Who do you buy from survey

cincy_cosmo

• Members

Originally posted by warriorpoet

Local shop has things cheaper, better customer service, better warranty, and lets me try in the shop with no money down. Plus, they're pretty cool guys.

Why buy online?

It would have been interesting to add options in the poll for brick and mortar stores, but there is a 10 item limit. I also would have wanted to add Rondo Music, but there was just enough room for the bigger dealers.

• Members

I've bought a guitar and a bass from Musician's Friend, and a guitar from Ebay.

All of my other guitars have been local aquisitions.

I do keep Musician's Friend and American Musical Supply in business with strings, accessories, and recording gear though. :o

• Members

Originally posted by warriorpoet

Local shop has things cheaper, better customer service, better warranty, and lets me try in the shop with no money down. Plus, they're pretty cool guys.

Why buy online?

:love: Where do you live? There's isn't a single shop that meets more than one of those requirements in my area in the US. One store I know actually charges *retail* prices for things (you know, those crazy high prices that manufacturers recommend but no one ever actually pays).

We just got a Guitar Center a couple years ago, and it was a godsend compared to all we had before that.

Anyway, brick and mortar stores are still the way to go for instruments, even though in my case it means putting up with more crap up front, at least I *know* what I'm getting and how it feels.

As far as electronics (pedals, etc), zzounds, MF, 8thstreet, and music123 have all been decent enough to me. I avoid sweetwater now as much as I can because they pissed me off a while back.

• Members

Let's just say I give the local shops first try.

We have 3 Local shops within about 20 miles and 1 that is part of a chain.

One of the locals shops doesn't budge on price. What you see is what you get. They have a great selection and carry mostly Fender and Ibanez.

The other 3 will pretty much bargain with you to get you money instead of ordering online. IF they are within $50 including tax then I give them my business.

I have two issues with most of the stores here.

A. their selection and willingness to get specific models to tryuy. B. their not so speedy response when ordering just about anything.

When you make a parts order and it takes six weeks to get it, That's crap.

I can order the same parts online and have them in under a week.

Brick and Mortar stores need to step it up on issues like these to keep my business.

The one shop that I try to give alot of business is a Gibson, Custom Shop Fender, Ernie Ball and Schecter dealer.

They are by far the coolest to deal with and talk to. The problem is they are a high end store and it's not every month that I go shell out $2400 for a new LP.

I have bought most of my stuff locally but the past few years I buy increasingly more online.

So far

MF- 4 guitars 1- Mandolin

AMS- 1 guitar

Music123- 1 guitar and an assload of parts and strings

Guitartrader- 1 guitar

As long as I can return it within 45 days and for me no tax. It is hard to beat online.

• Members

I see you added "online" in your post which is different from your title. So I jumped in here to give my answer only to find I no longer apply, so your getting it anyway :D

I buy 90% of my crap from local stores, unless it is some weird part or special pickguards or something similar.

• Members
Originally posted by cincy_cosmo

It would have been interesting to add options in the poll for brick and mortar stores, but there is a 10 item limit. I also would have wanted to add Rondo Music, but there was just enough room for the bigger dealers.

. Dude , on this forum Rondo would win hands down. wow, people buy {censored} online from Ed Deuschbag ? give me their names, I have all kinds of busted up {censored} around my yard I can sell them.

Archived