show your customized strats....

mysterybat35

• Members
Originally posted by CreamTele

yeah i wired my tele pickups in series.
:D
but to take the time to figure out the circuit to do all that switching seems like too much work to me...

a little use and you're there...and in no time you're able to lay schematics that would give cold sweats to an electronics graduate ! (true...) :D

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

My JV strat's a sunburst that came with vintage white plastics. I was never a fan of that combination, so I changed the plastic parts to black, and the pickguard to black pearloid.

20051006_1.jpg

I later added a SD Lil' 59 to the bridge.

I've never been 100% with this combination, though. For 2006, I think I'm changing the pickguard to that copper-colored pearloid.

Behind me, Bill's yellow strat isn't customized...it's a 1983 American Standard Strat that came from the factory with 1 vol, 1 tone, and a straight-in jack on the plate. Apparently, they changed it that year to savemoney, but dropped the idea soon after.

• Members
Originally posted by Burgess

Thanks again!

Yeah, it's a nice little amp and is pretty easy to lug around as it fits in the trunk nicely along with my guitars and accessory bag.

Those amps have a rep for being buzzy as for distortion and yes if you dime the gain it can be a bit much. I tend to do things in moderation so that's the OD1 channel with just enough gain to give me some breakup with the guitar wide open but low enough so it cleans up nice. Like I said, no pedals in my rig and all the dist you heard was just from me cranking up the axe. If memory serves, I think did crank in the midboost for the last part of the solo...

Great sound and great playing on the Strat; nice work on the vocals as well. Have a pint on me.:thu:

• Members

Originally posted by GRIFF10672

Back in 88 or 89 I bought this heavily road rashed USA made Strat off this idiot who I think pulled a " The Who " on it .

The neck was cracked and the body looked like it was dragged from a car . The hardware was in great shape except for a few small nicks on the tuners . I gave him 100.00 for it . Probably should have given him 50. but heh I was only 17 at the time and was just starting to have GAS for gear .

Ended up putting it in my closet and never looked at it . Well got divorced a few years ago . So this thing was found again . So I brought it down to my Dad's woodshop in his basement to see what he could do . He sanded the body down to the wood got out all the bad rash and dings except for a real bad gouge right above the the neck pickup . That's why it's a little concave there looks like the shape of half a hand sander doesn't it . I told him to sand it till it was gone . I thought that that spot would look stupid but now I think it makes it look unique .

So he asked me if I wanted to paint it . I said sure.. would it come out OK ???he said " I guess So " So I picked out a metalic black color and he went to town and even clear coated it .

Ordered a compound radius neck from Warmoth ripped out what was left of the electronics . Replaced it with all Emg's .. routed out the bridge spot for the 81 . Then we made a homemade pickguard out of Lexan . I figured out if you glued black paper to the back you got a cool deep black mirror look . Also ordered some of those graphite bridge saddles .

Well I threw this sucker together ........... and I'm absolutley amazed by how it sounds and plays ... totally happy with the result . Like butter !!!

Many thanks to my Dad .... Geeesh if I knew he could do this I would of had him making guitars for me instead of me buying them . Even the paint job came out mint .

Thanks Dad !!!!!!!!!

Man, that RULES. Big thumbs up to you and your Dad. This pic goes in my screen saver.

• Members
Originally posted by prodrigu

DCP_0438.jpg

I LOOOOVE that Warmoth Tele. I am planning on building on for myself very simillar. Which pickups did you use ? And how does the neck pickup sound, and what is it best for ?

Good job !!!

Thanks! I love the guitar. It has changed me from an exclusive Strat man to a Strat/Tele man. I've been using mainly the Tele on stage. People really dig it & it is easily the easiest guitar i have to play. Now only if it had the fat gut route on the back I'd be a bit more comfortable with it on stage ;)

I have a SD Little 59 in the bridge. Warms up the twang quite a bit. Nicely balanced. Takes cleans and gain very well. Neck Pickup is a SD Vintage stacked, Sounds like a very warm single coil somehow, yet has no hum. Probabaly the best pickup I have ever owned... and thats saying a lot because I love my JB/JB Jr's on my Strats. The guitar sounds more like a Les paul with p-90's than a Tele... Which is a good thing. Graphtech nut, saddles & string trees like all my guitars.

I am currently building another bastard tele with a P-90 in the neck and maybe another vintage stacked for the bridge. This Tele won't be the looker, but it will have the Tele sound. After that.. i'm done with guitars for a while I think. I have a hard enough time choosing what guitar I wanna play now as it is. I love em all

:cry:

• Members

What's ironic is that "showing" a customized Strat might not actually reveal anything thats new, modded, or updated. For the most part, changes in tuners, pickups, refrets, new nut, and electronics are pretty damn subtle visually, but can make huge differences in how the guitar plays and sounds.

• Members

SX SST-57.
Changed the pickguard (Fender red pearloid), copper shielded the cavity, installed a Stew Mac blade switch, CTS volume pot, push/pull master tone pot (series mod), and Fender No Load blend switch. Also a switchcraft jack.

Stock pickups, tuners, nut, saddles, and strap buttons.

One of the tuners is too soft to turn.
The trem arm had to be drillet out.
Also managed to chip off a piece of finish at the neck pocket.

Cimg0477.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v287/DracoAran/SX_SST57/Cimg0478.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v287/DracoAran/SX_SST57/Cimg0480.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v287/DracoAran/SX_SST57/Cimg0482.jpg

• Members

This started life as a Delonge strat,

I've added Sperzel tuners, Schaller straplocks, A duncan JB and Jazz with a 5 way switch.

Combos are :

Jazz full
Jazz outside coil
Jazz outside coil + JB Outside Coil
JB outside Coil
JB full

It covers everything and is by far my number one. that middle position on the switch is a really really cool and unique sound, I've yet to hear another like it. Very clean but really full at the same time, i ride that position pretty much all the time if i'm not doing full neck humbucker leads or Bridge bucker power chords.

The only difference from the picture is i've replaced the switch tip with a black one, shown in my sig. Its BY FAR my best guitar

MiRuca.jpg

• 7 months later...
  • Members

It's not a Fender or proper strat - but here is a redone Dean Bel Aire of mine

How it arrived
belairefront.JPG
belaireheadstock.JPG

new LSR Roller Nut
100_0633.jpg

Wilkenson trem, Dimarzio X2N and 2 Dimarzio Protracks, new pots, switch, jack, knobs and polished frets. (and horrible paint by me)
BelAirePainted1.jpg
BelAirePainted.jpg

Archived