show your customized strats....

mysterybat35

• Members

Hey,

I was wondering if anyone would like to show pics of their custom strat. I'm trying to get some good ideas on spicing up my Blackout Fender strat. Anyone have gold pickup covers on their single coils? I'm thinking bout putting some on mine but I need to know how it looks first.

If any of you guys have lipsticks or lace sensors on them. feel free to show those off too!!!!

MB35

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Back in 88 or 89 I bought this heavily road rashed USA made Strat off this idiot who I think pulled a " The Who " on it .

The neck was cracked and the body looked like it was dragged from a car . The hardware was in great shape except for a few small nicks on the tuners . I gave him 100.00 for it . Probably should have given him 50. but heh I was only 17 at the time and was just starting to have GAS for gear .

Ended up putting it in my closet and never looked at it . Well got divorced a few years ago . So this thing was found again . So I brought it down to my Dad's woodshop in his basement to see what he could do . He sanded the body down to the wood got out all the bad rash and dings except for a real bad gouge right above the the neck pickup . That's why it's a little concave there looks like the shape of half a hand sander doesn't it . I told him to sand it till it was gone . I thought that that spot would look stupid but now I think it makes it look unique .

So he asked me if I wanted to paint it . I said sure.. would it come out OK ???he said " I guess So " So I picked out a metalic black color and he went to town and even clear coated it .

Ordered a compound radius neck from Warmoth ripped out what was left of the electronics . Replaced it with all Emg's .. routed out the bridge spot for the 81 . Then we made a homemade pickguard out of Lexan . I figured out if you glued black paper to the back you got a cool deep black mirror look . Also ordered some of those graphite bridge saddles .

Well I threw this sucker together ........... and I'm absolutley amazed by how it sounds and plays ... totally happy with the result . Like butter !!!

Many thanks to my Dad .... Geeesh if I knew he could do this I would of had him making guitars for me instead of me buying them . Even the paint job came out mint .

Thanks Dad !!!!!!!!!

• Members
Originally posted by GRIFF10672

Back in 88 or 89 I bought this heavily road rashed USA made Strat off this idiot who I think pulled a " The Who " on it .

The neck was cracked and the body looked like it was dragged from a car . The hardware was in great shape except for a few small nicks on the tuners . I gave him 100.00 for it . Probably should have given him 50. but heh I was only 17 at the time and was just starting to have GAS for gear .

Ended up putting it in my closet and never looked at it . Well got divorced a few years ago . So this thing was found again . So I brought it down to my Dad's woodshop in his basement to see what he could do . He sanded the body down to the wood got out all the bad rash and dings except for a real bad gouge right above the the neck pickup . That's why it's a little concave there looks like the shape of half a hand sander doesn't it . I told him to sand it till it was gone . I thought that that spot would look stupid but now I think it makes it look unique .

So he asked me if I wanted to paint it . I said sure.. would it come out OK ???he said " I guess So " So I picked out a metalic black color and he went to town and even clear coated it .

Ordered a compound radius neck from Warmoth ripped out what was left of the electronics . Replaced it with all Emg's .. routed out the bridge spot for the 81 . Then we made a homemade pickguard out of Lexan . I figured out if you glued black paper to the back you got a cool deep black mirror look . Also ordered some of those graphite bridge saddles .

Well I threw this sucker together ........... and I'm absolutley amazed by how it sounds and plays ... totally happy with the result . Like butter !!!

Many thanks to my Dad .... Geeesh if I knew he could do this I would of had him making guitars for me instead of me buying them . Even the paint job came out mint .

Thanks Dad !!!!!!!!!

• Members

Originally posted by Burgess

mim_strat.jpg
TexMex pickups

25dB Midboost

Blocked Trem

MIA style Tele Solid saddles

MIA style string trees

TBX Tone mastered to all 3 pups

Dual Concentric pots for boost

power cut output jack

...I think that's about it.

that's sweet ............. looks like it's on fire :thu:

• Members

Originally posted by GRIFF10672

Thanks Dad !!!!!!!!!

Great story dude!! DON't you ever dare get rid of that guitar or i will come over and kick your nut sack out your ass!

I agree that scoop gives it personality too.

• Members

Not quite a strat, this started life as a Yamaha Pacifica 112. Now has a Gibson Blues 90 pickup in the neck and a Gibson P90 in the bridge. Gibby knobs and LP style 3 way switch. Pickguard crappily hand made by me. Neck made by a local luthier from scratch and the body also repainted in a transparent white (sortof Mary Kaye).

So its almost a strat. Almost......:cool:

• Members

This one started out as an 85 mij "rock strat" and looked like this:

1171724img6yl.jpg

Then I did this to it:

1171739img9xp.jpg

And today I changed it to this:

1171763img3cc.jpg

Me like this latest version a lot :love:

I alresdy have a great strat(another story) and the tele neck pup sounded too much like that...so...

Another pic:D

1171764img7sk.jpg

24.75" scale, too:cool:

Archived