Budget male vocal mic

• Members

The singer in my band is seeking a vocal mic for recording. His voice is classical sounding in the baratone and second tennor range. We do contemporary Christian music, anywhere from accoustic pop to adult contemporary to classical styles to rock. We're looking for something in the ballpark of $200-300 but are not fixed on that price (a little over may be ok). I've asked this before but with a little lower price range.

What would be the best mic for his style? Guitar Center recommended an AT4040 and one other that I can't remember but I was looking for input from actual studio pros. Any feedback would be appreciated.

• Members

those groove tubes gt66 mics, though made in china, can be quite useful as an all-around microphone. made it's way onto a couple tunes on the record i'm working on now, up against several other microphones that are roughly 8-10 times the price. it's nice on big woody martins, too. they're about $500 brand new. $100 or so less if you go used.

• Members

Dynamic mics are often the most overlooked mics for the home or project studio. The Shure SM57 and SM58 deserve at least one, two or even more spots in most any studio depending on the needs and philosophy of the studio.

Like most dynamic mics, the Shure SM57 and SM58 come to life through nice mic preamps. Some nice mic preamps that work well with these mics are the A Designs MP-1 and MP-2, the Great River ME-1NV and MP-2NV, the Grace 201 and 101, the FMR RNP and the Speck Mic Pre 5.0. While they'll work fine with a Mackie, Behringer or M-Audio level of preamp, the Shure SM57 and SM58 open up to a higher sonic level with better mic pres.

My favorite application for the SM58 is vocals. There are certain singers who don't sound the best through good vocal condensers or even large diaphragm dynamics such as the Shure SM7 or the Electro Voice RE20. For these people, you need to put up a Shure SM58. I suggest using a Stedman popfilter with the SM58 even though the mic possesses a built-in windscreen in its bulbous head.

One of my favorite tricks is to let the vocalist hold the Shure SM58 in her hand. I'll place a Stedman popfilter between her mouth and the mic. The gravy is putting her in the control room so she can monitor through the control room speakers. I've found that freeing a vocalist of headphones often frees the performance. Yes, the noise floor comes up but the emotional impact of the performance comes up.
Bono of U2 reportedly records with an SM58 in this fashion as well.
Please note this "live" in the studio technique generally works only with louder vocalists.

http://www.mojopie.com/sm5758.html

• Members

Jeeze phil,

you 're forgeting to include this link!!

http://www.eqmag.com/story.asp?sectioncode=39&storycode=15948

I found the review to be spot on! I am a baritone and the bright capsule( which has the typical chineese mic pump from 2k on) to be siblant with my enunciation.

The warm capsule however was perfect, and don't be fooled by the "warm" moniker, there's no wet blanket or anything, just not hyped!!

Honestly, no need to spend more for project studio use. A great mic. Sexy color scheme too!

(O.K. MXL ; where's my kickback???):rolleyes:

:D

:D :D

:D :D :D

• Members

I've used a Rode NTK ($400) before and been very satisfied with the results.

Ditto on this. I paid $500 for mine and it's well worth it. Bought it as a replacement for an AKG C3000b. The difference is staggering.

• Members

The Marshall and RODE-NT stuff is often a solution... but in my world, not a good solution. I would recommend a Shure SM-7b. This mic regularly finds its way into vocal mic lineups with $5-10,000 valve condenser mics. On some singers it is absolutely the best tool for the job... with other singers it is often a great working tool.

The best thing about the SM-7b is that I have never found an application where it sucks [unlike the fore mentioned cheap assed condenser mics].

I think they're like $350- at your favorite Banjo Mart or other catalog store... and WELL worth the investment no matter the size of your studio.

Peace.

• Members

I would like to see a comparison between a Shure SM-7, an EV RE-20 and a Heil PR40 just for giggles.

I was going to look into an SM-7 but since I already have and use an RE-20, I didn't think there was much of a reason. The Heil PR 40 sounds interesting.

• Members

My research indicates Amazon has the best new price on the SM-7B. Is it illegal to say that? If a mod sees this, pm me and knock this post out if it's bad bad. I understand and intend to honor the no price discussion using numbers but a general shopping comment? I wonder.

No worries guys... you can freely speak your mind here. :) I don't shill for any company, and we don't censor your opinions and supplier recommendations. :)

Flatfinger, thanks for the link, and sorry for forgetting it. :o

I own and like the NTK, but it's a bit above the price point that Majoria originally mentioned. Ditto that for the SM-7b. Both can be excellent on the right singer... and that brings up another issue. No single mic is perfect for everyone. Everyone has different budgets and expectations, and every voice is unique and responds differently. Ideally you'd want to get in front of a few of the microphones you're considering and try them with your voice and see which one captures it in a way that is to your liking and go from there. :)

• Members

No worries guys... you can freely speak your mind here.
:)
I don't shill for any company, and we don't censor your opinions and supplier recommendations.

Flatfinger, thanks for the link, and sorry for forgetting it.
:o

I own and like the NTK, but it's a bit above the price point that Majoria originally mentioned. Ditto that for the SM-7b. Both can be excellent on the right singer... and that brings up another issue. No single mic is perfect for everyone. Everyone has different budgets and expectations, and every voice is unique and responds differently. Ideally you'd want to get in front of a few of the microphones you're considering and try them with your voice and see which one captures it in a way that is to your liking and go from there.

Phil, I forget--what pre-amp do you use with this mic? Thanks.

• Members

He went with the AT4040, we hope to do some vocal takes this weekend. It can only be an improvement over the current arsenal.

so ive been looking into buying a work horse mic for my home studio on a budget. heard alot of good things about the at 4040. even comparing to condensers in higher price ranges. i would also like to know what you think of the 4040 as that is what ive got my eyes on as well

thx

• Members

I would like to see a comparison between a Shure SM-7, an EV RE-20 and a Heil PR40 just for giggles.

The Heil PR 40 sounds interesting.

Speaking of the PR-40...... Seaneldon, did you ever get around to making the sound samples of it on a kick?

I'm not currently buying any new equipment, but when I buy any new mics the PR -40 is definitely one I'd lke to check out. I don't have much variety in dynamic mics, and I'd like another good option for kicks.

On the subject, maybe look at a CAD M179. It's versatile. The 4040 you mentioned is fairly good in that price range as well. I have one and it sounds good enough on most things, but its not always my choice.

• Members

Well, I was in the hunt the same time as Majoria and ended up with an NT2A. If it totally sucks I well come back and let you guy know. My voice is in the Merle Travis/ Randy Haggard range.

I've actually heard good things about that mic! I seriously doubt it will totally suck.

• Members

Fletcher, I have wasted my time with a bunch of budget LDC's... in your opinion, what is the least expensive LDC that would compare, or be a notch above the SM-7b for general male rock type vocs?

I think they're like $350- at your favorite Banjo Mart or other catalog store... and WELL worth the investment no matter the size of your studio.

Peace.

Archived