Compressor Attack and Release Times

• Members

These are only suggestions. Use your ear to fine tune them (they will vary greatly depending on the sound of the source).

Snare: A: 4.5 ms R: 4 ms , A: 16 ms R: 45 ms

Bass guitar: A: 7 ms R: 600 ms

Lead guitar: A: 1.2 ms R: 175 ms

Rhythm guitar: Yeah I don't compress that, it's already compressed. But if you want to get a suggestion for that check this video:

• Members

Depends on how the person plays and the tempo and style of the song. For the snare, you'd just get the initial transient poking through and then have the compressor kick in, but even with this, it really depends on so much.

I also wanted to point out that even if you have a really distorted - and therefore compressed - rhythm guitar track, you can still compress it and have some benefit to it. I like think of a compressor as not just something that is for squishing audio, but something that shapes it. And one benefit is creating more attack. Therefore, with distorted rhythm tracks, I'll sometimes put in a compressor with a relatively slow attack, which allows the initial strum (transient) to poke through before the compressor kicks in. You can also create more sustain.

And if it's a rhythm guitar that is not distorted, you can use the compressor to even out the playing a little bit plus all of the above.

• Members

I tend to think of attack and release in very black and white terms: either it's slow, or it's fast (relative to the sound you are compressing).

A fast attack swallows more of the initial transient.

A slow attack emphasizes more of the initial transient.

A fast release can bring out the body but also cause pumping.

A slow release can increase perception of sustain and minimize artifacts.

It's not perfect, because release also can emphasize or de-emphasize the initial transient depending on the character of the input signal. But I think it's a good place to start.

• Members

It depends entirely on the context of the mix. Bass for example can be compressed to bring out the stringyness and character or it can be compressed to make it fat and level it into a mix...or anything in between.

I'm with the above poster who said that compression is a tool for shaping a sound. That's definitely how I tend to use it.

Frank

• Members

Therefore, with distorted rhythm tracks, I'll sometimes put in a compressor with a relatively slow attack, which allows the initial strum (transient) to poke through before the compressor kicks in. .

using a slower attack in this manner, does this sort of suggest a limiter is included in the signal path? If there is a concern for transients, do you limit it first and then compress---or do you want to compress it first?

I am grateful for the help.

• Members

You might start with the settings recommended here, then gently tweak them while listening to the actual song. I am not big on setting things "by the book" and then just going with that. The "book" gives you a sensible starting point but no more. You may be surprised where you end up!

The sound is all.

-CAG

Archived