Do you pay someone to set up your guitar?

sporka

• Members

Okay, my friends seem to find it good to go up to Sunset Blvd, and pay some guy $100 BUCKS (!!!!!!!) to set up a guitar.

I really don't get it.

I don't see why this fancy "Professional Guitar Repairs" neon lights gives the guy any more credibility than a person who can read instructions on how to set up your instrument in an online tutorial.

It's not like the guy can secretly reach undiscovered tone-spots on the guitar and make it sound better.

So here is my question:

With a good online tutorial (which someone should be awesome enough to link), can't I do whatever it is the guitar "technician" does to an electric guitar?

Thanks for all the input.

• Members

Originally posted by sporka

With a good online tutorial (which someone should be awesome enough to link), can't I do whatever it is the guitar "technician" does to an electric guitar?

there are probably literally hundreds of those, some of them dedicated to a particular model of guitar. just do a search for 'guitar setup' or 'les paul setup' etc

• Members

Originally posted by sporka

Okay, my friends seem to find it good to go up to Sunset Blvd, and pay some guy $100 BUCKS (!!!!!!!) to set up a guitar.

I really don't get it.

I don't see why this fancy "Professional Guitar Repairs" neon lights gives the guy any more credibility than a person who can read instructions on how to set up your instrument in an online tutorial.

It's not like the guy can secretly reach undiscovered tone-spots on the guitar and make it sound better.

So here is my question:

Thanks for all the input.

With time and effort you can learn to do just about all the set-up work you will most likely ever need. I did. It takes some research, trial and error..etc but it can be done. These days I can do just about everything except MAJOR fret work. Mabye someday I will get into learning that. I also learned how to do basic AMP tech stuff. Cap jobs and such. It saves you alot of cash in the long run and also enables you to really take advantage of the "U-fix it" deals that come around now and then.

I do not work on strangers guitars and amps though. I wouldnt want to F-up someones guitar while trying to drill bigger holes for new tunning pegs etc...

• Members

If that $100 is for a very basic setup, then it's a crock. Just about anybody should be able to adjust their neck relief, set their action and adjust their intonation.

Now, if that includes fret or nut work, then it starts sounding like more of a deal. To do either frets or nuts, you need some files and a little bit of experience to do it right. Somebody that's never done it before might be able to do it well, but the pro can do a better job faster and you don't have to buy $100 worth of tools. Of course, if you want to learn, then by all means buy the tools and a couple of cheap necks to practice on. That $100 investment in tools will pay for itself pretty quickly.

• Members

When Zion Guitars had thier shop in Greensboro NC I would go there and get my guitars setup, and the guy did a great job of it.

Much better than I could have done.

Over the years I've learned quite a bit about getting them to play the way I want, but if there's a real problem I don't mind paying the pro's for the fix.

• Moderators

It's very useful to learn how to do a basic setup yourself- it's not that hard.

That said, I occasionally take my guitar to a tech I know and trust well (he charges $40) and have him do a setup- he can do it faster and better so sometimes it's nice to treat myself.

$100 is steep!

• Members

$100 is way to much.

I pay $30 to have it done. I've paid to have all my guitars done, except my Cort. I did them one per paycheck, and got it back the next day each time (or sooner on a few).

Reason: because as a newbie, I had no idea how to install strings or adjust anything. Didn't want to mess up anything.

For a newbie, there's some scary things like:

how to properly wind a string at the tuning peg

how to install the string on a trem system

how to adjust a trem system

how to adjust the truss rod

how to file a bridge on an accoustic

Now, I've found it easy to adjust intonation on a fixed bridge. Haven't needed new strings yet, but if it's on my fixed bridge axes, I'll try that next.

I still haven't touched the truss rod, or any screws on my trems.

Some folks aren't very technical or handy with tools.

• Members

Well, I might be a little off on the pricing, I will ask my friend again.

I remember that one time it cost him atleast 100+ to replace the tuners to locking ones on his sg, and a set up.

It's somewhere between 50-100 bucks though, just for a setup, I am not talking about any fretwork or anything like that. I am talking intonation, truss adjustment, action, etc.

When I saw how simple the tutorials online were, I couldn't believe they were paying so much for it.

I kind of set up my mexi strat, aside from intonation, to what I like. I bet the pro can do it better, but with more time, I can probably do it better than him, considering that it is what I want, only I will know when it is perfect.

