Japan for six weeks...can't take guitar!

Six Degrees

• Members

Hey everyone-

I've been looking around HC for a while, but I only post rarely. I have a bit of a dilemma, and any opinions would be really appreciated.

I'm going to Japan for six weeks for a study abroad program (it's a college program-I'm 19) but I don't think that I'm going to be able to bring my guitar along. I was wondering, does anyone know if it might be possible to rent an instrument while in Tokyo? My main problem with taking mine is that getting it through the airport with my other bags/living with a host family and not feeling like I'm taking up too much space is going to be really difficult; I'll be confused enough as it is!

On another note, I was wondering if anyone's taken a break from guitar, and if anything changes without practice. It sounds like a silly concern, I know, and I'm certainly not a very technical player, but I'm just curious about other people's experiences.

Thanks very much in advance!

-SD

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

if you have a guitar with a bolt on neck, take it apart and put it in your suitcase...if it`s hardshell...I do that all the time when I go home for holidays. works great. an electric should`t bother your host family at all, you can get a Pandoras Box here or something like it and play through headphones...cheaper than renting I`d guess.

Where will you be? You may be living in a smaller space than you`re accustomed to. Hope you like noodles...they eat a LOT of em here. You may be arriving just in time for rainy season depending on where you`ll be. And the girls well, some will like you because you`re a foreigner some won`t talk to you because you`re a foreigner... interesting place to be.

• Members

Originally posted by K3Fallout

buy an edwards

I'm sure that was said off the cuff... But, if you've got the gettus, why doncha buy yourself a nice Edwards, Burny, or Tokai while you're over there, and bring it home. :)

• Members

I bought one of these to take to Europe this summer:

tgsd1.jpg

tgsd2.jpg

tgsd3.jpg

tg3.jpg

3 pounds. The wing comes off. It has a nice little travel bag and it fits in my day pack (the neck sticks out a few inches).

I have a Korg Pandora PX4 and some Sennheiser headphones to go along with it.

• Members

Originally posted by Six Degrees

Hey everyone-

I've been looking around HC for a while, but I only post rarely. I have a bit of a dilemma, and any opinions would be really appreciated.

I'm going to Japan for six weeks for a study abroad program (it's a college program-I'm 19) but I don't think that I'm going to be able to bring my guitar along. I was wondering, does anyone know if it might be possible to rent an instrument while in Tokyo? My main problem with taking mine is that getting it through the airport with my other bags/living with a host family and not feeling like I'm taking up too much space is going to be really difficult; I'll be confused enough as it is!

On another note, I was wondering if anyone's taken a break from guitar, and if anything changes without practice. It sounds like a silly concern, I know, and I'm certainly not a very technical player, but I'm just curious about other people's experiences.

Thanks very much in advance!

-SD

If you're seriously unable to bring your guitar, here's what I'd suggest:

wait until you get here, and find out if someone in your host family plays/played guitar.

if that doesn't work, and you're in Tokyo, head to Ochanomizu and hit the musical instrument pawn shops - you will more than likely be able to find something to play in the $50 range. Strat copies with names like "legend" and "bogus" and "holly" and so forth. (I'm looking for a Bogus Les Paul, myself - just for the name on the headstock). Bring ot back or ditch it when you leave.

Unless you're planning on gigging here, that should cover you for keeping your chops together. I'd consider picking up an acoustic over an electric, because it is BBQ season, after all.

Finally, I'd consider this: You're coming to Japan for six weeks. I've been here since 2003, and I still find that there's things I have not seen and done in my little northern corner (to say nothing about the rest of Japan). Six weeks is no time.

It's an incredible country, and once you're gone, it can be difficult to get back. You may never be back, regardless of how much you want to. I've seen it. Life happens.

Don't plan on spending your time practicing sweep picking in your room. Mention to people that you play, and soon enough you'll meet someone with a spare to jam with over shochu. Hell, just asking someone "do you know where I can buy a cheap used guitar?" can lead to a jam invitation.

Whatever you decide, have a great time. Enjoy everything you experience. Don't refuse anything, and be sincere in thanking people afterward. Be a good sport, and people will treat you well.

Other random things to consider:

Haneda and Narita are not too confusing, no more than any other airport. The signs are marked clearly in english, and most of the staff will be able to help you out.

The subway/train network in Tokyo is absolute madness, and incomprehensible to many Japanese as well. Don't panic. Some wall maps are entirely in japanese, but if you look around the station there will be another in english. Don't Panic. I know it looks exactly like the circuit diagram for the new Intel chip. Don't Panic.

Write your address (and train station name) on a card (in english and japanese) and put it in your wallet. Trust me on this one. Wish I'd done it my second night in Sapporo.

Avoid taking a Taxi, whenever possible, unless you happen to have your life savings on you in Yen.

