night! Funny...

Before everybody dogs my wife -- she is incredibly cool, understanding, and forgiving of my GAS! We've been together 20 years and married for almost 17 years. While I make a really good living, we are a one income family as she is a stay home mom and that is by our choice. Private school for the kid, 2 cars, house, regular bills, etc. from one paycheck can be challenging at times. Like when a major plumbing issue occurs that cost big $$ to fix, such as happened last week. Not a good week for disposable income!

Sounds like you've got it all figured out. Enjoy the new axe, it's beauty! I've often made trips to the jewelers for my wife to balance out my GAS purchases. She'd encourage me to get new axes, even picked out a few for me!

• Members

I think we all have to be our own judge of whats reasonable.I'd love to have another amp, another 3 guitars, etc, and I could afford them too, I just can't justify it to myself, let alone my wife.I always keep my purchases on a needs only basis.
I have 1 excellent les paul custom P90 guitar that I've owned since I was 16, I'll never sell it, I have 1 excellent sunburst lp standard (the guitar I've always wanted ) and finally saved up for and bought 2nd hand, and now I'd like to get a 2nd hand lp special or something similar with p90s so I don't need to worry about my beloved lp custom at gigs.I have 1 tube 1/2 stack that I use every week for my band, and a smaller 2 watt head I use at home.
I can justify this gear because I paid for it out of my own pocket, and for every pound I saved up, I put half of it back into the household.
I'm lucky that I've been able to buy great gear, and even luckier to be using all of it, so I don't feel like I bought anything just out of greed, it all serves a purpose.Yeah I'd LIKE a PRS mccarty, another Matamap stack, an LP junior, an SG classic, but I can't justify it cos I don't really NEED it.

Also, when I met my wife I sold my tokai SG 61, dean V , laney 1/2 stack, laney combo and seagull acoustic 12 string to buy her the engagement ring that she wanted.It was worth it, and I'd do it all again if I had to.

• Members
I don't smoke, drink, cheat or gamble. Guitars are my only vice and compared to the problems other woman have with their husbands, my wife knows a guitar vice is NO problem.

Yeah, but in addition to buying too many guitars, Curse smokes, drinks, cheats, and gambles!!!!

:thu:

• Members

CofT,
sounds like things are going well w/ you.

For you guys that speak of "your money":

First, If you live in a community property state - and most of you do - everything in your house is exactly half hers. And if she has a good lawyer, that's only a start!

Second, if your wife can meet your spending, dollar for dollar, on her toys. Good. With my intersts in boats, guns, cars, and guitars, wifey and I arrived at just such an agreement.

Third, if your wife puts up w/ "I make the money" or "I could be spending more" she's way too stupid for my taste.

• Members

Originally posted by riffpowers

I think we all have to be our own judge of whats reasonable.I'd love to have another amp, another 3 guitars, etc, and I could afford them too, I just can't justify it to myself, let alone my wife.I always keep my purchases on a needs only basis.

I have 1 excellent les paul custom P90 guitar that I've owned since I was 16, I'll never sell it, I have 1 excellent sunburst lp standard (the guitar I've always wanted ) and finally saved up for and bought 2nd hand, and now I'd like to get a 2nd hand lp special or something similar with p90s so I don't need to worry about my beloved lp custom at gigs.I have 1 tube 1/2 stack that I use every week for my band, and a smaller 2 watt head I use at home.

I can justify this gear because I paid for it out of my own pocket, and for every pound I saved up, I put half of it back into the household.

I'm lucky that I've been able to buy great gear, and even luckier to be using all of it, so I don't feel like I bought anything just out of greed, it all serves a purpose.Yeah I'd LIKE a PRS mccarty, another Matamap stack, an LP junior, an SG classic, but I can't justify it cos I don't really NEED it.

Yep.....I would love to have tons of stuff...but I just cannot justify it in the larger scheme of things. I try to get a couple nice things that will keep me going and give me what I need to play music and create music. But if I was a greedy {censored} and tried to monopolize all the cash me and my wife would not be able to go on vacations to nice places or do upgrades to the house or give my soon to be born son the (place expensive item here) he needs or wants. It's all about balance. Curse seems to be doing it right. He put some money down on it and then saved a bit, and he's looking at getting rid of some other stuff. Finding a way to get new gear without putting your family in a bind is a lifelong game played by all of us without major bankroll.

• Members
Originally posted by CrackerD

Yeah, but in addition to buying too many guitars, Curse smokes, drinks, cheats, and gambles!!!!

:thu:

Actually, I am a reformed smoker, I don't drink alcohol at all anymore, don't like to spend my money gambling, and never cheater in 20 years.. Dang, looking at that, a pretty good track record!!

In our house, all money is our money -- there is no who made what. My wife does not have a job outside of the house anymore, but she did at one time and worked to put me through school and I just worked part time in those days. She works now at keeping everything at the house in order, making sure I have what I need so I can focus on my job and being there for our kid, tough job in my book. And in realty and over the course of day, she works more and harder than I do!

• Members
Originally posted by String Fever

Good luck with the new guitar..that's one beautiful PRS, and ya really dig the sounds huh?..Makes it even better. Maybe ya oughta drop some money on a lil something for the wife?..kinda distract her from being mad at your guitars? My fiancee and I have an agreement right now, any money I spend on guitar related items ( even the 25 cent picks I always lose) I have t match and drop into a jar to be spent on our wedding. So I can't help ya out buy buying anything. I could maybe afford one guitar, but having to pay twice, I'd be way past broke for that.
:freak:

and you ARE getting married?

• Members

Originally posted by curseoftruth

Actually, I am a reformed smoker, I don't drink alcohol at all anymore, don't like to spend my money gambling, and never cheater in 20 years.. Dang, looking at that, a pretty good track record!!

In our house, all money is our money -- there is no who made what. My wife does not have a job outside of the house anymore, but she did at one time and worked to put me through school and I just worked part time in those days. She works now at keeping everything at the house in order, making sure I have what I need so I can focus on my job and being there for our kid, tough job in my book. And in realty and over the course of day, she works more and harder than I do!

Curse, except for the "reformed smoker" bit that was a pretty good description of our home life. (I still look for a good cigar once in a while though.)

If your household is anything like ours... My wife works harder than anyone I know, I don't want her "job".

-Ron

Archived