old les paul vs. new les pauls

fallen_martyrs

• Members

you see, i have a 77 les paul pro deluxe and i think personally that its the best thing ive ever played. Only because i havnt played any other "vintage" les pauls and to me, the newer les pauls just arent good. to me, the newer ones necks just arent that playable. i went to guitar center to play a les paul custom cause ive always wanted to, so i did....i went thru 3 or 4, and they all played like crap.....so i want to kno wut u prefer.....old (1980 and earlier) or new (anything after 1980)?

• Members

I like guitars that play well. Gibson has put out great examples in every era of production. Other than the 70's, most were pretty similar. For that reason 70's les pauls are usualy considered the black sheep of the bunch because they have different necks.

So, which do I prefer. I like the newer ones. Why? Because they are just as good, they are readily available and I can try out as many as I like and not have to settle for what is on the used market.

• Members

The 70s Gibsons are often maligned because Gibson was owned by Norlin; these 'Norlin era' Pauls are rather like the 'CBS-era' strats. Pre-Norlin Les Pauls are generally better than Norlins, just like pre-CBS Strats are better than CBS models.

I used to have a '70 Deluxe cherry sunburst - loved it. Truth is, though, by collectors' standards, it was a dog. Routed for full-size HBs, three-piece top, pancake body, three-piece neck.

Like all Gibsons, though, you have to play each one to tell whether it's got any actual MUSICAL value.

If you want to know about collector value, go to:

www.lespaulforum.com

• Members

My friend has a newer epi les paul, but has new tuners and PRS pups, and it's amazing, and he's one of the best guitarists I've ever heard. I was looking into a LP Jr., anyone know how they play? Neckwise at least, I can replace the pup.

Archived