carvin carve top vs. prs

adambomb

• Members

Originally posted by Alchemist

the base models, which are still by all means great guitars, not gonna get a ten top or bird inlays for that price obviously

Youre comparing the lowest end US made PRS to the most exspensive Carvin and the ct still cost less.

I don't understand your argument.

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The fact is, is that they are really different guitars.
If you really want a PRS guitar but you are buying a Carvin to save money because you think they are the same guitar, you are wasting your money.

If the Carvin is THE guitar you want then you're getting a really nice guitar for a very affordable price.

The Carvin is not a substitution for a PRS.

• Members

Originally posted by Norcal_GIT_r

If you really want a PRS guitar but you are buying a Carvin to save money because you think they are the same guitar, you are wasting your money.

If the Carvin is THE guitar you want then you're getting a really nice guitar for a very affordable price.

thats what I said earlier, but people have a fixation on the shape of a guitar, and assume somehow same shape translates into same guitar, kind of like the ESP eclipse vs Gibson Les Paul comparisons.......... singlecut archtop does not necessarily equal les paul, just as offset doublecut archtop does not necessarily equal PRS

• Members

Even though the Carvins will have their own vibe, they are still clearly designed to compete in the PRS market.
Just like the PRS Singlecut was designed to compete in the Gibson LP market. Even though a PRS still has it's own vibe.

Now I still don't get this rational of comparing a top of the line Carvin CT6 to a bottom of the line PRS USA CU or Standard.
Fine and dandy they are still nice guitars.
But, feature wise they are not the same.
Apples and oranges.
Again if you compare the price of a PRS 22 Custom to a Carvin CT6 there is still quite a difference in price.
Apples to apples.

Fine, if you guys want to compare a bolt on CU to a Carvin CT6 , then I'll use the analogy that your getting more for your money with the Carvin CT6.
Your getting a set neck instead of bolt on.
A mahogany neck instead of maple.
Smaller heel joint.
Easier access to the 22nd fret.
String through body for better resonance and sustain.
Ebony fretboard instead of rosewood. (but with a rosewood option if wanted. $10 at 1/2 off).
Many other options to choose from. Inlay, fretboard radius, wood figure, fret type, etc...
And still come out about the same price or less then a new basic Bolt on PRS.

Kent

• Members

Again even though they each have their own vibe.
The Custom 22 and CT6, You guys make it sound like it's drastic.
Like a Strat vs LP drastic.
Tone wise the Custom 22 and CT6 may not sound exact.
But, I would think they are in the same general ballpark.

• Members

+1

• Members

How are they really different? Just curious. They seem to basically have all of the same specs, in addition to having the same shape. What makes a PRS different from a Carvin "Carve Top"? Does the PRS name on the headstock endow it with special tone mojo? Just curious.

• Members

[/quote
I disagree..Both are quality set neck guitars, Mahogany body and necks with maple tops (if your talking a CU22) dual humbuckers with 5 way switching, locking tuners, etc. Tone wise they are different IMO. On paper? They are very close in a lot of ways, hence comparisons between the 2.

• Members
Originally posted by Busk

I pick the Carvin. I like Carvin pups.

That's sad...:freak:

Even though I think most PRS pups are the weakest part of the equation, IMHO Crapvin pups are just about the worst pups available in the universe.

Of course in one of my 2 PRS SCs I got bored with #7s and put in a WCR Shredder set, all in the search of tone, so I guess I'm a little more concerned with my sound than the yahoos that play Crapvins.

:wave:

• Members

Originally posted by bikerdude2

Tone wise they are different IMO.

Isn't sound the reason we choose a guitar?

If all you're consernd about is looks then the carvin offers you looks at a great price.

I'm not knocking the Carvins. I really do like them. But this thread is almost an Agile vs. Gibson thread, though Carvin is quite a bit better than an Agile, it still falls back to guys thinking they are getting the same instrument for quite a bit less.

If you can't tell the difference between the 2 companies then get the cheaper one.

If you can tell the difference, you'll need to choose the one thats best for you.

• Members

If all you're consernd about is looks then the carvin offers you looks at a great price.

I'm not knocking the Carvins. I really do like them. But this thread is almost an Agile vs. Gibson thread, though Carvin is quite a bit better than an Agile, it still falls back to guys thinking they are getting the same instrument for quite a bit less.

If you can't tell the difference between the 2 companies then get the cheaper one.

If you can tell the difference, you'll need to choose the one thats best for you.

I would say more on the Hamer Studio vs a Gibson LP thing.

Again each has thier own vibe.
But, they both do target the same demographic of player.

So even though PRS has it's spin on the design, Carvin has it's spin, Dean has it's spin, Peavey has it's spin, etc...
They are all targeting the same audience.

Just like Hamer was targeting the Gibby LP audience with the Studio (originally the Sunburst).

I guess just like the Coke vs Pepsi thing.
Both are colas, have their own taste, target the same cola drinking audience.
I'm a Dr. Pepper fan myself. :thu:

So anyways, there is a general tone and/or feel their all going after. They may not be exact. But, they all fall with in parameters.

