Anyone tried or own the new Focusrite Liquid Channel?

• Members

I've been reading about it, and it sounds very interesting. If it's anything like the POD as far as modeling quality, I would pass on it. But it's suppose to emulate 40 mic pre's, 40 compressors, and I guess some EQ options. It's also an A/D and D/A converter as well. Anyone tried one? Heard one? Thanks guys:thu:

• Members

I haven't used it, but I'm pretty leery of advertising that promises me the moon, a cure for cancer, and diced tomatoes all in one device. I'm kind of old-fashioned, though, I guess. I'd rather work on getting a good sound with the mics and preamps I have as opposed to emulating something else.

That said, I don't have anything against Focusrite. I have one of their ISA-428 four-channel preamps and like it quite a bit. The Liquid Channel doesn't hold much interest for me, but that's just me.

My buddy Gearmike [he mods the Live Sound forum here on HC] brought one over a while back, along with a nice rack full of Really Good Stuff [DW Fearn, etc.], and frankly, it didn't knock either of us out when we tried it. It gave you the sense of the sound of the originals, but we both felt it was kind of "two dimensional" sounding and didn't really nail them entirely... but again, we were doing side by side comparisons with some of the "real" units it models, and as always, YMMV.

• Members

I guess I don't get the whole modeling craze. I mean, there are so many other things in the signal chain that will alter the sound you're capturing - the player, the instrument, the amp, the mic, the mic placement, the room... I'd rather focus on getting all of those things right and then use a preamp I already have.

And then when you consider that the Liquid Channel goes for $2,500 ... I mean, c'mon. For that much money you can get a Lunchbox and toss a Great River preamp in it, and an API 512c, and still have enough left over for an RNP or maybe a Brick or something. And then you have multiple channels of solid preamps instead of one channel that's supposed to sound like something else.

That's just my opinion, though. :) And I've been wrong before.

• Members

I kind of figured that the Liquid Channel wouldn't really live up to the hype. Thanks for the insight guys. I sure would like an API 512C. I wonder how it differs in sound to my API 312's on my A2D. I noticed that the biggest craze seems to be 500 series pre's . How do you get power to the lunchbox? I'm not familiar with this to be honest. How much does it take to power a few 500 series pre's? I really do like the preamp on my Vintech X73, but I decided I should just use light compression and leave the eq'ing to the mixers cause they know a lot more than me about eq'ing a vocal. So even though I really like the pre in the X73, I really don't need the eq. I bought it from Sweetwater when they were offering 1 year same as cash. It hasn't been 30 days, so does anyone know if they would let me send it back and get some different gear? And Phil, how did you like the D.W. Fearn?

I noticed that the biggest craze seems to be 500 series pre's . How do you get power to the lunchbox?

The lunchbox itself has a power supply in it that powers all the modules you have installed in it.

And Phil, how did you like the D.W. Fearn?

Incredibly sexy... but definitely not a low budget piece of gear.

As far as Sweetwater, I'm not sure what their time limit is on returning / exchanging stuff - If you're really serious about returning the Vintech, I'd call them tomorrow and ask.

• Members

It hasn't been 30 days, so does anyone know if they would let me send it back and get some different gear?

From Sweetwater.com;

"No Hassle" Return Policy:

We want you to be completely happy with your purchase from Sweetwater. If you are not satisfied with any product, you may return it for a refund of the purchase price, an in-house credit, or exchange for another product within a fair amount of time from the shipping date (30 days or so). If your purchase was eligible for Free Shipping, the shipping cost will be deducted from your credit or refund.

Returns must be in the complete and original packaging with all accessories and complete documentation (Owner's Manual, warranty card, quick start guides etc.), show no signs of wear or use and include a Return Authorization number or be subject to a restocking fee. Products like software, personal items (such as in-ear monitors, etc), and items which are not normally stocked ("Special Orders", discontinued products, close-outs, used products, etc.) are not returnable.

• Members

Tried it when it first came out... {censored}tiest sounding two dimensional piece of crap I'd ever experienced. Tried one again recently when a friend/client got one to try out and brought it over to the joint for us to evaluate together.

We found it to be a complete and total unmitigated turd and waste of money.

He returned it the next day and purchased something else from the vendor where he got the LC that was actually useful for his needs... in other words our shop didn't profit from the experience/evaluation.

The A/D-D/A is crap, the emulations worse, and the latency still a pain in the arse.

If you have that kind of money I'd suggest you invest in one or two real tools that will give you a real sound as opposed to that "dull Swiss Army knife" that does a lot of things... just none of them well.

Peace.

• Members

I don't know how it's selling. It just doesn't appeal to me at all - I've never even felt much of an urge to try one out. Isn't the whole point of "emulation" supposed to be that it makes things cheaper while still giving you (a somewhat reasonable approximation of) "that sound"? So a unit that costs this much just to make it try to sound like something else ... no, thanks.

Archived