BWAM (Band with a Mission)

Kramerguy

• Members

Anyone heard of this "showcase" / promotor?

It seems like a scam right off the bat, but from what I found online, it seems to be pretty straight forward (doesn't make promises they can't keep). They pretty much seem to do exactly what they claim, and the rest is up to you. Some debate I found called it a P2P, but I'm not sure that it really is.

Any experiences or thoughts out there on this one?

** some things starred out intentionally.

Here's the letter we got:

Hey ***!

I hope you are having a great day! Is your song ******** new?? Would you be interested in playing in Nashville for some music Industry Reps?? I work for a company that gets hired by Record Labels, Management, Booking Agencies, and Publishing companies to find their next big Artist. At one of our last showcases we had a lot of people including Josh Farro (lead guitarist and writer for Paramore) Lynn Nichols (former VP of A&R for EMI) etc. Here is a little video that we shot that has them talking about one of the bands. http://www.twitvid.com/L2FE2.

Some people and companies that we have showcased for are: Warner Brothers, Universal, EMI, Sony BMG, Hollywood Records, Midas Records, Disney, Teleprompt, Showdown Management, Word Records, Fervent Records, Provident Label Group, Sony, William Morris Agency, Jeff Roberts & Associates, EMI Publishing, Word Publishing, etc.

Here is some more inside info about BWAM.

https://app.e2ma.net/app/view:CampaignPublic/id:2309.2375648803/rid:6d92dbe6dc165c0bd9c6c981ebc4909e

http://bandwithamission.wordpress.com/

Let me know if you have ANY questions.

• Members

uhhh.. you know as much as I do lol.

They supposedly set up a panel and parade many acts in front of the panel.

The panel supposedly consists of A&R guys from 7+ labels, both major and indie- presumably for consideration to be signed.

Now, my understanding of dream merchants would be the "service" would make those claims, get you to sign up, then you show up and play to three people who don't know what a label is-

But what if they actually deliver what they claim, and well.. the rest is up to you?

Is it (still) a scam simply because there's a fee involved- is there a possibility of a service like this being legit?

And if so, can this particular service be legit?

I just don't know - It smells fishy, simply because this is how they ALL seem to start. But what if it's legit? That's why I'm asking if anyone has had personal experience or even just heard anything about them-

• Members

well I've given one example in another thread of someone who used (paid) sonicbids to get into a music conference that indirectly led that person to getting signed.

If you want to trash P2P, there's plenty of threads already doing that.

What I'm asking for is discussion on this specific service, not generic P2P bashing-

I am strongly against p2p and dream merchants that rip off musicians, but some p2p scenarios CAN and DO offer honest and obtainable results, and what I'm asking is if anyone has anything to share about this specific service, not p2p in general.

• Members

you will need to do some research...google the outfit and see what comes up.

I did, it was inconclusive, so coming here was plan b.

I hate when I can't find much of anyone reflecting personal experiences with services like this- It really makes me wonder- Are they legit and just you get what you get, or do they screw ppl over and anytime someone says something bad, the lawyers make sites take down negative content or face being legislated to death?

I found one other music forum online where it was discussed, but it was 5 pages of accusations with no personal experiences to back any of it up (aka opinions).

I'd hate to blow a good opportunity just because we're too paranoid.

• Moderators

I think it is always better to err on the side of caution, rather than get screwed over for being naive or over zealous.

Open a dialogue with these people, and see what the deal really is. It can't cost you anything to ask.

Experience,however, tells me that they probably are not all that well connected in the industry for a few reasons, one of which is that bands are not the driving force in popular (read: money making) music, so who in the industry wants to sit in a room with other industry types and listen to a band they probably will not sign?

• Members

Avoid it. Most of these types of things are scams. They're all over the internet, and for as many people that dismiss them immediately, there's others that get sucked into the rock n' roll dream, and get their hopes crushed.

I had a cousin that did the whole thing in Nashville...you have to pay to make your recordings and fly out on your own dime, and the truth really is that if people believed in you, they'd be financing it. She found out that she had no one to push the recording--no manager, no label, no real support.

Perhaps they really do see some merit in some of the acts that they contact, but you'd really have no way to know how much they're really invested or interested in you. Especially now when the industry has constricted radically due to file sharing, it seems doubly ridiculous....in the 60's, bands were signing left and right to contracts that paid them a wage in lieu of actual record sales, but now that the industry doesn't even have that money to play with for financial risks on bands, the idea of bands financing their own shot at the whole dream is just crazy. They'll lure the delusionists into it, but unfortunately, those people will probably never give up the rock n' roll dream, even after being harshly being slapped in the face by reality.

• Members

I spoke with an "insider" in the industry, and he told me this:

point-blank: if anyone was really interested in us, they would fly in to a gig and check out our act completely unannounced and unknown to us- and if they were to approach us (read: still interested after seeing us perform), it would be face-to-face, not by email.

In thinking about it, this would be consistent with the few people I've known to get signed to a major or even indie label-

Sorry if I came off cocky at some points , I do stand corrected. This is a frustrating business.

Archived