Peavey Classic 30 vs Classic 50

animl

• Members

For a basement wanker is there any practical difference? I don't need to transport it and I don't need window shattering volume.

Sure, I guess the 50 might be overkill, but if I can get either for around the same price what are the pros & cons as far as toneal variations, maintenance, tube replacement frequency & cost, etc?

This will be my first tube amp. :D

Thanks

• Members

Price aside, you should go with whatever you prefer. Both are great amps, the C50 is going to be louder and heavier, should you find the need to transport it. Both sound mah-vel-ous with just about any guitar you plug into it. I got my C30 off Ebay for about $225. Its my favorite amp and I have had quite a few over the past 21 years.

jv-c30-004.jpg

• Members

Maintenance will be the same. The C50 has an additional bright input along with a presence control. They both will be way louder than what you need in your house so if weight wasn't an issue and you could get them for the same price, I'd go with the C50 just for the extra features and resale value. I'd be amazed if you can get a used C50 for $250 though.

• Members

Originally posted by guitaristbum

The classic 50 has el34's

classic 30 has el34's

pretty much the same...

classic 50 is gonna sound bigger, unless you get a 1x12 or 2x12 to run the classic 30 into.

I don't mean to be nit-picky but they both use EL84s (like Vox).

Classic 50 has a standby switch and a presence control. It runs a little hotter and has a cooling fan (which hasn't given me a problem recording yet). The bright input, IMHO, is not terribly useful but some will probably disagree.

The Classic 30 has a mid boost switch.

The Classic 50's RMS output, from what I've read, is not truly 50 watts. It's more like 38. 30 watts is more than enough for me so I don't sweat it. I went with the 50 mostly for the presence control, the standby switch, and the sound of 4 10" speakers.

• Members

Originally posted by powerplayj

I'd be amazed if you can get a used C50 for $250 though.

I've seen them both on eBay. The 30s for $300, plus or minus and the 50s for $350 or a little more.

• Members

Originally posted by animl

I've seen them both on eBay. The 30s for $300, plus or minus and the 50s for $350 or a little more.

The C30's go for around $200-300 on craigslist.com and I see at least one for sale a week in my area. Don't know about prices in NY but it may be another option to keep open. Plus, no shipping and the opportnuty to play one in person is appealing as well.

• Members

I don't think this thread is completely cookin until I confuse the matter a bit more by asking:

What about the Peavey Delta Blues?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Peavey-Delta-Blues-all-Tube-combo-Guitar-Amp_W0QQitemZ300009305160QQihZ020QQcategoryZ38076QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I think that one might be my choice.

I did buy a C30 for a former gf and it was a nice, but not stellar, amp. But good enough to where I wish I still had it instead of her. ;)

• Members

I have a classic 50 212. It has EL84's. This is significant, IMO, because some people (I am one) have a partiocular liking for the sound of EL84's. (The Fender Blues Junior uses them, for example.)

The standby switch is important. Having 2 12 inch speakers or 4 10 inchers is important, IMO. The bigger speakers move a lot more air -- they sound fuller and better at low volumes, ironically, compared to the output of smaller speakers.

The weight is a wash -- it's a lot heavier, but it means you can gig it more easily. You may not care about this right now, but one never knows. It also improves resale, I believe.

• Members

Originally posted by guitarNed

I have a classic 50 212. It has EL84's. This is significant, IMO, because some people (I am one) have a partiocular liking for the sound of EL84's. (The Fender Blues Junior uses them, for example.)

The standby switch is important. Having 2 12 inch speakers or 4 10 inchers is important, IMO. The bigger speakers move a lot more air -- they sound fuller and better at low volumes, ironically, compared to the output of smaller speakers.

The weight is a wash -- it's a lot heavier, but it means you can gig it more easily. You may not care about this right now, but one never knows. It also improves resale, I believe.

That was my next question. I was wondering how the 4x10s differ from the 2x12s - thanks

• Members

Originally posted by k4df4l

When I bought mine, I had the chance to play several different classics side by side and wound up leaving with the 50w 4X10. Head on down to your local dealer and see if you have a preference.

I thought they were discontinued and are only available used? I guess I can check if my local shop has any...

• Members

Originally posted by guitarNed

I like the EL84 too!

how would you compare 6v6 to EL84

• Members

I have both.

If you can find one you like I would start out with the Classic 30.

Fantastic amp.

The only thing I wish it had was a Standby switch.

The 50 is also a great amp.

Mine has 4X10 and realy kicks ass.

I'll be jammig with a blues band in a couple of months and plan on bringing my 30.

I shouldn't need my 50.

They both can get some great tone at low volume too.

You just have to play with it a little.

Good luck in your search.

The Bear

• Members

Classic 50.

Meaty 6L6s.

I had a Classic 30, it was my first amp. Kinda cool, but I dont like EL84's at all, so I sold it.

Plus, I need more of a Marshally type amp, so I got a Laney.

• Members

Classic 50 has more a more pristine clean power section.

Classic 30 is a little more... juicy... or squishy... or something...

I got the C30 and am thinking that maybe I should have gotten the C50. If I had the C50, I would probably feel the other way.

• Members

I have a classic 30. I still can't crank it above 5 (11 o'clock) yet in gigs. {censored} is loud.

boy does it sound sweet though. eats up my pedals very well, cleans are sweet, the distortion is sweet. (needs to be cranked fairly high though)

Archived