Strat setup help

FWAxeIbanez

• Members

I can't tell much from those crappy pictures except the side shot makes it apparent the action is way high. Beg, borrow or steal a better camera.

Having said that, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say I think your trouble is with the tremelo springs. It kinda looks like your bridge is floating more than the (for me) preferred 1/8" at the back.

Go to the Fender web site and read the set-up guide.

• Members

Your pics are blurry and dark, but that side shot (from what little bit I can make out) looks like your neck isn't mounted right. It looks like the neck is pointing up away from the body at a much steeper angle than it should. Are the neck bolts all nice and tight? Have you loosened the neck bolts before and possibly had a shim move in the neck pocket?

~Blackbelt

• Members

It's a hardtail, right?
It definitely looks like the neck is mounted wrong or loose. It seems to be angling forward.
It should be parallel with the body or angling back very slightly.
Are the top two bolts tight?
Loosen the strings, take the neck off and reassemble making sure that the neck sits squarely and evenly in the pocket.

• Members

"Yeah, the strings I had on before didn't say what they were made of and were purchased at target... The only reason I bought them was because I was involved in ebay drama and needed to make sure the guitar was completely functional asap... They might have been 9's but they were basically like "Toy Strings""

Get some good strings!

"as far as the taking all the strings off... I know it won't hurt anything, but you are always asking for trouble doing it that way... action, intonation, something usually gets thrown out when you do it like that..."

I wouldn't say that. The only differnece it will make is taking longer to tune to pitch but everything else should stay neutral. Intonation is always going to drift a tiny bit when changing strings. that's why you should always check intonation after stretching your strings.

"Cranking the truss rod to fix your action is like treating the symptoms instead of the cold or flu in a way... I understand that bad action is a byproduct of a poorly adjusted neck, and that fixing the neck can fix the action, although it shouldn't be the first thing you turn to if your action sucks... is my understanding correct?"

You should know if it's the neck. it's really not all that complicated dude. if it looks much higher at the twelvth fret, then you have a front bow and the truss should be tightened. Remember, you want the action to be consistant throughout the neck but not totally streight.

"Gawd I hate being a noob... I sound like I just started playing guitar yesterday or something. Target strings, inability to find the truss rod, it all adds up but trust me I'm not completely stupid :freak::D :D :D "

You may be the best guitarist in the world and not know the first thing about a guitar setup. don't sweat it bro!:thu: i was there once until some technician {censored}ed up my guitar and i obsessivly started reading about setups and constantly practicing on my own guitars and learning from my mistakes. I evetually got good at it.

• Members

Originally posted by Blackbelt1

Your pics are blurry and dark, but that side shot (from what little bit I can make out) looks like your neck isn't mounted right. It looks like the neck is pointing up away from the body at a much steeper angle than it should. Are the neck bolts all nice and tight? Have you loosened the neck bolts before and possibly had a shim move in the neck pocket?

~Blackbelt

I'll try tightening first, are there any pictures I can take while its daylight that might prove what you're looking for?

in broad daylight my little camera does quite well

• Members
Originally posted by lowbrow

Having said that, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say I
think
your trouble is with the tremelo springs. It kinda looks like your bridge is floating more than the (for me) preferred 1/8" at the back.

Right on, so how do I fix the springs on a hardtail? :D I'm not tryin to be rude man, only jokin, thanks for the try tho seriously... I really appreciate all the help

• Members

Originally posted by roemerrock

FW,

How straight is the neck? press down on the first and last fret on the low E string and check if there is a gap between the bottom of the string and the top of the 8th fret. This will give you a rough idea of how straight the neck is.

When I did this, there was a gap over the 8th fret... its not a huge gap but I've seen shredders with thier entire action set that low before...

I've tried this before by the way and it's why I started asking about the truss, this means I have too much relief right?

• Members

Oh and I want to make one thing clear... a shim is a thin piece of wood used to make the neck fit tighter in the neck pocket right?

I'm not gonna mess up the shim if I start honking around with a screwdriver am I? I don't know why I never noticed this before, but it really does look like the neck is at a wierd angle with the body... Between the neck having too much relief and the neck being out of whack, I think it's adding up to the retarded action I'm having to deal with

Archived