• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by utterhack

mb35, you might want to check out this thread. I started it just for you:

imho, the Peavey Valve King 112 combo is a
really
good call. 50 watts of tube goodness, and they usually go for under $300 on eBay.

Hit it now; thank HCEG later.

Thanks utterhack for starting that thread. That really helped out. Many thanks props to you! Thanks for everyone else's input too!!

MB35

Guest Anonymous

Manufacturers (and their marketing kids) have gotten into the habit of adding up the wattage to all the speakers. Audio manufacturers of car and home amps do it too. It is blatantly dishonest. And if you look hard enough, it's also illegal.

Simply stating a wattage means absolutely ZERO. Is it the total to all speakers or each speaker? Is it into an 8 ohm load or something else? Is it rms or peak? Is it continuous or a burst? How long is the burst? At what frequency range is the power produced? 20-20k, 40-20k, 1k only? How much distorsion is being produced?

A 120 watt spec, if stated the way it's supposed to be stated, may turn out to be a 2 watt amp!

Watts is NOT watts!

• Members

The solid-state vs. tube thing has a lot to do with how amps are rated. Usually it's x watts RMS..BEFORE poweramp distortion. For example a Marshall Superlead rated at 100W puts out about 180W when turned all the way up when it's distorting quite a bit.

With tube amps you can do this because the output stage distortion sounds musical. With solid-state amps you can't, you don't want the output stage to distort. This is why there are 300W solid-state guitar amps around.

So basically if you're getting a solid-state amp there is no harm in having more headroom, but with a tube amp lower wattage can be beneficial depending on the kind of tones you want/need and what kind of feel you prefer - most

Then there's the question of speaker sensitivity. More sensitive speakers equals more volume. Many solid-state amps do come with poor speakers so that will also hurt their performance.

• Members

I've never tried a Rogue amp, but a friend bought a 4 channel PA because he needed something cheap to power monitors in his setup. Worked fine for about 6 months, then just stopped working. And this was a house PA, sat inside his rehearsal space without being moved. Based on that reliability issue, I'd never buy anything Rogue.

• Members

A Line 6 Spider 212 is far beyond loud enough to gig with and sounds good. Not the best by any stretch but they don't sound bad. They are very very bass heavy; so if you have a super-dark guitar you might be turned off.

I have had reliability issues with mine twice over about a 6 year period; don't know if that is typical or not. But you can probably find a used one for pretty cheap.

• Members

Originally posted by pink freud

120watt solidstate amp maxed out from my general experience is about as loud as a 50watt tube amp on about 3-4.

your experience is garbage. I've played a peavey valveking 212 which I assume is a legal 60w tube amp at 3-4 and a 100/120 watt solidstate at 3-4 and the solid state was slightly lower. I'm 100% sure a cranked solidstate would blow the tube away.

• Members

Originally posted by GilmourD

In addition to this, remeber:

100 watts is only twice as loud as 10 watts.

So, that means that the 120 watt amp you want is only twice as loud as a 12 watter.

It is true, BTW.

This is non-intuitive.

Two Champs running full bore are not twice as loud as one Champ running full bore. You need TEN of the puppers by this argument.

"If a sound has 10 times the power of a reference (10dB) we hear it as twice as loud. If we merely double the power (3dB), the difference will be just noticeable."

http://arts.ucsc.edu/EMS/Music/tech_background/TE-06/teces_06.html

• Members

Originally posted by argh

your experience is garbage. I've played a peavey valveking 212 which I assume is a legal 60w tube amp at 3-4 and a 100/120 watt solidstate at 3-4 and the solid state was slightly lower. I'm 100% sure a cranked solidstate would blow the tube away.

At normal, full-power class A/B operation, the ValveKing 212 is a 100W tube amp. The rear-panel Texture control can be adjusted to reduce output by up to 60% in Class A mode.

Unless you know where the Texture control was set, it's going to be awfully hard to tell what you were comparing.

• Members

Originally posted by mysterybat35

Hi,

How is everyone? I am a bit confused here. What is the difference between a combo amp that has specs. of two 60 watt speakers and a combo amp that has specs. of 120 Watt s with 2 X12 speakers? Do 120 watt combo amps have 60 watts in each speaker? Rogue has a very nice 120 watt amp for the money , but what I want to know is if it is actually just two 60 watt amps put together. Or is there a difference? Thanks

MB35

WITHOUT QUESTION THE BEST AVATAR ON THIS SITE !!!!

I'M BLOWN THE FUCK AWAY BIGTIME !!!!

Ernie Isley is my mentor and my hero.

I love that cat and have followed him for 30 years.

He's the reason I play lead guitar.

If you dig Ernie, you're alright with me brother...BIGTIME !

(think I'm lying, ask my boy Smokey McPot !)

:thu:

• Members

Originally posted by utterhack

At normal, full-power class A/B operation, the ValveKing 212 is a 100W tube amp. The rear-panel Texture control can be adjusted to reduce output by up to 60% in Class A mode.

Unless you know where the Texture control was set, it's going to be awfully hard to tell what you were comparing.

it was set to kill

• Members

Hahhaa.. yeah you are right .. I just realized you had replied. I haven't been playing as long as you have but Ernie Isley also inspired me to pick up the guitar. After seeing him in concert I was totally blown away. Hey man I sent you a PM some time back about if you were interested in some Ernie Isley or Isley Brothers stuff. Let me know something Bernardo. Thanks

MB35

Originally posted by bernardo gui

WITHOUT QUESTION THE BEST AVATAR ON THIS SITE !!!!

I'M BLOWN THE FUCK AWAY BIGTIME !!!!

Ernie Isley is my mentor and my hero.

I love that cat and have followed him for 30 years.

He's the reason I play lead guitar.

If you dig Ernie, you're alright with me brother...BIGTIME !

(think I'm lying, ask my boy Smokey McPot !)

:thu:

• Members

and I've never seen 2x60 in any title for any amp so yes its 120w total, 60 in each speaker.

Aren't some of those Behringer SS modelling amps 2x60?

• Members

Originally posted by Zen

:confused:

inches?

they mentioned 2x60 which usually means how many speakers x how big they are.

i said it would be silly to have 60 inch speakers

• Members

I seem to remember reading somewhere that tube amps SOUND louder due to the way our ears hear the sound...? Like, I believe it was referred to as "percieved loudness"? Perhaps someone can yay or nay that...

On topic, try and find a used Traynor. I have the 50 Blue, quite sufficient.

• Members

they mentioned 2x60 which usually means how many speakers x how big they are.

i said it would be silly to have 60 inch speakers

Why would you think that? With a stereo amp it ordinarily refers to the power/channel.

• Members
Originally posted by tlbonehead

Yes,but Behr watts are more compact than normal ones.

What do you mean? Behringer watts are more "compact" than the watts on amps from other manufacturers? I don't know what "compact" means. And I haven't heard anywhere else that Behringer amps are less powerful or loud -- watt for watt, solid state to solid state -- than other manufacturers.

Archived