Help a newb decide on a guitar

DrunkenMaster

• Members

I had an older Mexican Strat which I've heard now is similar to what is currently made oversees (guy at Guitar Center told me that it was basically bottom of the barrel).

Anyway, I traded it in and got an accoustic Fender that I like, but now I'm ready to get another Electric. So the problem is that I really want a Les Paul, but I don't have the cash to spend on one (Got a baby on the way!), so what is a good alternative, will I really notice a difference if I go with an Epiphone, and even if I won't notice a difference, is there something that I should be aware of that is the difference between an Epiphone and a Gibson?

I have about a 700 dollar budget at this point. Any suggestions? Thanks.

• Members

Thanks for the quick responses, but some of the lingo is beyond me. Are these guitars just good deals, or are they good sounding/playing guitars? Can a good guitarist play and sound good on any guitar, or will the guitar make a huge difference?

• Members

I have a Gibson LP Studio and a PRS Santana SE.

I (and everyone else who compared them) think the PRS is waaaay nicer. It just speaks to you more!
Maybe I got a dud LP, but maybe.....

Try the PRS SEs, budget for new pickups (not strictly necessary, but always the first thing I change) and see if that comes within budget. You may be surprised.

Chris

• Members

Originally posted by DrunkenMaster

Thanks for the quick responses, but some of the lingo is beyond me. Are these guitars just good deals, or are they good sounding/playing guitars? Can a good guitarist play and sound good on any guitar, or will the guitar make a huge difference?

Sounds like you should be doing a lot of research before buying your next guitar. Remember, this place has a lot of biased opinions. Use Guitar Center to try, but do not buy. If you find a model you like, come here and do a search on it. Agiles are not stocked anywhere, so if you want one, you are taking a chance trusting the forum members here for their opinions.

• Members

You make the difference DM.

A bad player can make a great guitar sound terrible, just a good player can make a pawnshop special sing.

Pick one or two guitars that are recommended here, play several of each and choose the one that feels like it's yours. If you get caught up in what names on the headstock or what country it's made in you may distract yourself. American is better (by and large, please don't noone start flaming me), but Korean/Mexican is very, very close.

A guitar that feels good to you in your hands, with good pickups and a professional setup will be a joy to play.

Lingo Shmingo!

Chris

Basically if it feels and sounds good to you. It's a good guitar. That being said, you should be able to get a great guitar in the $400 - $600 range with no problem and it doesn't have to be american.

All the guitars mentioned here are capable of giving great bang for the buck!!

• Members

I just got back from Guitar Center, and I pretty much fell in love with a Gibson SG Faded. What do you guys think of this guitar? They want $689.00 for her, is it worth it? thanks!

I dig those! Especially in brown.
Go for it! :thu:

• Members
Originally posted by batotman

Don't buy an agile unless you want a shoulder breaker with subpar pickups and a neck you can't get used to. I still have my AL3000 but I won't be buying another.

You keep the guitar that you don't like?:freak:

• Members

oh, one other question for you guys, I have never played a Gibson before today, are the frets usually square shape, or is that just an SG thing? I actually liked it compared to the Strat that I played today as well, and the strat was in the $1800 range... I think it was the Clapton Strat.

What is a good resource to figure out the difference between Burstbuckers and Humbuckers and all the other stuff that I'm trying to decipher from reading? And what are pots?

• Members

What is a good resource to figure out the difference between Burstbuckers and Humbuckers and all the other stuff that I'm trying to decipher from reading? And what are pots?

Your ears and fingers. Seriously - forget about all the crap you read on the boards, and use your own hearing and feel to determine whether or not the guitar works for you.

'Pots' are potentiometers. These are variable resistors, which are used for volume and tone controls on guitars and amps.

• Members

Originally posted by SteinbergerHack

'Pots' are potentiometers. These are variable resistors, which are used for volume and tone controls on guitars and amps.

Ah, thanks... I noticed at the store when I was playing that the volume wasn't very sensitive, it like kicked on at 3, and then it didn't change much throughout the range, I forget which guitar I was playing when I experienced that though. Is that something that would be changed if you switched pots?

• Members

Ah, thanks... I noticed at the store when I was playing that the volume wasn't very sensitive, it like kicked on at 3, and then it didn't change much throughout the range, I forget which guitar I was playing when I experienced that though. Is that something that would be changed if you switched pots?

Yeah, different pots have smoother volume increase that has a nice uniform adjustment across the turning of the knob.

Archived