Saw A Show Last Night...No Guitar Solos...

• Members

Five bands:

October Falls, From First To Last, Hawthorne Heights, All-Amercian Rejects, Fall Out Boy...With the exception of the Rejects, they all sounded the same.

A total of 11 guitar players in these bands, and not one of them played a solo. All this was was tuned-down, bash-away at it chord playing. WTF? All the teeny girls seemed to like it.

• Members

A band doesn't have to play solos to be any good. Actually, I would argue that a band doesn't even need to have the ABILITY to play solos to be good (though it certainly helps :D ).

With that said, I can't stand All-American Rejects, Hawthorne Heights, or Fall Out Boy. I don't know the other two bands. Why the hell did you go to that show anyway? Cruising for teenage girls? ;)

• Members

Each band had about 25-30 minutes...I went because my daughter is a Rejects fan and went to a meet and greet at Wal-Mart yesterday afternoon. She was meeting Tyson Ritter, the bass player and singer, and he asked if she was coming to the show. She told him she didn't have tickets (This damn show sold out in a day, and the tix were $175 to $275 on the net!!). He wrote her name on his hand and left tix for us at Will Call!! A really nice guy.

I didn't want to go, but I was stuck. The sound was just a roar and the lighting was the worst I have ever seen a a major show. As I said before, the Rejects were by far the best band musically. How Fall Out Boy made it to tour headliner status, I will never know.

• Members

Originally posted by CloverdaleBand

Each band had about 25-30 minutes...I went because my daughter is a Rejects fan and went to a meet and greet at Wal-Mart yesterday afternoon. She was meeting Tyson Ritter, the bass player and singer, and he asked if she was coming to the show. She told him she didn't have tickets (This damn show sold out in a day, and the tix were $175 to $275 on the net!!). He wrote her name on his hand and left tix for us at Will Call!! A really nice guy.

I didn't want to go, but I was stuck. The sound was just a roar and the lighting was the worst I have ever seen a a major show. As I said before, the Rejects were by far the best band musically. How Fall Out Boy made it to tour headliner status, I will never know.

Solos for the sake of having a solo is as stupid as not soloing just so you can say "we don't solo". In the 80s it was cool to solo, in most of the 90s it was cool to not solo, and now solos are coming back en vogue. It's dumb. Put a solo in a song if it needs one, don't worry about it if it doesn't.

That's really cool of that Tyson guy to put give your daughter tickets. AAR seem like a pretty fake plastic "power pop" band, and I really wouldn't expect that from them. It's cool to see rock stars do something nice for a fan like that.

• Members

Five bands:

October Falls, From First To Last, Hawthorne Heights, All-Amercian Rejects, Fall Out Boy...With the exception of the Rejects, they all sounded the same.

A total of 11 guitar players in these bands, and not one of them played a solo. All this was was tuned-down, bash-away at it chord playing. WTF? All the teeny girls seemed to like it.

uhhhh, do you just randomly buy tickets to concerts?

youve never heard any of their music before?

their style is a shock to you somehow?

regardless of their music, thats your own damn fault and its pretty funny.

• Members

The Rejects were very nice. They actually played well and understand song structure. They should have been the headliner. Tyson Ritter is the songer writer/producer/singer/bass player. He seems to really know what he is doing. They are a "Pop" band, but in a Cheap Trick sort of way. They can write and perform hooky songs that have some force behind them. It was a HUGE deal for him to be so polite to my daughter, but then to give her tix...In ORBIT she was!!!:thu:

• Members

Its EMO guys, don't expect much from it. Its pop punk with screamo vocals. Terrible bands and most have little talent. I went to see an AC/DC tribute band here that is really good and they had a bunch of these types of bands opening the show -- they all pretty much sucked and it was kind of sad because the kids liked it (zero taste) and one of the bands had great musicians (who played some interesting things and had solos) but they were playing in a {censored}ty genre didn't let them really shine -- I thought they should can the singer (with black eyeliner and black painted finger nails) and become a prog band.

• Members

lol. . .I saw fall out boy for free by givin the bouncer at rock city a ticket to another gig that id already been too.

I'd never heard them before that gig, but when i did i wished i hadn't!

Cloverdale, 2 questions:

1) Did they keep doing this gay routine - jump off a wall, 360 with their guitar, put one foot one the bass drum and then repeat?Cos the did that more than they played their instruments at Nottingham.

2). If you're not a teeny girl why the hell were you there in the first place?

EDIT: No flamers please, I was only there for free, so I don't count.

• Members

Originally posted by patrick_fox

2). If you're not a teeny girl why the hell were you there in the first place?

As we barristers say-- "Objection, m'lord, asked and answered."

Except this side of the pond we don't call nobody "m'lord."

He was there because his daughter got free tix.

BK

• Members

Songs don't have to have solos to be good but they can bring alot to a song . Having a good solo on a bad song is much different then a good solo on a good song. Solos don't have to be fancy or super fast to be good. I'd rather listen to simple melodic George Harrison solos, Jeff Beck, Jimi Hendrix, Jerry Cantrell, Joe Perry, Albert King, Les Paul, Fred Mcdowell, Elmore James rather then super fast computer generated like accuracy (lifeless feeling) that go on too long and get boring even if some of the licks are inpressive.

Sometimes bands have solos but because of poor band dynamics, scooped mids on guitar amps, bad/muddy sound mix, or failing to boost the level or mids for solos, they tend to end up burried in the mix in a live setting. A boost pedal (set up right) can be very valuable for making solos cut through without the soundguy/gal having to lift a finger.

• Members

The Rejects were very nice. They actually played well and understand song structure. They should have been the headliner. Tyson Ritter is the songer writer/producer/singer/bass player. He seems to really know what he is doing. They are a "Pop" band, but in a Cheap Trick sort of way. They can write and perform hooky songs that have some force behind them. It was a HUGE deal for him to be so polite to my daughter, but then to give her tix...In ORBIT she was!!!
:thu:

'

is your duaghter hot?

Archived