• Members

I use a Luthier in Seattle next to a huge GC store to do some of my set up work.

I am comfortable with:

Changing strings:D

Bridge Height Adjustments

Intonation

Adjusting trem action

Adjusting truss rods

But I'm not comfortable with:

File adjusting nut slot depths

or

Fret Leveling

The guy I use does all the top group plus adjusting the nut slots for about $50

For around $125 he does everything including fret leveling, crowning and polishing. And although that is a lot of money, I don't have the three hundred dollars of tools it would take to do the fret and nut work. And if I were to screw up any of that work, the cost of the repair for a new nut or fret replacement would be a penalty I wouldn't want to pay.

BUT! Since I have a lot of guitars, I figure I should pop the cherry and at least venture into nut work.

But the guitars I've had him work on have very good action when he's done.

Usually, the only thing I find myself worry about is the nut slots. I'm always a bit bummed when the nut slots are cut higher than a "zero fret" height, because the rest I can do myself.

I brought him one guitar for a setup and he almost immediately found a high fret that I didn't even realize was there. But you can buy a fairly inexpense triangular edge that will cover the length of about 3 frets to check for "rocking points" or high frets.

But I do know that a lot of folks go at their nuts with inexpensive stuff ranging from x-acto knives to a piece of guitar string with or without some sand paper.

• Moderators

Originally posted by GAS Man

But I do know that a lot of folks go at their nuts with inexpensive stuff ranging from x-acto knives to a piece of guitar string with or without some sand paper.

:eek:

• Members

If you are interested in doing your own work on guitars I would suggest that you pick up a copy of the book, "How to Make Your Electric Guitar Play Great" by Dan Erlewine. (available at www.stewmac.com and www.amazon.com)

It's the best resource I have seen yet for learning about doing different work on your guitar including setups.

Hope this helps,

-Ron

• Members

there's a guy that owns this local shop. it's a total hole in the wall; hardly anyone knows about it. he hasn't spent much on advertising and he really doesn't intend to. I *found* it one day, walked in, looked around, and walked out with a good condition 60s Strat for $395 out the door 30 minutes later. The guy has been so generous to me ever since, that he will set up any of my guitars/fix my amps free of charge.

:) super nice guy.

I think I also might go back sometime and buy the Gibson Les Paul Studio he has up there for $550. :thu:

• Members

as many other said, I think it is essential to learn the basics of guitar setup for any guitar player. I am very picky with neck relief and although some necks seem to require no adjustments at all during the year (ex. Teles' necks are solid as rocks, they never move) there are guitars (i find mahogany necks being VERY unstable with temperature changes for example) that call for a small trus rod adjustmen almost every week, it would be crazy to send it out everytime I need to do that.

I only play fixed bridge guitars, but when I had floyds I kept doing all the setup myself, it's really easy.

Fret job is more delicate.. I filed down a couple of high frets some time ago.. I never tried changing or filing down a nut although I would like to replace the crappy plastic on the 2 japanese jackson I have.. but the process of "hammering" the old nut out just scares me.

At the end of the day, learning to do basic setup might be a bit risky for your guitar, but it feels like part of being guitarplayer for me.

• Members

i think i am correct in saying that no matter how professional the guitar tech/luthier, it is just not possible for him/her to know exactly what feels best to you. That part is subjective at best. Thus, if you can learn the basics of setup yourself, you will not only save money but can approach owning an infinitely playable guitar. That being said, if required, I will not hesitate to take my guitar to a pro luthier who may need to cut and glue in an ebony shim or re-carve a bridge saddle, etc to tweak my guitar just right. a new nut is sometimes indicated with severe string gauge changes and although i have cut many a nut myself, sometimes i want a truly professional job.

frets too. it is ok to practice and develop some basic filing/crowning skills, but some of the more complicated work can go to the pro

• Members

Originally posted by kunos

.. but the process of "hammering" the old nut out just scares me.

instead of hammering, you may try going at it with a Dremel tool, OR, just use your standard drill to perf a series of "weight relief holes" into the old nut to weaken it. eventually, you can use some very light taps to bust out the remaining pieces.

if you are replacing the original nut, it may be necessary to first score along the nut in the finish using a razor blade, otherwise you may end up ripping out some hunks of lacquer with the old nut.

Archived