Using your PC keyboard as a midi controller in cubase?

• Members

I've used the computer keyboard MIDI interfaces in other apps on occasion when I needed to get some MIDI notes in but the first thing I noticed was that the timing was way off. That's probably not quite the problem it was on older, slower computers but it was pretty well a deal-killer for me. I found it easier to just mouse notes onto the piano roll.

• Members

I've used the computer keyboard MIDI interfaces in other apps on occasion when I needed to get some MIDI notes in but the first thing I noticed was that the timing was way off. That's probably not quite the problem it was on older, slower computers but it was pretty well a deal-killer for me. I found it easier to just mouse notes onto the piano roll.

Hmmm....I can't think of any reason with a decent PC that timing should really be an issue :confused:

I wonder if cubase has any computer keyboard MIDI interfaces...

*readsTFM*

• Members

Computers are a lot faster these days but keyboard input goes through a lot of "hands" in the OS... if you've ever done any application programming you probably know that upper level routines (ie, slower ones, in a manner of speaking) can "intercept" keystrokes... all those handlers take some time to process... it's not like a low level MIDI event handler programmed in an efficient lower level language like assembler or C and integrated into a more direct data stream within the OS (the MIDI layer, as it were -- in fact, one of the reasons for the pre OS X 10.2 Mac's poor MIDI response time vis a vis Windows 9x-and-up was because the "classic" Mac OS had no proper MIDI layer, depending instead on the Opcode OMS "add-in.")

But, yeah, machines are faster now and that should at least cut down on the latency...

THAT said... latency is probably not the biggest buggaboo but rather consistency of timing.

• Members

I've tried using the computer keyboard in Ableton Live and it is nearly impossible due to latency/timing issues. Plus, there's no velocity. This is on a brand new laptop using an application that is designed to be used with a computer keyboard. Same result on my older Mac.

It flat out sucks, kids. I'd rather get the cheapest keyboard controller. You might even be able to find a Casio or Yamaha "consumer" keyboard that has MIDI ports.

Archived