can you coil tap any humbucker?

Zeopold

• Members

Originally posted by k4df4l

if it has the conductors necessary, yes. If not, you have to either modify it or replace.

How would I find out? Forgive my ignorance, but I've never owned a guitar with humbuckers in 20 years...

• Members

Originally posted by TheDarxide

He said tap, not split. He could get away with three......

...however he most likely means split since most folks don't know the difference and tapping is not specific to buckers (plus not very common).

• Members

Originally posted by TheDarxide

He said tap, not split. He could get away with three......

I stand corrected. :)

But I expect he means split.

And 3 wires is most likely to be 2 ends and a ground rather than a tap.

Let's confuse the {censored} out of him shall we! :D

Anyway. Count the wires.

• Members

Originally posted by k4df4l

...however he most likely means split since most folks don't know the difference and tapping is not specific to buckers (plus not very common).

:D

I only remember the difference because I rebuilt an old strat and couldn't figure out what the third lead was for.

• Members

I 'tapped' a Gibson PAF (2 wire with shield) by connecting another wire where the windings go from the first half to the second half of the pickup.

Solder the wire to one pole of a mini toggle switch (2 pole) and the other pole of the switch to ground.

Turns your 'humbucker' into a single coil.

Flipping the switch again turns it back into a humbucker.

:cool:

• Members

Originally posted by wfranklin

so what exactly is the difference between splitting and tapping?

Splitting is using one of the coils. Tapping is cutting down the amount of windings to lower the output of the pickup. It's supposed to get you in the range of a single coil pickup, but is still hum-free. I would imagine the two are pretty different sounding.

• Members

Originally posted by i51423

Splitting is using one of the coils. Tapping is cutting down the amount of windings to lower the output of the pickup. It's supposed to get you in the range of a single coil pickup, but is still hum-free. I would imagine the two are pretty different sounding.

Single coils can be tapped to :thu:

you are just using fewer effective winds on the coil(s).

• Members

Originally posted by
k4df4l

Single coils can be tapped to
:thu:
you are just using fewer effective winds on the coil(s).

[PEDANT MODE]

Forget the difference between tapping and splitting - I'm just impressed that someone on this board knows the difference between 'less' and 'fewer'...

...then you went and ruined it all by substituting 'to' for 'too'...

[/PEDANT MODE]

• Members

Originally posted by One-armed Alec

[PEDANT MODE]

Forget the difference between tapping and splitting - I'm just impressed that someone on this board knows the difference between 'less' and 'fewer'...

...then you went and ruined it all by substituting 'to' for 'too'...

[/PEDANT MODE]

so english teachers play guitar too?

sorry I post while I am working and have to focus on content over grammar :p:D

• Members

Originally posted by
k4df4l

so english teachers play guitar
too
?

I'm almost flattered... I'd be the first to admit that my English is not even close to educational standards :).

sorry I post while I am working and have to focus on content over grammar
:p:D

Fair enough:

If you are a school kid, or English is not your first language, then I apologise for picking on you unduly.

If you are a grown adult, who speaks English as a first language, then think bleeding shame on yourself! That was almost an admission that you actually have to think about the very fundamentals of grammar!

• Members

I'm almost flattered... I'd be the first to admit that my English is not even close to educational standards
:)

Fair enough:

If you are a school kid, or English is not your first language, then I apologise for picking on you unduly.

If you are a grown adult, who speaks English as a first language, then think bleeding shame on yourself! That was almost an admission that you actually have to
think
about the very fundamentals of grammar!

I am sorry I hurt your feelings..shame on me.

• Members

But I said I was flattered.....

I did start the conversation with a compliment!

Just a bit of banter - no offence meant.

don't worry, I am alright...are you? I am concerned.

• Members

I am fine - cheers.

What happened to your old avatar, BTW? I barely recognised you there.

Time for a change and the album cover is a long time favorite. :thu: Funny, I never would have thought the avatars would be so interesting to have before we got em. The avatars in amps with the chickenhead nugget and EVH are excellent.

• Members

I successfully tapped one of the old T tops from of my Les Paul once. I just went in and found the wire going form one coil to the other and jumped in there. I don't know what possessed me to do it-I had no knowledge, but I was young and had the guts. It worked for a while and then something went funky in it and now it's lying in a pile of parts in my basement somewhere-LOL!

-Mikey

• Members

Originally posted by
k4df4l

Time for a change and the album cover is a long time favorite.
Funny, I never would have thought the avatars would be so interesting to have before we got em. The avatars in amps with the chickenhead nugget and EVH are excellent.

Yeah - it's funny how avatars (and user names too, I guess) can colour the way you think of forumites. For instance - when I see Alchemist's posts, I always think of Jeff Goldblum (cool guy?), although I'm not even sure that the guy in his avatar actually is Jeff Goldblum... :freak:

Or JJ Pistols - his avatar suits him perfectly. I don't mean anything negative by this at all, but you know what I mean ;).

Me - I use a muppet - and that says it all :D.

• Members

For instance - when I see Alchemist's posts, I always think of Jeff Goldblum (cool guy?), although I'm not even sure that the guy in his avatar actually
is
Jeff Goldblum...
:freak:

lol. I know exactly what you mean...even though I know it's Kramer, I associate Goldblum with him at times too.

Archived