Peavey Classic 30 vs Classic 50

animl

• Members

Originally posted by Gex

Classic 50.

Meaty 6L6s.

I had a Classic 30, it was my first amp. Kinda cool, but I dont like EL84's at all, so I sold it.

Plus, I need more of a Marshally type amp, so I got a Laney.

I thought the 50's had EL-84's as well???

• Members

Originally posted by redeyejedi75

I thought the 50's had EL-84's as well???

They do.

I've also got both. A Classic 50 212 and a Classic 30. They both sound great. I'd say the 50 is a little more versatile due to the active presence control. The 30 has the mid boost button, but I find it unbearable to use. It makes the amp VERY honkey. I prefer to get my boost using an EQ pedal in the loop. Plus, the boost on the 30 isn't footswitchable, so it's pretty much useless as a lead boost.

As for the tone, both sound great. I think the 50 has a touch more gain, and maybe a little more depth...but that's probably due to the fact that it's got more speaker surface than the 30. The 30 plugged into an extension cabinet moves a bunch of air and sounds great, but so does the 50.

Both amps are more than loud enough to gig with, even without an extension cabinet.

So, for me, seeing as how the tone is so similar between the two, it comes down to a couple of things.

#1: Weight: The 30 wins this hands-down. I can throw my gig bag (which is a duffle bag with my pedal board, tuner, cables, strings, picks, etc.) over my shoulder, carry a guitar in one hand and the amp in the other and only have to make one trip for my whole guitar rig. Of course, I always take a backup guitar, a couple of mic stands, and an amp stand to gigs, so I have to make another trip anyway, but for practices, one trip gets me done. The 50 weighs twice as much as the 30, so I usually carry it by itself with both hands.

#2: Image: If I'm playing an outdoor show with one of my bands, the other guitarist is a gear whore, so he usually has 2 half-stacks A-B'd for his cleans and distortions. When that's the case, I'll take my 50 and set it on top of a 412 cabinet...more for the look than anything else.

Both use 4 el84 power tubes and 3 12AX7 preamp tubes, so the cost of retubing is the same. I'd assume that the 30 might go through tubes a little faster if you play both amps at the same volume. The 50 does have a standby switch and a cooling fan, so the tubes should stay a little cooler.

The tubes in the 50 are well protected. They are actually enclosed in the chassis. The 30's tubes just stick right out in the open, so more care is needed. Also, tube rattle can be a problem with the 30. Both the succeptibily of the tubes and the rattle problem can be easily fixed with a Tube Tamer and a tube guard. But those problems don't exist on the 50.

Again, for me, 9 times out of 10 I use the 30 for recording. I use the 50 almost exclusively with one of my bands that practices every week because I can just leave it at the practice space and not have to lug an amp back and forth.

• Members

A few other things to be aware of when shopping used.

The very first incarnation of the Peavey Classic was a 212 black tolex amp with a solid state preamp and 2 6l6 power tubes. Don't know much about those and don't know how they sound.

The first few years of the all tube Classic 50, they didn't have an FX loop, so if it's an older amp, you probably want to make sure it has the FX loop.

I think the only changes that have ever been made to the Classic 30 are to the speaker and the cabinet, but I am not positive.

• Members

I have the c50 with 4 10's. I love this amp. Love. Real love.

The other option is a Delta Blues, which is a c30 with a 15" speaker and tremelo (or is it vibrato). Awesome amp. Probably better than the c50.

I do know one thing, my c50 is LOUD. I mean large club loud. And coupled with my T-60, it cuts right through. I played once with this band and the lead guitarist kept telling me to turn down my amp. Then he'd turn is up and we'd play something and all you heard was me. Best mids available. And in a live situation, the guitar lives in the midrange.

• Members

I have a c30 with a weber speaker and love the thing. Perfect size for rehearsals and small clubs and it packs a punch. I add a 2x12 cab to it for larger venues or outside and it makes for a tidy but thumping little stack. And you've got to love the price. I got this rig used for ~$600 all in:

Rockspace6.jpg

• Members

personally i can HEAR a huge difference between the 2, and for my ears the c50 212 always wins out over a c30112.

that being said ive never had the chance to hear a c30 w. an ext cab.

BUT a c50 410 is the best as far as i'm concerned (its a particular sound)

that being said if you go with either i would suggest you invest an additiojnal $30 and get an eq pedal (i spent $7 on a dano fish and chips and it did WONDERS) but thats just me.

i also like the sound of a BBE in thr loop as well.

but that my 2 cts.

personally if YOU cant tell the difference between the c30 and the c50 get a crate SS amp and be done w/ it

• Members

Originally posted by mindwave

personally if YOU cant tell the difference between the c30 and the c50 get a crate SS amp and be done w/ it

Okay, listen to these clips and tell me which is the Classic 30 and which is the Classic 50.

Can't Help Myself

If This Ain't Love

Jenny (867-5309)

Thrown It All Away

Tired Wings

Heaven Tonight

• 14 years later...

Archived