CS Strat going out of tune?

jmingo

• Members

I bought a CS 1960 strat, and it seems to be going out of tune fairly easily... mostly when using the whammy bar.

I got it Friday, it had new strings, which i stretched out a lot. I'm on the east coast, it came from the west coast. Does it need a little while to get use to the different humity? (completely different out here)

Does it need to be setup even though it plays great, beside the tuning thing. Is it just like that? What can I do? Anyone else have a CS 60 Strat, that goes out? Or stays in? I figure it would considering they pay a lot of attention to details supposably.

thanks

• Members

Originally posted by jmingo

like run a pencil lead in between the slots??

that really works?

it will if the nut is the reason for tuning problems and instability while bending hard or using the trem.

if you find it is the nut maybe you could get it replaced rather than filed down with something made for trem use, there are nuts made out of material thats so slippery that you wont even need to lube them up (oil, graphite, nut-sauce, etc - you wont need these)

• Members

I bought a CS 1960 strat, and it seems to be going out of tune fairly easily... mostly when using the whammy bar.

I got it Friday, it had new strings, which i stretched out a lot. I'm on the east coast, it came from the west coast. Does it need a little while to get use to the different humity? (completely different out here)

Does it need to be setup even though it plays great, beside the tuning thing. Is it just like that? What can I do? Anyone else have a CS 60 Strat, that goes out? Or stays in? I figure it would considering they pay a lot of attention to details supposably.

thanks

It is normal for a strat to go out of tune with alot of trem use. They are known for it. In most cases you CAN tweak up a stock strat to stay in tune with light trem work. Locking tunners are a big help for anything more than "light". If you are hearing some "ping" noises when you tune up some strings then it's the nut. The graphite suggested will help. I have also used chapstick with good results. A lot of heavy trem users like Jeff Beck for example use a Roller nut with locking tunners on their strats.

• Members

Originally posted by Burningleaves

It is normal for a strat to go out of tune with alot of trem use. They are known for it. In most cases you CAN tweak up a stock strat to stay in tune with light trem work. Locking tunners are a big help for anything more than "light". If you are hearing some "ping" noises when you tune up some strings then it's the nut. The graphite suggested will help. I have also used chapstick with good results. A lot of heavy trem users like Jeff Beck for example use a Roller nut with locking tunners on their strats.

He also uses the 2-point trem, which is generally more stable than the normal vintage strat trem...

• Members

Originally posted by Hunter6

He also uses the 2-point trem, which is generally more stable than the normal vintage strat trem...

i had a 2 point trem that was real good at staying in tune with heavy trem use. i'm not talking dive bombs, but i mean just rocking back and forth really hard.

so, what did srv and hendrix do?? they used the trem sometimes really heavy, right?

i hear what your saying about the locking tuners, but its a 1960 CS Strat, i'd rather not modify it a whole lot.

would a setup, or extra springs, or bone nut help?

also, why doesn't my jazzmaster go out of tune when i use the trem very heavy? its kinda same vintage style stuff.

thanks for your responses so far.

• Members

i had a 2 point trem that was real good at staying in tune with heavy trem use. i'm not talking dive bombs, but i mean just rocking back and forth really hard.

so, what did srv and hendrix do?? they used the trem sometimes really heavy, right?

i hear what your saying about the locking tuners, but its a 1960 CS Strat, i'd rather not modify it a whole lot.

would a setup, or extra springs, or bone nut help?

also, why doesn't my jazzmaster go out of tune when i use the trem very heavy? its kinda same vintage style stuff.

thanks for your responses so far.

if you want stability while trem-ing you need to make sure everything is smooth

lube the contact points where the trem pivots on during use (dip the trem down and let the lube/oil fall), lube the string saddles, nutslots, and under the string trees.

you can use alot of things for lube, my favorite is light machine oil.

also you can get a nut made for trem use - usually most all returning to pitch problems or out of tune after use problems are nut-related.

the graph-tec trem nut is such a smooth material you dont have to lube it with anything - dry its smoother than any stock/plastic/bone/brass nuts ive used even while lubing those with graphite/lube! this is what its made for and it really feels 500% more slippery than graphite (like the company claims)

also theres the earvana nut which is made out of a very similar material - also claims to be much more slippery than graphite and i also feel this is true. you get the stability for trem use and the benifit of a compensated nut so all your chords everywhere are in tune! with strats you usually have to avoid certain notes/intervals when chording - or even certain chords altogther but with this earvava thats no longer an issue!

