Who are the bad boys of 60's rock instrumentals?

voneville

• Members

I just picked up the Wild Angels soundtrack on Monophonic Vinyl (rest assured, the label says stereo-phonic will not make monophonic LP's obsolete). I've known about Davey Allen and the Arrows for a while, and of course Link Wray and Duane Eddie, but can anyone else tell me about the other "bad boys" of 60's rock instrumentals? Or do I have to rent all of the B movies I can find and figure it out on my own?

I'm sort of imersing myself in early 60's rock instrumentals (or what most people just call Surf) for an idea I have for a garage rock instrumental band. Sort of like a bunch of Pacific Northwesterners locked up in a garage on a rainy day on dope trying to play Louie Louie, no wait, that's the Sonics... Maybe more like a bunch of So Cal dudes who can't surf good enough to bang the betty's on the beach, ah damnit, that won't work either, the beach boys did that! Sorry, music geek humor coming out.

Anyway, bring on the reverb drenched Fuzz and tube amps cranked to 11, cheezey pyschadelic effects, and bongo's.

• Members

Originally posted by trinilopez

+1 on the wailers

for a really wild take on surf guitar, check out

takeshi terauchi and the bunnys

terauchi_1.jpg

mp3 of one of his albums are on the
WFMU blog

Awesome, now we're talking. I always wondered why Japan had such a thriving surf music scene. Now I now, ventures 62 world tour :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

This is really such a great thread, and I'm suprised we're not getting more hits.

Now, don't laugh...how about Herb Alpert?

While not guitar oriented, much of that stuff has a lot of awesome vibe.

Also, look for some Ennio Morricone.

You should also check out the Nuggets I and II box sets. There is also a new one called something like, "Children of Nuggets"

• Members

Originally posted by onbongos

jimi hendrix

Originally posted by voneville

Dick Dale is cool, I'm just hoping for more
obscure lesser known
types that I can steal licks from and not have anyone notice.

;>_>

I'd help, but I know nothing of the 60s, so, yeah...

Archived