Japan for six weeks...can't take guitar!

Six Degrees

• Members

Well, I am not scared of weird food (although I might stay away from anything that smells like gym socks). I would like to know how much it costs. For example, how much is an 8-piece sushi meal over there? Or how much is teriaki beef?

What is a good price for a Les Paul. People here have mentioned Edwards. What about Tokai?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Hmm, I never really bothered eating in upper scale restaurants due to budget issues. Let's see. I ate at a noodle shop that specialized in udon, got a huge bowl, about a foot in diameter (full halfway but you get the picture) of shrimp tempura udon for about 6$. I ate at diner like places, and ordered even more shrimp tempura along with a bunch of sides which was like 5$. I went to this indoor market once and ordered another bowl of udon for like 4$. Umm, basically all I ate while I was there was udon and shrimp tempura.

Anyway, the prices for the food there is less than it would cost in America. Most of my meals would of cost $8+ in NJ. Of course it's also better considering it's from Japan.

Sorry I can't help you with regards to the sushi. I didn't eat any there. I'm too used to Americanized sushi and hate pickled vegetables.

Also, if you look around, MIJ Tokais are highly regarded. Can't help you on the prices, but I'm sure a forumite will gladly post a link to a Japanese webshop with those brands.

• Members

plus...there are lots of all you can eat places. Many hotels have them, places like Shakeys Pizza among lots of others. Food should not be a problem. Anyways...your host family will have things planned for you too, get a couple of the guitar magazines and ask them to tell you how to get to the shops advertised in them. I paid $400.oo each for my 2 Edwards LPs so get a used one. But don`t make any plans on guitars till you get here...just wait and see. There are revolving sushi shops... cheaper than other places and anyways...you can see what food a places makes by looking at the plastic samples in the window...if worst comes to worst just point to what you want. They`re big on rice balls here. I`m sure your host family has done this before so they are aware of foreigners and our freakish tastes. :wave:

• Members
Originally posted by aussy

Hmm, I never really bothered eating in upper scale restaurants due to budget issues. Let's see. I ate at a noodle shop that specialized in udon, got a huge bowl, about a foot in diameter (full halfway but you get the picture) of shrimp tempura udon for about 6$. I ate at diner like places, and ordered even more shrimp tempura along with a bunch of sides which was like 5$. I went to this indoor market once and ordered another bowl of udon for like 4$. Umm, basically all I ate while I was there was udon and shrimp tempura.

Anyway, the prices for the food there is less than it would cost in America. Most of my meals would of cost $8+ in NJ. Of course it's also better considering it's from Japan.

Thanks, that's definitely good news. :thu: I was afraid my stay there will cost me more than the airfare. All right, so now I know I won't starve. :)

Now, the only question remains is which LP to buy and are there any customs issues I may run into when I get back to the States?

• Members
Originally posted by bob the dentist

dude....BUY A CAPARISON FOR ME!!
:eek:

When are you going, I wanna know if I'll have the cash.
:p

Seriously, it's like soo much less over there.
:thu:

REALLY? They are about 1200-2000 dollars here! (in Ochanomizu) I dont know where you live but that ain't cheap!

Anyone want to give me some info on the BUNRY guitars? Ive seen alot of them.. are they made by a bigger company? Are they worth anything? They are really cheap, so if you can tell me a little about them, Id love to know...

• Members

Burny is part of Fernandes...they did make some very good guitars at one time, then production was outsourced and they make mostly entry level guitars...but not all. The higher the model number the higher the price with the top end stuff being MIJ. If you`re seeing a lot...play em and tell us what you think.

• Members

YOU ALL SHUT UP NOW!!!

I'm trying to save.. And all I can do is browse flight sites... Sigh.. Wanna go to Tokyo now..

See Ueno and all the motorbike shops, see all the guitar shops.. Eat Chashu Ramen....

STOP TEMPTING ME YOU BASTARDS!!!

:D:mad:

Archived