Take note of the "last train" departure time. They stop around 11 or 12, I think.

Your credit card is 99% useless. Most places don't take them. Many ATMs have a closing time, at least up here. Carry cash, always - and learn to be relaxed about the fact that you are. Even Tokyo is pretty damn safe. I don't think anything about wandering around with 400 bucks on me anymore.

• Members

What a great post about Japan aclarke!

When I was doing a show there, the company rented us instruments. Fender Jazz basses and stuff. So, there are definitely places to rent gear.

That being said, I would definitely try to buy something while I was there. As a student, I'm sure you're tight on cash, but {censored} it! If you invest in a nice piece there you'll have something you will remember for the rest of your life as a great guitar and amazing souviner of Japan.

The language can be scary, but the people are kind and they will help you. It's awfully safe (many cops don't have guns), and the kids of the street will be happy to talk to you about gear!

Good Luck, and we'll all be looking for pics in 6 weeks!

• Members

japan...you lucky dog...i like the headphone/portable guitar idea, and the tokai idea...but its japan..wow its a cool country i say get out a bit. and eat sushi! and cary a knife in your pocket like me:thu:

im an eagle scout so its become second nature to carry one...and i havent regretted it once. i dont know what the foreign laws are like about carry weapons, but a knife is a tool, not a weapon. but for security reasons, be prepared if you go out. keep a knife, a flashlight and ducttape in your backpack. stuff doesnt cost much and youll be happy you have it if something comes up.

just my 2 cents.

• Members

Originally posted by docjeff

I bought one of these to take to Europe this summer:

tgsd1.jpg
tgsd2.jpg
tgsd3.jpg
tg3.jpg

3 pounds. The wing comes off. It has a nice little travel bag and it fits in my day pack (the neck sticks out a few inches).

I have a Korg Pandora PX4 and some Sennheiser headphones to go along with it.

Hey DOCJEFF

Check your pm's!

• Members

Originally posted by zosoKing5

im an eagle scout so its become second nature to carry one...and i havent regretted it once. i dont know what the foreign laws are like about carry weapons, but a knife is a tool, not a weapon. but for security reasons, be prepared if you go out. keep a knife, a flashlight and ducttape in your backpack. stuff doesnt cost much and youll be happy you have it if something comes up.

just my 2 cents.

.......:confused:

ok...

so Japan is just about the safest place on the planet except for the odd natural disaster...

If you are only coming here for a little while, you can always do what was said above...

1) Edwards (i.e.ESP) used guitars (almost the same as the LTD brand by ESP in the states)

2) hit the pawn shops in Ochanomizu.

3) you can always rent one of mine!!! lol.

Any more info needed, PM me. As you might have noticed by my name, Im here too.

Not practicing (anything) for a few weeks is a very interesting experience. It really lets your body re-balance (practicing is not a natural thing remember - most people dont ever do it) and actually lets your fingers figure out a few things... You might be really surprised at what you notice about how you were playing and what you were playing.

• Members

yes it`s BBQ season but.....they have NOODLES at their BBQs....that ain`t right.

It`s true what ac says...6 weeks is gonna fly by...bring a camera and go to some shrines. I play my guitars every day and often while sitting on the sofa, so I understand that you want to keep your fingers nimble. `course you could go to a different guitar shop every single day and play for a couple of hours just trying stuff out. It would be a shame if you couldn`t bring a guitar back with you...and there`s gonna be a lot you`ll want I bet... maybe you can get an advance on birthday, Christmas, Easter and Bar Mitsvah [sic?] presents for the next 10 years from your family and get some money from them before you come ...[ I know I know BMs happen once...don`t they? ]

Japan is an amazing country...tiny but amazing. As an amateur photographer I carry a point and shoot with me every time I leave the apartment `cause theres almost always something to shoot.

Hope you have a bathtub you can actually stretch your legs in...ours is like sitting in a cooler..

• Members

yeah like shoppimg for the plastic food they have in restaurant windows. We went last summer and got some stuff.....too cool. There a certain part of Tokyo where they have shops that sell that, I`ll ask the wife when she gets home.

• Members

Originally posted by supercow3

what do you mean by suspect?

Suspected of a crime.

I thought it was 21 days, but maybe it's changed. They don't have to charge you with a crime during that time, by law. Lawyer.... maybe. I know they can get a judge to extend the time, as well.

• Members

Originally posted by K3Fallout

buy an edwards

ABSOLUTELY!

Pack yourself an old gigbag and when you return, tell them you brought it with you. Make sure the axe has been well played and is dirty for the return trip.

• Members

Originally posted by Sex Machine

skip practice for a day and youll notice

skip practice for a week and everyone else will notice

you need to keep practicing.

I never practice.

Nobody notices. Nobody cares.

Archived