Do you pay someone to set up your guitar?

sporka

• Members

Originally posted by Janx

$100 is way to much.

I pay $30 to have it done. I've paid to have all my guitars done, except my Cort. I did them one per paycheck, and got it back the next day each time (or sooner on a few).

Reason: because as a newbie, I had no idea how to install strings or adjust anything. Didn't want to mess up anything.

For a newbie, there's some scary things like:

how to properly wind a string at the tuning peg

how to install the string on a trem system

how to adjust a trem system

how to adjust the truss rod

how to file a bridge on an accoustic

Now, I've found it easy to adjust intonation on a fixed bridge. Haven't needed new strings yet, but if it's on my fixed bridge axes, I'll try that next.

I still haven't touched the truss rod, or any screws on my trems.

Some folks aren't very technical or handy with tools.

You own five guitars and you don't know how to properly restring a guitar. Maybe you should invest more time in learning how to restring a guitar than buying more guitars that you can't do even the most basic work on...

No offense.

Every guitarist should learn at least the basics: proper restringing, basic action adjustments (string height/truss rod), intonation, adjusting a trem system. A guitarist should also be able to do minor electrical work (e.g. swapping pickups, pots, switches, etc). Furthermore, a guitarist should be able to at least diagnose a nut, fret, or neck problem problem even if he or she can't fix it. It's all pretty simple stuff that requires few tools if any. In fact, being able to give measurements and numbers are really only good for communicating with others; it's probably best to just go by feel which is the whole reason setups are even done.

The bottom line is that no tech will know exactly what you want in a setup regardless of how well you describe it (which few do well). Even minute adjustments can make a huge difference in how the guitar feels to you as the player; what they like or what 99% of other players like might not be what you like. I've had several setups done by several different techs of the years and have never been completely satisfied; in most cases, I've ended up changing many of the adjustments that they made.

• Members

Everybody should do want they damn well want! Always.

But they should make sure they don't want to do what I want to do. Ever! At least not at the same time. Well OK, but not in the same place. Unless I want you to. :mad: :mad: :mad:

• Members

Originally posted by geek_usa

there's a guy that owns this local shop. it's a total hole in the wall; hardly anyone knows about it. he hasn't spent much on advertising and he really doesn't intend to. I *found* it one day, walked in, looked around, and walked out with a good condition 60s Strat for $395 out the door 30 minutes later. The guy has been so generous to me ever since, that he will set up any of my guitars/fix my amps free of charge.

:)
super nice guy.

I think I also might go back sometime and buy the Gibson Les Paul Studio he has up there for $550.
:thu:

That's a great find.

Don't tell the guy what a lousy businessman he is. Shhh..

;)

• Members
Originally posted by Nelson1006

I have paid 25 dollars for a set up. I really want to learn how to do it myself.

That avatar is probably one of the funniest I have seen.That is hilarious.I laughed my ass off when i seen that.Still am LMAO!.....Oh,and just to stay on topic I set up my guitars myself.There are some great online tutorials to show you how to adjust the intonation etc.

• Members

Originally posted by strat_predator

You own five guitars and you don't know how to properly restring a guitar. Maybe you should invest more time in learning how to restring a guitar than buying more guitars that you can't do even the most basic work on...

No offense.

Well oddly enough, all the guitars belong to my wife. Long convoluted process getting there, though I know more about playing them than she does...

I'm coming up to speed on guitar stuff. At the time, I didn't want to mess with it.

• Members

Originally posted by Janx

$100 is way to much.

I pay $30 to have it done. I've paid to have all my guitars done, except my Cort. I did them one per paycheck, and got it back the next day each time (or sooner on a few).

Reason: because as a newbie, I had no idea how to install strings or adjust anything. Didn't want to mess up anything.

Now, I've found it easy to adjust intonation on a fixed bridge. Haven't needed new strings yet, but if it's on my fixed bridge axes, I'll try that next.

I still haven't touched the truss rod, or any screws on my trems.

Some folks aren't very technical or handy with tools.

lol... do you tune yourself of you call up some call center on the phone to help you with that? :freak:

• Members

Originally posted by kunos

lol... do you tune yourself of you call up some call center on the phone to help you with that?
:freak:

No, I do that myself. Tuners are cheap, and easy to use, and there's less a newbie can screw up tuning that messing with truss rods.

What's the big deal about paying someone to do a setup? It's cheap, and saves me time, and I know it's done right.

Consider how many folks pay me to do work on their PCs. Afterall, everybody ought to be able to do basic maintenance on their PC...setup network, clean out the registry of malware, replace hard drive, install OS is all pretty trivial stuff that everybody should know how to do if their going to use a PC.

If you can easily afford to pay someone else to do a chore, your time may be better spent doing something else.

If you know how to do work on your guitar, great for you. Not everyone chooses to learn that aspect.

• Members

Yes, I'll pay for a pro set-up.

As long as he has a good "rep", and doesn't charge too much.

The guy I use has done set up's for years, and charges $40.

I know it's done right, and my peace of mind is worth that much. :thu:

• Members

I do everything except fret work myself. Sometimes I will bring a guitar to a pro for nut adjustments if I don't feel comfortable doing it.

As a few of you mentioned, there are plenty of tutorials online that walk you through all aspects of guitar setups.

I'm constantly making fine adjustments to my guitars. I enjoy doing it. I also do all my own wiring and replacing of electronics now thanks to all the information that can be found online.

• Members

When I first started playing I did it all myself because I had the time, not the money, and I didn't know any better. I lost confidence for a few years when I learned that there are people who professionally set up guitars for others.

Then I got Dan Erlewine's book and I havent looked back. I've spent no more than

• Members

People who do their own setups are smart and good, I'm sure.

I never do my own setups, ever. I pay a guitar tech to do it. I've never been sorry and never felt bad about paying to have it done.

There's a lot involved in a quality setup. Accurate intonation, neck curvature, bridge height, fret inspection (to determine if leveling is needed,) and so forth. I like having the action as low as it can be without buzzing, but I am heavy-handed, so it needs to be higher than some other players would be able to do. I play a lot of stuff by ear, and I need to have the intonation set as accurately as it can be.

I change my own strings.

As a percentage of purchase price, professional setup is absurdly cheap. I wouldn't build my own guitar, and I'm not gonna set it up, either.

• Members

Originally posted by sporka

Okay, my friends seem to find it good to go up to Sunset Blvd, and pay some guy $100 BUCKS (!!!!!!!) to set up a guitar.

I really don't get it.

I don't see why this fancy "Professional Guitar Repairs" neon lights gives the guy any more credibility than a person who can read instructions on how to set up your instrument in an online tutorial.

It's not like the guy can secretly reach undiscovered tone-spots on the guitar and make it sound better.

So here is my question:

With a good online tutorial (which someone should be awesome enough to link), can't I do whatever it is the guitar "technician" does to an electric guitar?

Thanks for all the input.

I pay someone to set up my guitars, but I only have to pay $25 for it. :rolleyes: Personally, I wouldn't trust myself, because I'm not exactly the most patient person in the world, and I'd be certain to get frustrated and end up destroying one of my guitars. :( I've been trying to teach myself how to do it on my MIM Strat, though. It's tough as hell, and if I annihilate it, no loss. :D

Archived