If You Replace The Neck On, Say, A Fender Strat, Does It Cease To Be A Fender?

Matter-Eater Lad

• Members

Originally posted by Matter-Eater Lad

Is it now a "Frankenstein" guitar?

If you replace it with a Fender replacement neck, no - unless you replace a vintage neck with a new Fender neck, then it is no longer a vintage in a collector's eyes. Replacing a neck is for your personal preference or to replace a broken neck. However, it would be wise to declare that the neck was replaced if you were to sell it to another player or a collector of vintage gear. You may consider replacing a vintage neck with another vintage neck from the same year if you are particular about maintaining the "vintage" of a guitar.

Just remember that the guitar is no longer made from original

parts especially if you are selling to a collector.

• Members

Originally posted by Chris Gansz

If you replace it with a Fender replacement neck, no - unless you replace a vintage neck with a new Fender neck, then it is no longer a vintage in a collector's eyes. Replacing a neck is for your personal preference or to replace a broken neck. However, it would be wise to declare that the neck was replaced if you were to sell it to another player or a collector of vintage gear. You may consider replacing a vintage neck with another vintage neck from the same year if you are particular about maintaining the "vintage" of a guitar.

Just remember that the guitar is no longer made from original

parts especially if you are selling to a collector.

I'd never sell it so preserving it's vintageness for wasn't a consideration. My concern was (which is shallow), presenting it as "what?" to someone who seemed impressed that I have an actual 1970's Fender Strat, he not knowing it has been modified with a Floyd Rose, humbucker and now a different neck. All that is left of the original guitar is the body and it's paint. O.K, spring claw too.

• Members

I'd never sell it so preserving it's vintageness for wasn't a consideration. My concern was (which is shallow), presenting it as "what?" to someone who seemed impressed that I have an actual 1970's Fender Strat, he not knowing it has been modified with a Floyd Rose, humbucker and now a different neck. All that is left of the original guitar is the body and it's paint. O.K, spring claw too.
[/quote

It's a modified Fender then!:cool:

• Members

Yeah Pete, I guess some might even say just the humbucker alone in the bridge would make it not a true "Stratocaster", of that era at least.

It's weird. When I think of the nuts & bolts of it, it would seem like just the body would not be enough for it to be the same guitar. But when I have it in my hands it's still "my old guitar". Kinda corny:o

• Members

The Tele I built has a real Fender body (bought it and was still in factory packaging), and an authorized Fender replacement neck, no logo though. I have a Fender Tele sticker to put on it though :D

But I don't call it a Fender, its made of Fender parts but nothing else is fender on it, all aftermrket stuff. Its not a Fender, never was in their factory or shop, and never recieved a serial number.

If Guitar Fetish and Stew Mac get my stuff to me by the weekend, I'll have her finished!! All new electronics, putting on a different bridge now, and just keeping the Kent Armstrong Hot Neck in there.

t1.jpg

• Members
Originally posted by curseoftruth

The Tele I built has a real Fender body (bought it and was still in factory packaging), and an authorized Fender replacement neck, no logo though. I have a Fender Tele sticker to put on it though
:D

But I don't call it a Fender, its made of Fender parts but nothing else is fender on it, all aftermrket stuff. Its not a Fender, never was in their factory or shop, and never recieved a serial number.

If Guitar Fetish and Stew Mac get my stuff to me by the weekend, I'll have her finished!! All new electronics, putting on a different bridge now, and just keeping the Kent Armstrong Hot Neck in there.

t1.jpg

Hey, that's cool:thu: I'm going back and forth on the headstock decal. I'd like it to look like "Fender" from a distance but read something funny. I'm planning on finishing mine this weekend too. Unless the frets need leveling which I wouldn't be surprised.

• Members

I've been working on this damn thing for over two years now! Had it set up as a "sleeper" guitar, classic looks and a SD Hot Rail in the bridge for metal tones. And I could never get the humbucker wired quite right. Now though, I want a traditional, well, a 60s tele sound from it. Got a GFS Hot 60s Bridge pup coming, a new Stew Mac Tele wiring kit with the cooler caps, and a three saddle tele bridge, and some traditional tele knobs. Color is Seafoam Green, kind of sparkly, Alder body, white pearl pickguard and all gold hardware. Kind of different, wish I had a maple neck now and chrome hardware (then I would have an MIM version), but that one was cheaper from Custom Shop Parts, like $200 cheaper, was on closeout! Killer neck, same beefy profile as the higher end MIA Teles.

• Members

What brand was the neck? Guitar Fetish or do they sell other brands like Allparts?

I've been working on mine awhile too. I messed up the original neck probably a year ago now. I finally last weekend attached the new Allparts neck.

Its a Custom Shop Parts neck if I recall. I buy so much guitar crap I forget where I buy things! I have a spreadsheet on my other computer with price and where it came from. Was a licensed Fender tele replacement neck. Was on closeout, cost like $89. Finished already, medium jumbo frets, and giant ass neck profile. I like it a lot!

• 3 months later...

Archived