Amp forum vs. Guitar forum?

Fireproof

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 months later...
  • Members

According to legend Chuck Berry only traveled with his guitar.

He would plug into whatever amplification the venue had available.

A tone nerd he was not.

Just thought you might find that interesting.

He was also known as a very frugal person.

• Members

Originally posted by Virgman

According to legend Chuck Berry only traveled with his guitar.

He would plug into whatever amplification the venue had available.

A tone nerd he was not.

Just thought you might find that interesting.

He was also known as a very frugal person.

Well, this was the golden age of tube amplification. You could not find a bad amp to plug into. Everything was grand back then. Even Elvis was good.

• Members

Originally posted by onbongos

the amp forum is funny they have all these expensive amps named after some european dude and they mod their silverface champs and blues jrs and then they ask what the difference between a humbucker and single coil is

Yeah and the OT threads.....so bad.

Always a "flavor of the month" amp in there. Freaking STUPID!!!

• Members
Originally posted by batotman

Yeah and the OT threads.....so bad.

Always a "flavor of the month" amp in there. Freaking STUPID!!!

Flavour of the month gear is so lame! (insert reference to Squier 51's, Fender Blackouts, and Epiphone Elitist LP's then SG's here):p

• Members
Originally posted by Alchemist

Flavour of the month gear is so lame! (insert reference to Squier 51's, Fender Blackouts, and Epiphone Elitist LP's then SG's here)
:p

You son of a bitch!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad:

Actually not really flavor of the month here, more like whatever is on sale. :D

• Members
Originally posted by Fireproof

Is it just me or does it seem like there's the "amp forum guys" and then there's the "electric guitar forum guys" - like two separate cliques hanging out in separate clubs.

Occasionally a member of one might wander over to the other side to pose a question, but just seems like an outsider.

I get that vibe. Do you? What is it all about? Harmony Central is one big forum right? And last time I checked, amp guys need guitars to play, and electric guitar guys need amps for sound...

A perfect example - there's a "backing tracks" sticky in the amp forum. Why didn't the original poster post that in the guitar forum? After all, you create the backing tracks and play on top of them with the guitar... ???

Maybe I just need sleep...

:bor:

:D This thread is spot on for me today. IMO, there's a bunch of cliquey children in the amp forum. It's leaving me fed up with the whole thing. :rolleyes:

I think I need a new place to hang out, because there's nothing community, or supportive in that place if you're not in "the clique".

• Members

Originally posted by guitarlady

When I was in a band a few years ago playing rhythm guitar our lead guitarist had designed and built his own tube amp and never brought a backup amp to a gig. He was always modifying it by changing tubes, resistors or caps trying to get that "magic tone". He would never bring a backup amp claiming no other amp sounded like his did.

Often his amp would go into oscillation during a performance so he would act like he was doing some Hendrix impersonation then go back and shut off his amp and plug into the second channel of my Fender amp to complete the set, then during the break he would pull out his soldering iron and box of electronic parts and set about fixing his amp before the next set.

I have not been in contact with this guitarist for years but I would bet you he still has no other amp than that one he built. Now this guy really needed a backup amp but he would never listen to me.

Funny!

• Members
Originally posted by guitarlady

I have a Marshall 1959SLP head and 1960 cabs sitting in my garage that I haven't used for about 8 years and was thinking about retubing and revitalizing it and start using it again. I worked fine last time I plugged it in but I don't know what it would be like now. I went over to the amp forum to see if there were some ideas as to what to do but with all those post about ex-girlfriends I kind of felt out of place, like I had walked into a men's restroom by mistake or some such thing, so I never posted anything there.

Funny again, and totaly believable in my experience! :D

• Members

All I know is if there's going to be a rumble, I want to be with the Sharks because of the way they snapped when they walked around.

...but the Jets had a cooler theme song....

Damn!

I just want to dance!:wave:

The amp guys have been very helpful to me when I needed it, same as the guitar guys. But there's a lot of drama on that forum (search Madison). Entertaining as hell, but I don't post often.

The effects forum guys will answer your question about a run of the mill pedal if you ask nice. Otherwise, forget it unless you're asking about a $600 volume pedal.

• Members

Originally posted by yjsays

we are called otaku's in japanese.

Otaku = Super Geek

Being a natural born super geek myself, I find this interesting. Let me say first of all that I like and respect fellow geeks, provided of course that I can relate to their interests. Secondly - and this is the controversial part - isn't Japan pretty much a nation of geeks? You will understand that I ask this in the most loving and respectful manner. I mean, they have the highest IQ in the world, and they are dedicated to education and their workplace. As proof of their efforts, a wealth of excellent products have come out of Japan. I'd love to go there. Suffice it to say I play a Yamaha.

• Members

Originally posted by fanuvbrak

The effects forum guys will answer your question about a run of the mill pedal if you ask nice. Otherwise, forget it unless you're asking about a $600 volume pedal.

i like going to the effects forum because some of the pedal's names give me wood

• Members

Originally posted by RockNote

Being a natural born super geek myself, I find this interesting. Let me say first of all that I like and respect fellow geeks, provided of course that I can relate to their interests. Secondly - and this is the controversial part - isn't Japan pretty much a nation of geeks? You will understand that I ask this in the most loving and respectful manner. I mean, they have the highest IQ in the world, and they are dedicated to education and their workplace. As proof of their efforts, a wealth of excellent products have come out of Japan. I'd love to go there. Suffice it to say I play a Yamaha.

haha, no, there are Super Geeks in japan, they come in many different forms.

super anime geeks - they buy figures that probably cost as much as your agile if not more.

gundam fans - they build model kits that cost as much as your agiles.

military geek - they know all the models of weapons

etc.

• Members
Originally posted by onbongos

the amp forum is funny they have all these expensive amps named after some european dude and they mod their silverface champs and blues jrs and then they ask what the difference between a humbucker and single coil is

Whats funny is you actually believe this. :idea:

• Members
Originally posted by Alchemist

I've been hanging out in the amp forum mostly for the last two months or so. I have to say I take back anything I may have said about them before. Lots of great people there, and an easy going atmosphere.
:)

They ran totman out on a rail..that says something right there :p

I like both forums but I tend not to post much over there. Besides, those JCM900 threads were (are) so freaking retarded they should in the museum of the interwebby.

Archived