WORST Strings you've tried?

geek_usa

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by theAntihero

Gibsons Humbucker 10-46. Literally died as i was tuning up my guitar after just putting them on.

You know, that's weird that you say that. I've heard great things and bad things about their strings. I bought a {censored} ton of them a while back because nobody would buy them (they were very expensive). I got them for a huge, discounted price. They were excellent strings, and lasted quite a while.

• Members

I like GHS strings, they're what are on all my electrics at the moment. I've also liked D'Addarios for electric. D'Addario on my bass, Elixirs on my acoustic.

I used to use Ernie Ball before I knew better. I'll never use those things again. I just don't like changing strings enough to want to do it every day and a half or so.

• Members

I've been using Ernie Balls for the past 3 years without any problems at all. I guess I'll try something else for my next pack to see if I really notice a difference. I had tuning problems on my Ibanez RG570, but I blamed that on the iffy setup/beat hardware.

I LOVE the tone of the EBs. The first week or so, they just sound so crisp. Do any other strings sound like them? Or is that what you don't like about them?

• Members

GHS boomers 11's-50's, would not wear in for 2 weeks, then was in it's sweet spot for about 2 days. Ernie balls became black on me... but worth it if you get like a pack a week from sponsorship.

Best would have to be the gibby strings and fender strings....

• Members

Electric: I don't care for Fender Bullet strings. The bullets always stuck in the sockets on the small strings and were the devil to get out.

Accoustic: Martin string in the black and red box. They just sounded bad.

Tip, want your strings to last longer, wash your hands (with soap) before you play everytime and when you are done, wipe down the strings and neck. It really works.

To go along with the above, don't leave you ax out of it's case, seal it back up and protect it. Leaving it out after you play it let dust and crap get on it just like the furniture in your home.

• Members

whats all this {censored} about strings breaking? iv been playing about a year now and when i got bored with something im learning because i cant get it right (which happens every day) i just up the gain and slam those strings as hard as i can for about 5 minutes until i relax again and get back to what im trying to do:thu: never broke a string yet, i use d'addario 10's and change them after a month of this abuse

• Members

I got to give the title of "worst strings" to Ernie Balls, Dean Markeley's are a close second. The EB's just feel crusty and {censored}ty after only a few plays. I have owned 4 Ernie Ball/Music Man guitars and stil own 2 of them, so I love the company but I just hate their strings.

I used to use D'Addario's until I discovered DR's. DR's are flat out the best strings I've used.

• Members

It's interesting some of you mention the Fender strings. I've heard a lot of bad things about them but i've personally never had a problem with them. All the Fender guitars come stock with them and I've purchased a couple packs of Fender Bullets. I think I had one pack where the G string broke on me, which I was not very satisfied with, but considering all the guitars I've played and/or bought with Fender strings installed, I'd say 90% of my experience with them has been good.

It's also interesting about the Dean Markley. I have never tried the standard strings, but I have tried the blue steel and love them. Sometimes they're a little stiff, but play with them a little and they will loosen up. Plus the fact that they are steel and not nickel like most strings.

I agree with the GHS and EB strings however. I hate them! :rolleyes:

I have to say my favorite strings are DR. Next in line is SIT, followed by D'Addario. :thu:

• Members

The reason everyone hates GHS nowadays is because of a couple years ago when they started showing up in Wal-Mart, CostCo, etc.

They needed to step up production to 3x that of what they were putting out the previous year. It took a monster of a hit on the final product. And they've never recovered, or at least even tried to. It's sad, they used to make a good string.

Archived