How Would You spend 3 or 5K for a mid class Input Signal Chain?

• Members

Not a pro, looking for a Better input chain. Front runners so far are the RME ADI-2 converter and Summit SBA-221 Pre, and also some Mics (251, C12 Copies) by Peluso. Needing a better midlevel soundcard. Go with the RNC?

My feelings are going towards 1 golden channel, (er...ummmm...if you can please let me call it that-in the mid level class) rather than 2 or more channels that are more noticably compromised.

The mic shootout(s)-a personal kind of thing, but, all strategies, money saving suggestions, or criticisms --welcomed and appreciated.

Please help--You guys have been there, done that.

Best in your studios,

Greg

What DAW program are you using, and are you on a Mac or a PC?

How many simultaneous inputs / outputs do you need for you audio interface / "sound card"?

Got any clips of your voice?

I haven't heard the Pelusos yet, but I want to... but until I do, I can't comment on their sound. Maybe someone else will chime in with their opinions of them.

• Members

Got any clips of your voice?.

No, but let me consider that, internet collaboration in this area is new to me, but please don't take that the wrong way Phil, cause I value the insights. Hey, let me ask , Is it even possible to produce a worthwhile clip for these purposes starting with low end gear and a bright almost sizzly mic?

• Members

2 would get it done, at least as I perceive it now. Digital drum set, for example, is limited to stereo outputs, ((Ok OK, guys go ahead and shake your head and laugh at me
:facepalm::)
) which also contains USB BTW. No intention to track bands.

I would consider 2 good channels because there's a lot of situations where you'll wish you had 2. I think for that budget you could get yourself 2 channels of really good conversion, 2 good mic pres, a good mic and have some change left over for compression but....

Don't rule out something like a Yamaha N12 or the new Steinberg MR816 CSX both of which I've heard stellar reviews about the sound and espicially if your going to run Cubase 5. This stuff just keeps getting better and better

Don't rule out something like a Yamaha N12 or the new Steinberg MR816 CSX both of which I've heard stellar reviews about the sound and espicially if your going to run Cubase 5.

I have not played with the Steinberg unit, but I have spent some time with the N12, and it (or the smaller / more affordable N8) would be a great interface / control surface for someone running Cubase. It integrates very well with the program, and the mic preamps and converters sound very good. At around $800 for an N8, you'd still have a decent amount left over for a nice mic, or even a nice mic and external preamp... and if you ever wanted to run stereo, you could use the Yamaha's preamps. Plus, the extra channels would allow you to connect more of your stuff, like that drum machine, and leave it plugged in, ready to roll when inspiration strikes.

Good suggestion Dave. :cool:

• Members

[but I have spent some time with the N12, and it (or the smaller / more affordable N8) would be a great interface / control surface for someone running Cubase. Good suggestion Dave.

Does the N12/ N8 get MIDI data into the daw channels nicely from my keyboards? It Obviously does analog well. Select MIDI input from within the DAWS, right?

Archived