• Members

thanks a lot fishfartz (funny name), all that info helps a lot.

i'm going to take it to a tech tomorrow night, hopefully he'll have some experience and we can do one of your sugguestions.

thanks

Originally posted by fishfartz

if you want stability while trem-ing you need to make sure everything is smooth

lube the contact points where the trem pivots on during use (dip the trem down and let the lube/oil fall), lube the string saddles, nutslots, and under the string trees.

you can use alot of things for lube, my favorite is light machine oil.

also you can get a nut made for trem use - usually most all returning to pitch problems or out of tune after use problems are nut-related.

the graph-tec trem nut is such a smooth material you dont have to lube it with anything - dry its smoother than any stock/plastic/bone/brass nuts ive used even while lubing those with graphite/lube! this is what its made for and it really feels 500% more slippery than graphite (like the company claims)

also theres the earvana nut which is made out of a very similar material - also claims to be much more slippery than graphite and i also feel this is true. you get the stability for trem use and the benifit of a compensated nut so all your chords everywhere are in tune! with strats you usually have to avoid certain notes/intervals when chording - or even certain chords altogther but with this earvava thats no longer an issue!

• Members

If you still have the crappy Fender Bullet strings on the guitar, remove them immediately. They suck and could be the problem.

Fishfartz pretty much covered the rest: lube every contact point - the nut slots, bridge saddles, stringtrees, etc. Some use light machine oil and/or pencil lead; I prefer the Big Bends Nut Sauce or Tri-Flow. I've also used clear Chapstick on the stringtrees/saddles. Of all of these, I prefer the Nut Sauce but you have to order it online.

BTW, I'm a very heavy trem user. I don't divebomb with it but I do give it a good workout. Right now 2 of my Strats have trems, 1 of my Variax's has a trem, and my Gretsch has a Bigsby. I use them all quite heavily and don't have tuning issues on any one of them. I've got stock tuners on them all.

~Blackbelt

• Members

Originally posted by Blackbelt1

If you still have the crappy Fender Bullet strings on the guitar, remove them immediately. They suck and could be the problem.

Fishfartz pretty much covered the rest: lube every contact point - the nut slots, bridge saddles, stringtrees, etc. Some use light machine oil and/or pencil lead; I prefer the Big Bends Nut Sauce or Tri-Flow. I've also used clear Chapstick on the stringtrees/saddles. Of all of these, I prefer the Nut Sauce but you have to order it online.

BTW, I'm a very heavy trem user. I don't divebomb with it but I do give it a good workout. Right now 2 of my Strats have trems, 1 of my Variax's has a trem, and my Gretsch has a Bigsby. I use them all quite heavily and don't have tuning issues on any one of them. I've got stock tuners on them all.

~Blackbelt

thanks for all that info. doesn't appear to be the crappy fender strings.

that's really good to hear about your strats staying in tune with you being a heavy trem user. so what tuners are on your strats (mine are vintage style), and also how often do you lube up things?

so do you use a toothpick to do the slots of the nut??

• Members

The Big Bends Nut Sauce comes in a syringe with an applicator tip to get into tiny crevaces. You would have to deliberately mean to make a mess to miss the mark (quite a tongue twister :p ).

I just lube 'em at each string change.

~Blackbelt

• Members

I don't know about SRV, but Hendrix used a really old technique called 'retuning'.

You'll notice that on his live recordings, he simply plays the song out of tune after heavy trem use. Sometimes he bends the strings up to pitch, but it was as much of a problem for him as it is for you.

:(

• Members

See what the tech has to say... Had a like wise problem on a guitar but I found by adding another spring and closing the gap a little at the bridge, recommended 1/8" but I have mine set a little tighter at about a 1/16" . Also if it's a vintage style check the screws that attach it to the body, the bridge has to float. Seeing that it's a CS model you would think that would be taken care of but one must not assume......

• Members

all good to know.

i noticed that when i use the whammy bar there's lots of pinging going on up around the nut...unlike my jazzmaster (which stays in tune very well) which doesn't make a sound.

• Members

definitely the nut. You could have a tech file it, get a new one, or lube it well. I take a mechanical pencil and rub the side until it looks like a needle and draw on the nut. It will look black and nasty, but once the string is there you cant see it and it works. It will come off easily so you just reapply at every string change.

• Members

Can't see it mention on a quick skim of the thread, so please excuse any repetition.... but I believe from memory that Jimi had his Strats set up with the bridge flat to the body - means you can only lower the pitch with the whammy (though you can of course bend up with the fretting fingers....) - that helps a lot wuth tuning stability in a vintage style sTrat.

• Members

Originally posted by Edward

Can't see it mention on a quick skim of the thread, so please excuse any repetition.... but I believe from memory that Jimi had his Strats set up with the bridge flat to the body - means you can only lower the pitch with the whammy (though you can of course bend up with the fretting fingers....) - that helps a lot wuth tuning stability in a vintage style sTrat.

thanks. yeah, maybe i'll get the other 2 springs that came with it installed!?

• Members

thanks. yeah, maybe i'll get the other 2 springs that came with it installed!?

I like mine full floating and my Strats stay in tune fine...but then again, I'm no Jimi. :cool:

Pinging at the nut? I think you're on to something. :idea:

~Blackbelt

Archived