Question: WTF is with people saying "Man, that's great vibrato!"

adamrobertt

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by adamrobertt

Seriously. It's so {censored}ing easy...has anyone actually had a problem with wiggling their finger up and down? Or is it just the internet way that {censored} players who struggled with this momentus task feel better about themselves?

Thats a pretty silly statement. It took me a couple of years of playing before I had anything resembling a decent vibrato.

• Members

Originally posted by des67

Thats a pretty silly statement. It took me a couple of years of playing before I had anything res

embling a decent vibrato.

Why though? What's so hard about it? I really just don't get why people praise vibrato, it's one of the simplest techniques there is for guitar.

I never had a problem with it. Or barre chords. Or 9th chords. *shrug*

And yet I can't shred. :mad:

• Members

It's all about playing the right vibrato for the song. Knowing when the vibrato should be fast, slow, wide, narrow, even, or uneven can make a huge difference in the feel.

A one note solo can be amazing with the right vibrato.

• Members

FWIW I agree with de67 on this. When I listen to BB King, I admire his vibrato. I don't feel (for example) that my own vibrato is as good. I try to make mine better. I work at it. It gets a little better, with practice and effort.

I am not doubting that your vibrato is superior, and done with little effort on your part. I do not think that this ability is generally effortless, for many players.

BTW, check out BB King on video some time. He doesn't "wiggle" his finger. He sort of flutters his finger, quickly and somewhat vigorously. It is a large-ish motion, involving his entire hand.

• Members

If you think good vibrato is simply someone "wiggling their finger up and down"... I don't mean to slam you, but in all honesty, you can't be that good on the guitar.

I have spoken to several very well known players about vibrato. Players that we all would know, and hold in VERY high regard. None of them thought their vibrato was that good. All thought they needed to work more on it.

• Members

Right now, I suck at it. It looks like it's as easy as moving your fingers up and down or whatever, but in practice it's not that simple. I've been trying to play in the style of David Gilmour, and I have not yet figured out how one effectively does vibrato while bending a string. I'm already pushing the string hard, and it seems pretty difficult to get any sort of finesse in there while maintaing the bend. I used to play the cello, where vibratto I thought was really easy, and I can't get it to sound good on guitar yet.

*shrug*

-K

• Members

Vibrato is NOT a plus/minus wiggle/no wiggle situation.

Vibrato is a big part of what instills the voice and personality into an individual's playing. Vibrato is a HUGE part of what distinguishes Carlos Santana from Johnny Winter from Ritchie Blackmore, etc., and why you can tell it is them is a few notes.

There is tremendous subtlety and individuality in a given players vibrato, and I would venture to say that if one's understanding of vibrato is limited to "wiggling their finger up and down", then their playing style (unfortunately) reflects that.

• Members

its also hard to just "wiggle" your finger while bending 2 1/2 steps. a good vibrato is more than just wiggling. it should be smooth and even. some players can be identified instanly through their vibrato like BB King, Paul Kossoff and Yngwie Malmsteen.

• Members

Originally posted by Angus_Poser

Vibrato is insanely hard. If you think it's easy then you most likely arent doing it right.

Agreed. There's a lot more ways to do it than "wiggling your finger up and down."

• Members

Seriously. It's so {censored}ing easy...has anyone actually had a problem with wiggling their finger up and down? Or is it just the internet way that {censored} players who struggled with this momentus task feel better about themselves?

Your vibrato technique is...not very good, based on your own words. Maybe an instructional dvd or two wouldn't be a bad idea.

Either you weren't being serious or you really don't understand how important a technique it really is.

• Members

I agree with some others that a good vibrato technique is not a simple up down motion.

that is how people begin to discover and "grasp" vibrato - by doing it the simply way. but after getting that down and growing as a player you should discover your voice with vibrato as well, it is an effect that can emulate a vocal quality or slide tone.

so if all you are hearing when you play is the simple up/down vibrato, then youve got alot more ways to discover. using that same basic "wiggle" all the time is like using a vibrato effect pedal but leaving the control knobs in the same exact spot they were when you opened the box, and using it for years like that

how about bending a note a step or more and then applying steady vibrato to that? record it (post it if youd like) and listen. finding a disticnt and personal touch to vibrato is difficult and only comes with time.

its harder than you think to have a personal vibrato technique and sound. and the different shades of vibrato are plenty out there to be found.

you can also change it up like making your vibrato "work" in a fashion by bending the note slightly- say 1/4 step and keep the vibrato technique to a limit within 1/4 step and 3/4 step of a full bend....target that area (but stay within the pre-bent 1/4 step and the 3/4 step bend limit) with vibrato and it will imitate a slide player who is playing slightly above the target pitch for a tense-like quality, and then start to count the subtle changes when changing speed with vibrato

anyway - if its simple its only because someone uses it in the most basic way like the day they learned the technique. you can grow and let your technique and playing grow if you explore old tricks and habits but take different paths with them

• Members

i think my technique is alright, i kinda like the way it sings, but i can never bend a note up and have that same singing vibrato. down its not so bad b/c i can anchor my thumb but i swear i cant do it bending up to make it scream like you hear bloomfield do in this clip here at the 1:00 mark

• Members

Its more than just wiggling your finger up and down. In fact, the bad ones just 'wiggle their finger up and down' without any regard to what their doing. Vibratoing in time, vibratoing wide, vibratoing a note on a bend. Its a basic thing, but many people dont have a good musical vibrato.

Sometimes its the little things.

• Members

That's the equivalent of saying, "Playing guitar is so easy! All you have to do is hold down the strings and hit them with a pick!"

Kids these days. :rolleyes:

-Ron

Archived