Kent

• Members
Originally posted by TaZMaNiO

That's sad...
:freak:

Even though I think most PRS pups are the weakest part of the equation, IMHO Crapvin pups are just about the worst pups available in the universe.

Of course in one of my 2 PRS SCs I got bored with #7s and put in a WCR Shredder set, all in the search of tone, so I guess I'm a little more concerned with my sound than the yahoos that play Crapvins.

It is sad. I'm very, very stupid and deaf. I have no idea what I'm talking about. I can't play and I have very, very bad tone. Jesus, is my tone bad, and I can't play and I am stupid and bad.

• Members
Originally posted by TaZMaNiO

That's sad...
:freak:

Why do you put IMHO in the statement?

It's hardly an humble remark. You were knocking a guy for saying he likes Carvin pickups. His opinion is every bit as good as yours.

• Members

Originally posted by ECFan

Why do you put IMHO in the statement?

It's hardly an humble remark. You were knocking a guy for saying he likes Carvin pickups. His opinion is every bit as good as yours.

Perhaps it didn't appear humble to you, but after throwing away good money on Crapvins years before I knew better, and subsequently owning/modding/playing guitars that taught me better about tone, construction and tonewoods, it is in FACT my humble opinion...

People like Paul Reed Smith, Jim Wagner, Lindy Fralin, Jason Lollar and Tommy @ USACG have taught me the difference between *GOOD* & *BAD* guitars...

• Members
Originally posted by kherman

I would say more on the Hamer Studio vs a Gibson LP thing.

That would equate Crapvins to equal Hamer Studios, they don't & never will until Crapvin offers after-market electronics as an option (routing accordingly) and drops the tone-dead neck design...

Hamer is every bit the equal of Gibson :thu:

• Members

" it still falls back to guys thinking they are getting the same instrument for quite a bit less."

aside from the carvin pickups, how is the carvin less high-end of a guitar than the prs? component-wise, i mean....

(as in wood selection as well as electronics)

• Members

Originally posted by adambomb

" it still falls back to guys thinking they are getting the same instrument for quite a bit less."

aside from the carvin pickups, how is the carvin less high-end of a guitar than the prs? component-wise, i mean....

(as in wood selection as well as electronics)

I'm not saying Carvin isn't a high end guitar.

Do you think all high end guitars sound and feel the same just becuase they are both made of mahagony and maple?

Have you played both guitars in question?

If not you should. They are both very very nice guitars, but they feel different and sound different. I'm not saying one is better than the other just different.

You have to decide which is better for you.

• Members

no i don't think they sound the same because of just construction,
but it seemed like you were saying that people are getting what they think is an equal to the prs as far as quality or desirability, even though you seem to disagreee with that.
i've never tried the carvin carve top. i have tried many prs though.

i do recall that the scale length is different (25.5 for prs, 25 for carvins) and the string through the body style is also a clear differentiator form the prs.

carvin consistency is hit or miss as well, i do know that much.
you may not get options you ordered or get options you didn't order as well.
i also recieved one with a faulty floyd rose.
another with a miss drilled bridge post.
they think it's know big deal to ship it back and wait weeks, months, whatever.
i would (and have) paid for the aftermarket repairs rather than sending a guitar cross-country yet again and waiting a dog's age.

• Members

Some day Carvins may give up direct marketing and then sell through middle men the same as the rest. Maybe after they've done that and their guitars are selling for 2 to 3 grand people will quit calling them Crapvins.

They do all their own marketing which has to cost them a bundle, so they could save on that expense by selling through G.C., MF and the rest, so they wouldn't need the full 100% markup, but they probably would use about an 80% markup over current pricing.

I've never owned one myself, but they've gotten enough kudo's from the professional gear reviews to elevate them above crap. If I didn't already own a PRS, I'd be very tempted.

This is the model that has tempted me for the longest time:

http://www.carvin.com/products/guitar.php?ItemNumber=AE185

I'm more curious about what people think about their pups than the guitar itself. I just don't have much doubt that their guitars ARE quality instruments.

• Members

Originally posted by adambomb

no i don't think they sound the same because of just construction,

but it seemed like you were saying that people are getting what they think is an equal to the prs as far as quality or desirability, even though you seem to disagreee with that.

i've never tried the carvin carve top. i have tried many prs though.

i do recall that the scale length is different (25.5 for prs, 25 for carvins) and the string through the body style is also a clear differentiator form the prs.

carvin consistency is hit or miss as well, i do know that much.

you may not get options you ordered or get options you didn't order as well.

i also recieved one with a faulty floyd rose.

another with a miss drilled bridge post.

they think it's know big deal to ship it back and wait weeks, months, whatever.

i would (and have) paid for the aftermarket repairs rather than sending a guitar cross-country yet again and waiting a dog's age.

I still don't see how they would be different sounding guitars (Carvin Carve top and equivalent spec'd PRS). On paper, they seem to be the same. I don't see how there could be much more variation than between two PRS and two Carvins. Put the same pickups in both, and I don't see how many people would be able to distinguish between them tonewise.

Does the PRS logo on the headstock give it special tone mojo or something?

Archived