Do you still buy CDs?

BlueSteam

• Members

I use Ares to Pirate more popular stuff like Zeppelin and Megadeth and any bands that are popular enough for me not to care about contributing to their wealth. But for all of my favorite underground bands Like Sleep Acid Bath and high On Fire I feel obligated to support them so I buy their Cd's. Plus I'd much rather have albums than scattered individual songs. That being said I do tend to buy a lot of the more popular bands cd's just for the sake of having the full album, I just got Sabbath Vol. 4 from Amazon for instance.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

When I was in college, and the years after it (mid 1990s) I used to go to my local used CD store and scrounge the "New Arrival" bins, check out the tracks on their CD player listening stations and buy what I like.

With the used CDs costing me from $2-$9 each, I came home with stacks of stuff.

I still buy CDs, all new, usually 2-3 at a time, maybe 3-4 times a year.

I buy MP3s/AACs as singles off of iTunes if I'll like a song. If I like more from a certain artist, I'll buy the album in CD format. I have never bought an album of digitally-downloaded music before.

Call me old school, but I like having something tangible. I always encode my CDs into iTunes though.

Also, my car has a CD player but no MP3 player input (Unless I get one of those radio tuner thingies that don't really work in the city). I listen to CDs when I drive, and my iPod when I walk or ride the bus/train/plane.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I still buy CDs (and to a lesser extent, chloride) for many reasons above - I would like to have a physical copy, it sounds better in my stereo than on my computer and I do not worry about losing everything if my computer crashes. I am also lucky to live somewhere that still has brick and mortar record stores, so I try to support them whenever possible.

Chloride?

• Members

I haven't so much as touched a CD in seven years. The last CD I purchased was Björk's Medúlla. Since then it's been all Amazon MP3 and raiding blogs like Holy Warble and Mutant Sounds for stuff that's not commercially available anywhere.

• Members

Sure, I have over 1000 CDs, and are adding more frequently. Never bought an mp3. Not saying I never will, but I do have a nice sound system, and I much prefer to buy music in the highest resolution possible - and SACDs and DVD-A's are both failing as a musical medium.

• Members

I occasionally buy CDs (from bargain bins) and will rarely pay over $10 for one. I never buy new releases as they are too expensive. I have not paid for an mp3 or downloaded any since the demise of Napster way-back-when - and the ones I did download I lost in a hard drive death. I feel uncomfortable taking the music of others without thier permission. Friends have given me Cds full mp3s but I find it hard to come up with the time to listen to them. I generally don't have "wallpaper music" on throughout the day as I prefer to actually listen to the things I put on. One of the main ways I listen now is through YouTube - I like seeing raw, or otherwise, live footage of bands playing thier stuff. I really dont want to collect music anymore. I believe in streaming and having an international archive of all music that you can access through your internet provider, thus the artist download activity can be monitored and royalties paid by the providers to them (the artists via thier performing rights organisations). This should not be an expensive system to setup and I believe it would be fair.

Archived