Chuck Berry and Keith Richards argue old video clip

aerorockjax

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by Milkman1

Interesting. There WERE alegations of "peep show" cameras in the ladies washrooms of his club as well.

Anyway, I'd hesitate to call what he was convicted of "pedophilia". Certainly no worse than Jerry Lee Lewis anyway.

Thanks for the link.

read his biography - the dude's a PERVE :D

• Members

Originally posted by ChitownTerror

There's a great story about Chuck Berry pulling a knife on Jerry Lee Lewis. Tough dude.

He once popped Keef in the face for daring to say hello.

There is no chin behind Chuck Berry's beard. There is only another fist.

• Members

I played one of those "pick-up" gigs with Chuck back in the early 80's. My bass player at the time got us hooked up and I went along to play drums.

It was really strange.

Chuck took his guitar out of the case (without tuning ) and started playing his songs. The bass player was trying to tune his bass to Chuck in mid-song. I didn't have too much problem, but I had to really listen because I had no idea what song he would launch into, or when to stop because he would do abbreviated versions.

He really went off on the sound man!

But the weirdest part was he brought 7 or 8 young girls in the van with him, and they sat on stage behind me in metal chairs while we played. Totally expressionless.

Kinda creeped me out.

The bass player and i went directly to a bar and drank heavily after that.

• Members

Originally posted by SmooveT

I played one of those "pick-up" gigs with Chuck back in the early 80's. My bass player at the time got us hooked up and I went along to play drums.

It was really strange.

Chuck took his guitar out of the case (without tuning ) and started playing his songs. The bass player was trying to tune his bass to Chuck in mid-song. I didn't have too much problem, but I had to really listen because I had no idea what song he would launch into, or when to stop because he would do abbreviated versions.

He really went off on the sound man!

But the weirdest part was he brought 7 or 8 young girls in the van with him, and they sat on stage behind me in metal chairs while we played. Totally expressionless.

Kinda creeped me out.

The bass player and i went directly to a bar and drank heavily after that.

One of the owners of my favorite guitar shop here in Chicago has a very similar story. Dude also would never wash his clothes, apparently.

• Members

Those two should sign a mutual non-aggression pact and just stay the f*ck out of each other's way.

Chuck Berry is an arbitrary, argumentative old cuss who had a genius-level idea in the mid-1950's and never grew beyond it.

Keef, on the other hand, falls out of coconut trees and appears in the EVH photoshop thread. :freak:

• Members

Originally posted by jerry_picker

Those two should sign a mutual non-aggression pact and just stay the f*ck out of each other's way.

Chuck Berry is an arbitrary, argumentative old cuss who had a genius-level idea in the mid-1950's and never grew beyond it.

Keef, on the other hand, falls out of coconut trees and appears in the EVH photoshop thread.
:freak:

As much as I love Chuck, I do think he stopped growing. What he coulda been!

• Members

Chuck Berry did some monumental work back in the 1950's, so you got to give him props for that. But I met him back in the 1970's and the dude was a creep.

Berry has never had any respect for his audience. Compare him to another historic ground-breaker like James Brown who has been known to be kind of nutty but will always hire a big expensive band and put on a hell of a show and you'll see what I mean.

• Members

Originally posted by kkyle

That was painful to watch. Why did Richards even bother? Maybe they should have done some Stones and let him instruct Berry.
:cool:

I believe that Richards bothered to take all that crap from Chuck Berry because he felt a great musical debt to him. Back in the early sixties Keith was known as the "Chuck Berry expert" on the British music scene. And it's still obvious that so much of his phrasing comes from Chuck, even though he eventually surpassed Berry as a songwriter. Just listen to the lead break in the song "Gimme Shelter" Berry could have played it, though he never could have written it.

So when Keith saw Berry sliding into obsurity back in the 80's he decided to put a good band together for Berry so he could pay tribute to his master, even if that meant he'd have to go through hell to do it.

If you see the movie "Hail Hail Rock n' Roll" you know that the debt is paid.

• Members

Originally posted by thirdstone

If it wasn't for Keith Richards, many people wouldn't know Chuck Berry.

Maybe the other way around.

Chuck Berry was a huge star in the 50's.

His licks and technique have been copied by loads of guitarists.

• Members

Originally posted by arcadiandj

I think Keith said it best when he said, " Da frillen bah en duh rahun been man!"

Actually it was "de fritzen bar men di ravuht slappy".

It's important to quote people accurately.

:rolleyes:

• Members

Originally posted by plushpinkypull

how come theres like 10 chuck berry songs that sound almost exactly the same? kind of reminds me of nickelback... both recycle their songs.

Well the formula seems to work wonders for ACDC :p

• Members

Originally posted by Zen

Well the formula seems to work wonders for ACDC
:p

i dont know why people keep saying that about acdc...their songs are similar yes but they're still different

chuck berry on the other hand has at least three songs that have the same identical riff with the exception that its played lower or higher on the fretboard

• Members

Originally posted by orourke

I believe that Richards bothered to take all that crap from Chuck Berry because he felt a great musical debt to him. Back in the early sixties Keith was known as the "Chuck Berry expert" on the British music scene. And it's still obvious that so much of his phrasing comes from Chuck, even though he eventually surpassed Berry as a songwriter. Just listen to the lead break in the song "Gimme Shelter" Berry could have played it, though he never could have written it.

So when Keith saw Berry sliding into obsurity back in the 80's he decided to put a good band together for Berry so he could pay tribute to his master, even if that meant he'd have to go through hell to do it.

If you see the movie "Hail Hail Rock n' Roll" you know that the debt is paid.

:thu:

Excellent recap!

As I recall, that's pretty much what happened.

KR was doing Chuck a favor and honoring him at the same time, and Chuck basically came off as a nasty ungrateful bastard, who, years later proclaimed his hatred for Keith Richards.

Keef has given his propers and then some, IMHO.

Chuck is all for Chuck.

• Members

I love Chuck Berry, but I'd also rather listen to 60s/70s era Stones. I agree with whoever it was said a bit ago that Chuck has no respect for his audiences - his "driving gig to gig with just his guitar" schtick may have a bit of appeal in theory, but there's just no way to do it right by showing up 5 minutes before the gig, saying "hi" to your band, then starting without even tuning up. He could at least have a soundcheck a run through some things with the band...you know, like a {censored}ing professional.

And yes, CB has many similar-sounding songs, but remember that early R&R was very fomulaic. It doesn't diminish the fact that he was a great songwriter, and his guitar style and lyrics were equally influential.

What ultimately disappoints me about CB is that his playing is so sloppy - I'm mainly referring to the movie, as that's my only exposure to live CB. You'd think after a few decades he'd have the "Chuck Berry style" down pat, but he just sort of goes thru the motions, hits a bunch of clunker notes, is out of tune and sloppy.

When Keef plays, it's like what I want Chuck to sound like, if that makes sense. It seems like Keef takes a bunch of the solos to just save the event from being something of a disaster.

• Members

Originally posted by santos

... there's just no way to do it right by showing up 5 minutes before the gig, saying "hi" to your band, then starting without even tuning up. He could at least have a soundcheck a run through some things with the band...

Who ever said that he even says "Hi!" to the band?

:confused:

Archived